Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: So I changed my ethnicity to African-American on my social security file  (Read 3343 times)

Toogie

• View Profile
    • Email
Yes, I am beautiful. ;)

I've always wanted to be an expat. I know this country is much better than most but I think our reputation has really been damaged and it'll take a while for it come back. So till then I'll be abroad, studying and working! But I like the amount of money us Americans get paid so I'll probably be working for an American firm with intl offices. :)

Sounds good.  Are you really into politics - it seems as though you are since you are so concerned (rightfully so) with the nation's sullied reputation.   :)  It'll get better; bush will be gone soon 

I try to be apathetic but I just can't.
I think what Bush has set in motion will last for years to come though. This culture of fear which pervades our society. For goodness sakes we have whole classes at law school specifically created for working under the new rules created by the Patriot Act and other ignorant legislation. The creation of an entire new senior department of government that overseas domestic and foreign efforts? Putting an army guy in charge of intelligence? Ya, this won't be undone soon.

finally

Yes, I am beautiful. ;)

I've always wanted to be an expat. I know this country is much better than most but I think our reputation has really been damaged and it'll take a while for it come back. So till then I'll be abroad, studying and working! But I like the amount of money us Americans get paid so I'll probably be working for an American firm with intl offices. :)

Sounds good.  Are you really into politics - it seems as though you are since you are so concerned (rightfully so) with the nation's sullied reputation.   :)  It'll get better; bush will be gone soon 

I think what Bush has set in motion will last for years to come though. This culture of fear which pervades our society. For goodness sakes we have whole classes at law school specifically created for working under the new rules created by the Patriot Act and other ignorant legislation. The creation of an entire new senior department of government that overseas domestic and foreign efforts? Putting an army guy in charge of intelligence? Ya, this won't be undone soon.

Very true.  I agree with you.  What he's done will follow the nation for years to come.  I just think well hope that the country has learned its lesson and will actually vote in a more intelligent direction next time. I'm a Democrat and vote strickly down the pary lines but I don't even care if a Republican got into office next time.  Just someone better!  Almost Anybody would  be better than him!!!! 

But enough politics.  ;) 8)  I'm curious as to your living situation when you go over there. 

Toogie

• View Profile
    • Email
Yes, I am beautiful. ;)

Very true.  I agree with you.  What he's done will follow the nation for years to come.  I just think well hope that the country has learned its lesson and will actually vote in a more intelligent direction next time. I'm a Democrat and vote strickly down the pary lines but I don't even care if a Republican got into office next time.  Just someone better!  Almost Anybody would  be better than him!!!! 

But enough politics.  ;) 8)  I'm curious as to your living situation when you go over there. 

Well you can come live with me anytime ;)

Toogie

• View Profile
    • Email
I'd say thanks for the input but I never asked for your opinion. =p

Toogie

• View Profile
    • Email

one step ahead of ya

Never asked, never said thanks. But please,feel free to keep posting and "stepping" in the wrong direction LOL.

finally, I'd like to live in Paris or Toronto for when I start working. How about you? Gonna stay in Florida?

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
  • you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile

one step ahead of ya

Never asked, never said thanks. But please,feel free to keep posting and "stepping" in the wrong direction LOL.

finally, I'd like to live in Paris or Toronto for when I start working. How about you? Gonna stay in Florida?

no thanks necessary.
as for the latter, please speak to me in three/four years when you are trying to find gainful employment.

Toogie

• View Profile
    • Email
Well with 2k+ posts already, I'm sure you'll be here for a very long time. LOL. Till then. Ciao doll.

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
  • you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
Well with 2k+ posts already, I'm sure you'll be here for a very long time. LOL. Till then. Ciao doll.

indeed.  Allez-y!

edit: if you really want to practice abroad you'd be better served going to a better ranked American program or strictly going to a foreign univesity--going to either the Vermont/Cergy or Detroit/Windsor program will cost you more money than necessary and won't open any more doors for you.  If you want to practice in Paris, you'd be better off going to Paris I or just going to a top 14 law school.  If you really want the JD/LLM combo look into the programs at Cornell and Columbia.
In terms of Canada, obviously Toronto has the strongest rep, but Windsor is a good institution--the Detroit degree won't open more doors for you here so if that is what you want, just go to Windsor.  Keep in mind that the salaries for attorneys in Canada tend to be lower which is why many Canadians come over here to work/go to school.                                                                                                                 

finally

one step ahead of ya

honestly I think I'm a little obsessed with Florida!  I went down there in undergrad and am dying to go back! 

Toogie

• View Profile
    • Email

one step ahead of ya

honestly I think I'm a little obsessed with Florida!  I went down there in undergrad and am dying to go back! 

So where are you now? Does it suck or something?