Which should I choose

University of Washington
 14 (29.2%)
Boston College
 28 (58.3%)
University of Colorado
 6 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: HELP!! The end is near! U Washington, Boston College, or Colorado  (Read 1287 times)

Stuje1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers Profile
    • Email
Ahh!  It is finally decision time.  I am deciding between BC, UWash, Colorado. I have until the weekend to submit my final deposit.  I need some advice.  THANKS FOR ANY HELP! ;D  Please leave comments, they would be appreciated!  You guys are the best!

-I have no strong preference on where I will end up practicing (I would be happy to end up any of the school's nearby cities)
   -Money (cost) is only one of many factors that I take into consideration, it is in no way  the deciding factor...I have a 10K scholarship to CU (and then in-state 2L and 3L), and in-state 2L and 3L at U Wash.
   -So I guess things that do matter to me are: professors interesting, job prospects, students friendly, nice law building, fun law school town/city, big city nearby is nice to live/practice in, cost, nice library, pretty campus, social students, things to do (sports, bars, arts, etc),  uncompetitive environment, good career services, dog friendly city, wealth of class offerings, etc.   
8) Boston College
;D Colorado $, Wisconsin, OSU $, Indiana $, Case $$, Tulane $$$, Davis, Iowa, Hastings, UWashington
:-\ GW, WUSTL, Emory, WashLee, BostonU, Ariz, Minnesota
>:( Gtown, Mich, Nwestern, UIUC, Berk

ineedvocab

• View Profile
I would pick either of the two but BC just because I'm waitlisted at BC and really wanna go there!  :) But putting selfish interests aside, where do you want to practice east coast or west coast?

tinytim

• View Profile
Ok, I was looking at a lot of the same schools as you earlier in the cycle. I will give you my thoughts on each school.

Colorado
The area around this school is amazing. I love Colorado and wouldn't mind ending up there after law school. That being said...when I visited the schools (CO and DU) I was really impressed, but they don't have the job placement that the other schools on your list have. Top of the class can get good jobs in Denver, but the rest have it though. This is coming from someone in the career services office who took me aside and gave me his thoughts.

Washington
Never visited this school but heard it is really nice. Also very friendly and family oriented. Places well in Northwest, but not much reach outside of Pacific area. Once again top of the class = good job, middle to low end is going to be tougher.

Boston College
Also never visited but heard it was also very friendly. Also heard it is very liberal and left wing. I know there will be those who argue it isn't, but that is what I heard. Places really well in the Boston area, but also have to compete with other top law schools in Boston. They will be going to a traditional first year class schedule next year where before the schedule made it really difficult for summer employment.

Minnesota
I did visit this school and was very impressed. The Twin Cities are really clean and I enjoyed my time there. It does get cold in the winter, but not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Although many on LSD will argue about placement coming out of Minnesota, I got the impression that they do ok. Once again, top 1/3 of class will get a good job. Everyone else will get a job but it might not be your dream job.

All that being said, if you don't really care where you end up getting your first job, but you want a high paying job and don't mind the long hours, Boston College is probably your best bet. If you are concerned about quality of life and still want good pay, I would go with Minnesota as the midwest firm atmosphere is a little more tolerable than the east coast. Either school will land you a good job in their respective city if you are in the top 1/2-1/3 of the class.

Colorado and Washington are in nice locations, but I don't think they have the same placement power as your other two options, unless you want to do public service work then pick the area you want to live in and go for it.

Good luck!

st.chuy

• View Profile
I'm in the same spot.  Colorado ($$) or Boston College ($).  I went to Colorado's admitted students day and was impressed with the faculty and new building, but many students were not doing law related summer work and others seemed discouraged with the job search.  However, Boulder and Denver are tough to beat for quality of life and CU is inexpensive.   

I have not been to BC, but will go to the 1L coffee on the 23rd.  After my visit, I will make a decision.  Maybe this helps, i have been lurking for awhile and this is my first post.  I look forward to your decision, might help me out.     

Stuje1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email

Thanks everyone for your comments!  I responded to each of them below….

I would pick either of the two but BC just because I'm waitlisted at BC and really wanna go there!  :) But putting selfish interests aside, where do you want to practice east coast or west coast?

I'm not exactly sure what the other school was you were referring to, but I am guessing you meant U Wash.   You know, I am not really sure which coast I want to be on.  My family is on the east coast, so it would be nice to be near them, but I also like being independent and adventurous, so the west coast would be fun.  I hope you get off the waitlist at BC!

Ok, I was looking at a lot of the same schools as you earlier in the cycle. I will give you my thoughts on each school.
Colorado and Washington are in nice locations, but I don't think they have the same placement power as your other two options

Thanks for all the great info on each of the schools!  Really helpful.  ;D  That is nice to know about the careers services officer at CU....I have kind of felt that was true, but interesting to hear someone at the school say it.   The long hours, high-paced legal environment in Boston isn't exactly my ideal scenario.  I think I would enjoy the more relaxed twin cities, seattle, boulder/denver attitudes.   However, as you noted, BC (and Minn) probably gives me the most flexibility for job prospects, and possibly to change locations at a later date.

