Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: scholarships/aid at top schools  (Read 3101 times)

PsychJK

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
scholarships/aid at top schools
« on: August 11, 2004, 08:46:18 PM »
I have an LSDAS GPA of 3.89 and an LSAT score of 168.  I'm currently in a clinical psych Ph.D. program & will be receiving my master's in November as part of the training.  (Obviously, I'm wanting to leave my Ph.D. program to attend law school).  I have a 4.0 GPA in grad school.  I'm applying to a few schools in the top 14, but I'd like to apply a little further down the list to schools that will not only accept me (hopefully) but possibly offer me some financial assistance.  I've heard Georgetown is notoriously stingy with their aid.  Anyone know of schools more giving with financial awards? (think top 25-30 schools)
Accepted: GULC, Duke, USC, NYU, UPenn, UVA, UMich, Cornell, Notre Dame, Vandy, UChicago
Pending:Columbia
Deferred: HLS

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=PsychJK

Enzyme

• View Profile
Re: scholarships/aid at top schools
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2004, 05:53:22 PM »
You should apply to #10 Duke and #17 Vanderbilt. I know a few people came on here with $20K a year plus Vandy scholarships last year. Also #19 Minnesota, #21 Iowa, and #23 Emory have some nice packages, but they are all highly sought after.

I have an LSDAS GPA of 3.89 and an LSAT score of 168.  I'm currently in a clinical psych Ph.D. program & will be receiving my master's in November as part of the training.  (Obviously, I'm wanting to leave my Ph.D. program to attend law school).  I have a 4.0 GPA in grad school.  I'm applying to a few schools in the top 14, but I'd like to apply a little further down the list to schools that will not only accept me (hopefully) but possibly offer me some financial assistance.  I've heard Georgetown is notoriously stingy with their aid.  Anyone know of schools more giving with financial awards? (think top 25-30 schools)

Ginatio

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2004, 05:57:49 PM »
if you can show a good level of financial need (which, seeing that you've been in grad school for awhile, i imagine you can), i'd apply to cornell as well.

rwhitman

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2004, 06:05:45 PM »
You should apply to #10 Duke and #17 Vanderbilt. I know a few people came on here with $20K a year plus Vandy scholarships last year. Also #19 Minnesota, #21 Iowa, and #23 Emory have some nice packages, but they are all highly sought after.

Anyone know the dig on iowa? I've heard the city is beautiful, although there is not much diversity...anything to add on this?

jd4me

• gpa 3.49/lsat Oct
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2004, 09:54:40 PM »
Jen,

A graduate from my school with a 3.83 gpa & 165 lsat got $15,000 in scholarship money to George Washington.

The Name's Dali

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2004, 11:09:57 PM »
gotta apply to G-Dub!

was it mostly merit or need-based aid?