Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: So I changed my ethnicity to African-American on my social security file  (Read 3481 times)

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
I think I'll do this. 
Who knows, maybe you and Toogie are brothers.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

Toogie

• View Profile
    • Email
I think I'll do this. 

You should embrace who you are my brother.

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
It's really strange how no one wants to be black until law school. Then, they only want to be black to get in and then magically revert back to an ORM.
Toogie, I hope that when you get to law school you will join BLSA.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

Toogie

• View Profile
    • Email
I've already been accepted to law school in France.  ::)

And you could say the same thing about undergraduate education as well? Or an MBA program, or med school, applying for a job, etc etc. I just posted this because I was quite surprised that when I went to get my replacement SS card that they had me down for Caucasian.

finally

It's really strange how no one wants to be black until law school. Then, they only want to be black to get in and then magically revert back to an ORM.

hmmmmmm. well all the law schools knew i was black.  Undergrad too.  I  checked off the SS African American (non-hipanic) box because I felt like "why not"?  I'm actually black, tho  :-X

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
I've already been accepted to law school in France.  ::)

And you could say the same thing about undergraduate education as well? Or an MBA program, or med school, applying for a job, etc etc. I just posted this because I was quite surprised that when I went to get my replacement SS card that they had me down for Caucasian.
I don't think being a minority helps with getting a job -- unless there is a place that is making a deliberate effort to recruit minorities. Trust me, being a minority has NEVER gotten me a job -- it has cost me at least one job, however.

Anyway Toogie, I'm not so into defining people in narrow categories, but it seems a little odd that you would suddenly out of the blue decide you are an African American.

-TMcGraw

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth

hmmmmmm. well all the law schools knew i was black.  Undergrad too.  I  checked off the SS African American (non-hipanic) box because I felt like "why not"?  I'm actually black, tho  :-X
Well of course finally I wasn't referring to you. If you are actually black or of black heritage then you're not deciding to be black for convenience, then reverting back to (whatever) when it's inconvenient.

As for me, I identify as biracial, for better or worse because that is what I am.

-TMcGraw

finally

Well of course finally I wasn't referring to you. If you are actually black or of black heritage then you're not deciding to be black for convenience, then reverting back to (whatever) when it's inconvenient.

As for me, I identify as biracial, for better or worse because that is what I am.

That's cool.  I feel you on that one.

Personal question- don't feel pressured to answer it, but what if the categories consist of: black, white, hispanic/latino, and  asian.  Which would you choose?   I always wondered about that because a lot of forms that I have filled out over the years only have extremely narrow categories.  In my humanitarian days, I used to cross the whole thing out and scribble "human being"- they could probably tell that my behind was black!     

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth

That's cool.  I feel you on that one.

Personal question- don't feel pressured to answer it, but what if the categories consist of: black, white, hispanic/latino, and  asian.  Which would you choose?   I always wondered about that because a lot of forms that I have filled out over the years only have extremely narrow categories.  In my humanitarian days, I used to cross the whole thing out and scribble "human being"- they could probably tell that my behind was black!     

I usually check both the black and the white box even if it says "check one." I usually check "other" and explain (biracial) or "decline to state."

The people collecting statistics need to be aware that many, many people don't "fit" into these predefined categories.
The census is realizing that.

Also, I don't see how crossing out the boxes would imply that you are black -- there are many people of many races who don't want to be so narrowly defined.

-TMcGraw

finally

Yeah, I just remember being yelled at in grade school.  I agree that the people collecting statistics are coming along.  I always feel pressured to put black because I think if I don't than that somehow means I'm ashamed.  And I'm certainly not!