Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How Many Years...  (Read 1730 times)

dsds3581

• View Profile
How Many Years...
« on: January 31, 2004, 04:51:45 PM »
How many years do you have to be out of school in order to be considered a non-traditional student?

Andrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I just think the thing should work properly."
    • View Profile
    • Andrew Sinclair
Re: How Many Years...
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2004, 11:10:35 AM »
I think "non-traditional student" is more of a mentality than an actual defined term.  The traditional student is probably straight out of college (and went to college straight from high school) or took one or two years to work.  Traditional students probably don't have things like kids, houses, careers, spouses, etc.

You can be in any group you want though.  Non-traditional student groups are very accepting - I think that's the whole point.  And there are no special clubs or message boards for "traditional students".

lawschoolafterdark

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School After Dark
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2004, 11:42:52 AM »
Andrew is on the mark with his comments. Non-traditional students usually define themselves on several levels.

1. Having been out of school for a few years.  If you have voted in more than 3 presidential elections it's pretty safe to assume your a non-traditional student.

2. Having family responsibilities.  If you have a spouse, a couple kids and a mortgage. You fit the bill.
Look in your driveway...Do you see a minivan or other mommy assault vehicle?

3. You have a full time job while going to law school. 

4. If "traditional students" ask you what class you teach or boy scouts offer to help you cross the street.

5. If you itemize on your taxes. That is a good hint but not conclusive evidence.

I think you get the picture.  My "non-traditional" aquaintences include single parents, retired military officers, doctors, a mother of 5, people who have adult children practicing law, police officers, a stripper,firemen, a steel worker who has rotating shifts, stay home dads, and a few immigrants.

David Bakody

• LSAT 151 GPA 3.53
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2004, 03:42:08 PM »
I go into a local espresso bar to buy a Mocha.  Very cute girls work behind the counter (I might be married, but I'm not dead).  I order my Mocha and sit down by a window.

A few minutes later I hear the one cute girl say to the other cute girl - "Where's this go?" and the response is "It's for that old guy by the window..."

I'm the OLD guy by the window!

I knew then I was a non-traditional student, plus that being in your mid 30's is old.

Marnet

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2004, 09:44:27 AM »
David...you're funny! Thanks for your great posts. And, to me, based on my age, you're a younster!
In answer to the question about age...I recently spoke to a school that graduated a 73 year old and honored him at graduation! More and more schools are seeking older applicants/students. We bring experience, maturity, and diversity to the arena. I think the point to consider is how one approaches life itself and sees themself in the overall picture. My uncle worked with a clear mind and unbelievable energy until he was 93! And there are people in their 30's and 40's who have  flipside attitudes and are passive about life.

tshavard

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2004, 01:40:56 PM »
hey guys..here is our deal..my wife and i have a two year old and im in my mid 30's...i have a masters in chem what are the chances for me? we must stay in texas. any advice would be appreciated. we need help !!

lawschoolafterdark

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School After Dark
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2004, 06:11:04 PM »
I think all of the school in Texas are ABA so your LSAT will decide where you have a shot.  Several Texas schools have part-time and evening programs.  I have a list of links to part-time and evening schools on my web site.

www.lawschoolafterdark.com

ajlynnette

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2004, 08:56:28 PM »
ts,

what kind of GPA did you have on your masters? and what kind of chem did you get your degree in? i'm thinking of getting my masters and then applying to law school (albeit mine would either be in bio, micro, or public health). have you tried any practice LSATs yet? just curious about your numbers. thanks and good luck to you!

aj :)