I'm in the same spot.  Colorado ($$) or Boston College ($).  I went to Colorado's admitted students day and was impressed with the faculty and new building, but many students were not doing law related summer work and others seemed discouraged with the job search.  However, Boulder and Denver are tough to beat for quality of life and CU is inexpensive.       

yeah, I think I would have the best quality of life experience at CU.  The area is just so beautiful and the weather great.  I really loved Boulder....reminded me a lot of Madison (where I am now).   How did the new building look?  You said a lot of students didn't have law related jobs, where these 1Ls or 2Ls? Were they just non-paying jobs, but still at least related to law, or just completely non-law related (like working at fast food restaurant?!  ??? )  I am worried about the job prospects out of CU.  While I might enjoy my three years there, I might not be enjoying the rest of my life if I am working a crappy job.   Think it would be possible to hit up Denver with a BC law degree?

8) Boston College
;D Colorado $, Wisconsin, OSU $, Indiana $, Case $$, Tulane $$$, Davis, Iowa, Hastings, UWashington

tinytim

• View Profile
So where are you leaning towards?

I too would like to get into the Denver market after law school, but from what I have heard it is killer if you are not in the T14. They take some from CU and DU who are in the top 5% of their class and then only T14 schools.

johnproctor98

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
I would say UW. But, then again, I'm from Oregon and I'm biased towards the West Coast and think Seattle is a great city.
In: Boalt, Georgetown, NYU
Waiting: Stanford, Columbia, Michigan, University of Washington

LSN

optimusprime29

• View Profile
I faced this same decision (except for Minnesota) and ended up choosing BC (I start in the Fall).  I really liked the UW's low-key, low-pressure feel and Colorado's location can't be beat.  But BC is far and away the most national of these schools.  I am originally from the PNW (Portland) and am now living in Southern California, and when I was making my decision almost every single person I talked to from both regions (lawyers, professors, etc.) was much more impressed by my BC acceptance than UW or CU.  Unless you know for sure that you want to practice in the PNW (which UW dominates) or the Mountain Region (which CU dominates), I would not hesistate to pick BC.  For me, I am attracted to the city of Boston's reputation as the Athens of America, its high quality of life, BC's remarkably collaborative students, and BC's superior job prospects.  It may be more expensive, but I think the portability and prestige of a BC degree are worth it.

Stuje1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
So where are you leaning towards?

I too would like to get into the Denver market after law school, but from what I have heard it is killer if you are not in the T14. They take some from CU and DU who are in the top 5% of their class and then only T14 schools.

Jeez.  Sounds rough (sound similar to Boston and Seattle too, heard tough to get into the market if don't go to school there or T14).  I would hope they take more than just the top 5% at CU/DU...Where would the rest oft he class go.  I can't imagine the rest of colorado is big enough to support 95% of the class...maybe that is why they have trouble with jobs.    I am not sure where I am leaning towards right now...maybe slightly towards BC

I would say UW. But, then again, I'm from Oregon and I'm biased towards the West Coast and think Seattle is a great city.

I've heard nothing but great things about seattle (minus the weather).  People seem to really love it there.

I faced this same decision (except for Minnesota) and ended up choosing BC (I start in the Fall).  I really liked the UW's low-key, low-pressure feel and Colorado's location can't be beat.  But BC is far and away the most national of these schools.  I am originally from the PNW (Portland) and am now living in Southern California, and when I was making my decision almost every single person I talked to from both regions (lawyers, professors, etc.) was much more impressed by my BC acceptance than UW or CU.  Unless you know for sure that you want to practice in the PNW (which UW dominates) or the Mountain Region (which CU dominates), I would not hesistate to pick BC.  For me, I am attracted to the city of Boston's reputation as the Athens of America, its high quality of life, BC's remarkably collaborative students, and BC's superior job prospects.  It may be more expensive, but I think the portability and prestige of a BC degree are worth it.

Glad to know someone was in a similar situation.   I completely agree with your thoughts on all 3.  It seems to be low key UW vs beautiful Colorado vs prestigious BC.  All 3 are very nice, and it is hard to choose one over the other of those.  I am not set on the PNW or mountain west, so BC might be the best option...to keep my future options open.  That is really impressive that lawyers on the west coast are more impressed with BC over CU and UW.  That really is a big deal that the BC has a name across the country.   
8) Boston College

Stuje1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
No More Minnesota
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2006, 03:21:34 PM »
I just spoke with the Minnesota admissions office, and I basically have no chance of getting in (it is either waitlist or rejection)....so I took that option off the poll.   If you voted for Minn, you can change your vote!  ;D
8) Boston College