Law School Discussion

Making the decision

Re: Making the decision
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2006, 04:19:31 PM »
 :)
Thank you so much for this thread!  I am in such a similar situation, except that I've been out of school for 10 years, with three kids, but I'm the mom. My littlest goes to Kindergarten thia year, and I'm blowing the dust off the idea of law school that I have entertained since I was in high school.  My concern is that I have completely stayed home with my kids (we've scrimped and done without and been very blessed for me to do so) and they are used to me being very available, they have been my full time job and I'm happy about that.  Would I be trading my family's happiness for a pile of pottage?  On the other hand, if something were to ever happen to my husband, my English degree would only get me long hours with mediocre pay.  You see my dilemma.  My kids would be 12, 9 and 6 when I would start.  I would truly love your opinions, because I think being the "mom" is different than being the "dad" in the situation, (as far as how it will affect the family.)  Thank you so much for taking the time to respond...

PS azirish, does that happen to stand for "Arizona?" Curious because if I go, I would be attending Arizona State in 07.  For your situation, I really think you should go for it, or as other wise people said, continue on the course of taking the LSAT, crunching numbers etc., and let yourself feel the direction you should go.  Three years is actually very short; think how quickly the last ten have gone!!  Best of luck to you...

curry2lt99

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2006, 07:23:47 PM »
Thank you so much for this thread!  I am in such a similar situation, except that I've been out of school for 10 years, with three kids, but I'm the mom. My littlest goes to Kindergarten thia year, and I'm blowing the dust off the idea of law school that I have entertained since I was in high school.  My concern is that I have completely stayed home with my kids (we've scrimped and done without and been very blessed for me to do so) and they are used to me being very available, they have been my full time job and I'm happy about that.  Would I be trading my family's happiness for a pile of pottage?  On the other hand, if something were to ever happen to my husband, my English degree would only get me long hours with mediocre pay.  You see my dilemma.  My kids would be 12, 9 and 6 when I would start.  I would truly love your opinions, because I think being the "mom" is different than being the "dad" in the situation, (as far as how it will affect the family.)  Thank you so much for taking the time to respond...

PS azirish, does that happen to stand for "Arizona?" Curious because if I go, I would be attending Arizona State in 07.  For your situation, I really think you should go for it, or as other wise people said, continue on the course of taking the LSAT, crunching numbers etc., and let yourself feel the direction you should go.  Three years is actually very short; think how quickly the last ten have gone!!  Best of luck to you...

Natalieag,
My mom went back to school for her BA when I and my two brothers were growing up.  I know it's a bit different than law school, but I remember how my mom would tuck us in for the night and burn the midnight oil working on term papers on her word processor (late '80s before Microsoft Word).  She graduated with a BA in English when she was 40 and we were and are very proud of her for that accomplishment. We never felt slighted by her efforts and I think that was because she did her best to integrate us into them.  My brothers and I would wait outside in the halls while she was in class and we would help her at the library.  We thought it was pretty fun.  I can honestly say being around a university that much when I was a pre-teen made me really love school.  So law school doesn't have to be something that tortures your family. Your kids might really be inspired by it and by you!

curry2lt99

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2006, 07:30:49 PM »

Oh, and don't discount the power of an English degree. My mom used her degree to become a regional manager at a market research company. Great salary and she even had a company mini-van.  You never know what opportunities will come your way.

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2006, 11:37:07 AM »
Just wanted to thank you guys for taking the time to respond with your thoughtful comments.  Just received some news yesterday that my 1/2 day Kindergartener is being changed to full-day (without my knowledge or desire).  I'm not happy about this at all, I feel like they have just stolen a year away from me with my little boy.  He's reading and everything before he even starts, it's not that he's not ready, he will be fine, I just don't think it's necessary or even advisable for 5 yr olds to be in school that long.  Mainly it's probably that I'm not ready.  Anyway, the idea of my kids all unexpectedly being in school all day makes me realize how empty I feel without them, and that I need to take a step forward in a new direction, so I guess I'm feeling more clarity about my decision.  Things happen for a reason I suppose...Mainly just wanted to say thank you...Good luck to those of us studying for September! ;)