Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How young is too young for law school?  (Read 5771 times)

El Chupacabra

• Yo soy el chupacabra. Rawr!!!
    • View Profile
How young is too young for law school?
« on: May 24, 2006, 01:33:58 AM »
I will graduate high school early, and plan on completing college in 2 or 3 years (including summers).  Do you guys think that 19 is too young to start law school?  Will I be able to get in at such a young age? 

El Chupacabra

• View Profile
Re: How young is too young for law school?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 02:37:08 AM »
Doesn't anybody have an opinion?  Please, people!

kmpnj

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • law school numbers
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 02:40:44 AM »
As long as your grades are good and you do well on the LSAT then you should be fine.  Although, at your age, I'd wait to make that decision.  I've switched what I want to be 5 times since high school, and I graduated within the normal timeframe.

El Chupacabra

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 03:06:11 AM »
you're up awfully late.

It's almost midnight, I have to be in bed by then.

As long as your grades are good and you do well on the LSAT then you should be fine.  Although, at your age, I'd wait to make that decision.  I've switched what I want to be 5 times since high school, and I graduated within the normal timeframe.

Oh no, I am sure that I want to go to law school.  I want to be just like Skip on Boston Legal.

kmpnj

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • law school numbers
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 03:09:53 AM »
When I was your age (God, Am I really saying that?!), I wanted to be just like Chris Berman.  I'm just saying enjoy college and let your mind and heart take you in the direction you want to go.  If at the end of the day its law school, then awesome.  If not, that's cool too.

El Chupacabra

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2006, 02:17:14 AM »
Oh no, I am sure that I want to go to law school.  I want to be just like Skip on Boston Legal.

like who?

Boston Legal was a really cool show.  Skip was this lawyer who finished law school early but couldn't get a job because of his age.  He was so awesome.  You should buy the dvd set and watch it.

Brod

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2006, 04:51:29 AM »
I wouldn't say that 19 is too young to start law school. However, you want to make sure you'd have plenty of diverse, fun, and substantive life experiences before you start school both for your own sake and to enable you to have a wealthy pool of experiences to draw upon in class and in socializing with your future classmates/co-workers. If all you can ever say is "Yeah, I finished super early, went straight to LS, and I've been working straight for the past 5 years," no one is going to be as interested then if you say "Yeah, I finished super early, took a year off and helped Sudanese refugees, or went to Fiji, or went to every museum in Europe, or drove all over America, then went to LS and have been working for the past 5 yeas," people (and employers) will enjoy you more. Honestly, take a year off. It won't kill you, you won't burn out, and you'll still be incredibly young when you finish LS.

joespecial

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2006, 06:07:23 AM »
I will graduate high school early, and plan on completing college in 2 or 3 years (including summers).  Do you guys think that 19 is too young to start law school?  Will I be able to get in at such a young age? 

If you can do all of the above, you can get into law school and you can handle it.

the original dunson

redemption

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2006, 10:30:02 AM »
I wouldn't say that 19 is too young to start law school. However, you want to make sure you'd have plenty of diverse, fun, and substantive life experiences before you start school both for your own sake and to enable you to have a wealthy pool of experiences to draw upon in class and in socializing with your future classmates/co-workers. If all you can ever say is "Yeah, I finished super early, went straight to LS, and I've been working straight for the past 5 years," no one is going to be as interested then if you say "Yeah, I finished super early, took a year off and helped Sudanese refugees, or went to Fiji, or went to every museum in Europe, or drove all over America, then went to LS and have been working for the past 5 yeas," people (and employers) will enjoy you more. Honestly, take a year off. It won't kill you, you won't burn out, and you'll still be incredibly young when you finish LS.

Uh-huh.  ;)