Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Question about Law School Visits  (Read 1565 times)

Bman

Question about Law School Visits
« on: August 11, 2004, 07:49:52 PM »
So, I'm home for another week and a half and I was thinking about visiting a couple top fourteen schools in my area. Does anyone have any insight about how to handle visits like these. Are you supposed to call and make an appointment with an admissions official, arrange a tour, or just show up? Also, does anyone know if visits to a campus can provide a boost in one's admissions prospects?

Ginatio

Re: Question about Law School Visits
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2004, 07:53:17 PM »
You should call in advance, and the admissions office can arrange for a tour, have a student take you to lunch, schedule you to talk with the dean of admissions, etc.

But note that visiting the school is fairly worthless if classes aren't in session.

Also, I get the feeling that tours can definitely boost admissions chances, since it shows the school you are genuinely interested in them.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2004, 09:00:15 PM »
Also, I get the feeling that tours can definitely boost admissions chances, since it shows the school you are genuinely interested in them.

really?  wow ... all the more reason for the road trip

buster

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2004, 11:31:49 PM »
Ginatio, I hereby demand that you take me to lunch after you start at Penn. I work across the street. You're buyin'.  ;)

You should call in advance, and the admissions office can arrange for a tour, have a student take you to lunch, schedule you to talk with the dean of admissions, etc.

But note that visiting the school is fairly worthless if classes aren't in session.

dgatl

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2004, 11:36:45 PM »
So, I'm home for another week and a half and I was thinking about visiting a couple top fourteen schools in my area. Does anyone have any insight about how to handle visits like these. Are you supposed to call and make an appointment with an admissions official, arrange a tour, or just show up? Also, does anyone know if visits to a campus can provide a boost in one's admissions prospects?

make sure you ask for appointments with career services and with specific faculty.  i can only use my own case as an example, but with every school, i saw down and talked with the Patent/IP faculty to determine the program strength and job placement.

Ginatio

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2004, 12:11:18 AM »
actually... if you're a prospective student, I can probably get the admissions office to spring for it.  ;)

Ginatio, I hereby demand that you take me to lunch after you start at Penn. I work across the street. You're buyin'.  ;)

buster

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2004, 12:15:22 AM »
But I want you to pay.

I crack myself up. I admit it.

actually... if you're a prospective student, I can probably get the admissions office to spring for it.  ;)

Ginatio

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2004, 12:16:41 AM »
I'll take you to College Buffet... accept my offer at your own risk...  :-X

But I want you to pay.

I crack myself up. I admit it.

buster

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2004, 12:21:00 AM »
This is reminding me of the scene in Better Off Dead when he picks up his date to the dance and she calculates how much he should just give her up front.

Anyway, College Buffet will not do, although I will consider the Food Court at 34th & Walnut if you submit the appropriate Decent Lunch Waiver request and meet the criteria.

Ginatio

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2004, 12:26:48 AM »
I hope I don't forget the cover sheet... *gulp*  :-\

This is reminding me of the scene in Better Off Dead when he picks up his date to the dance and she calculates how much he should just give her up front.

Anyway, College Buffet will not do, although I will consider the Food Court at 34th & Walnut if you submit the appropriate Decent Lunch Waiver request and meet the criteria.