Law School Discussion

Poll

Pirate Pete

• member Em.eritus.
    • View Profile
Re: Worst Admissions Staff in T14
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2006, 10:59:59 PM »
Copied and pasted from another post.  My own fault but still made me mad.  >:(

On May 8th, I dropped off my deposit in D.C.  On May 9th, I accepted an offer from UVA and emailed Georgetown to withdraw and asked them politely not to cash my check.  I did not put a "stop payment" on the check because after researching the subject on this board, there were some responses that scared me into not doing it and that suggested that a polite email asking them not to cash the check was the better option.  I never got a response from Georgetown, and they didn't cash my check, so I thought that it was all cool.  So, late last night, I check the email and see a response to my withdrawal that says "Sorry, the deposit is non-refundable" and they cash the check today.  Now, the fact that the deposit was non-refundable is true, and I was willing to accept that they might very well cash the check anyway.  However, needless to say I am a little irritated that they waited until two weeks after I had withdrawn to even present my check to the bank.  And considering that it came through on the same day as a bunch of other payments and only a few days after the other deposit check, it is hurting me financially and I'm just mad at the no response for two weeks and then "oh, we'll cash it anyway" crap.  Oh well, considering that the reason that I didn't put a stop payment on it in the first place was because of the fact that I did in fact choose to pay them a deposit and thought that it would be unethical to stop payment on a check that I had written, there isn't anything that I can do about it anyway.  Meh.

segundo

• Red Sox- Still champs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2006, 07:35:04 AM »
Georgetown thinks that layman's prestige is everything.  They pissed me off, too.

I agree. Georgetown sucks.

Lily Jaye

• A Schizophrenic Veronica
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2006, 07:39:24 AM »
Ouch.  Sorry VHM. :(

Georgetown thinks that layman's prestige is everything.  They pissed me off, too.

No.  They just know that USNWR is rigged for small schools.  If your president won't let you change the school's funding structure, why waste your time playing a game you can't win?

My issue with them got resolved rather quickly. Maybe I learned something from my UG issues?

Lily Jaye

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2006, 07:40:44 AM »
by the way, i think it's amazing that this thing has 68 votes in a little over 24 hours, while last year the exact same poll had 17 votes over the course of a month.

It's because you're the awesomest! ;D

Lily Jaye

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2006, 07:44:29 AM »
Or that.

nmb238

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2006, 08:45:03 AM »

On May 8th, I dropped off my deposit in D.C.  On May 9th, I accepted an offer from UVA and emailed Georgetown to withdraw and asked them politely not to cash my check.  I did not put a "stop payment" on the check because after researching the subject on this board, there were some responses that scared me into not doing it and that suggested that a polite email asking them not to cash the check was the better option.  I never got a response from Georgetown, and they didn't cash my check, so I thought that it was all cool.  So, late last night, I check the email and see a response to my withdrawal that says "Sorry, the deposit is non-refundable" and they cash the check today.  Now, the fact that the deposit was non-refundable is true, and I was willing to accept that they might very well cash the check anyway.  However, needless to say I am a little irritated that they waited until two weeks after I had withdrawn to even present my check to the bank.  And considering that it came through on the same day as a bunch of other payments and only a few days after the other deposit check, it is hurting me financially and I'm just mad at the no response for two weeks and then "oh, we'll cash it anyway" crap.  Oh well, considering that the reason that I didn't put a stop payment on it in the first place was because of the fact that I did in fact choose to pay them a deposit and thought that it would be unethical to stop payment on a check that I had written, there isn't anything that I can do about it anyway.  Meh.

That is so outrageous. Id be beyond fuming. They basically took money from you for no reason. Thats just awful.

My deposit to Cornell arrived at their office the same day I got into Penn, so I called and they said "We have it in our hands, were tearing it up right now, best of luck" which I thought was really nice of them. I asked if I should put a stop on it anyway and they said it couldnt hurt.

im kinda surprised cornell admissions has gotten such a bad rap- aside from their status checker which isnt worth sh*t, they were nothing but awesome with me.

alexdn

• View Profile
    • LSN:
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2006, 11:20:25 AM »
I didn't really have too bad an experience with any office in particular, so I voted for Boalt because of that ridiculous screwup with the incorrect acceptance emails. 

na56

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2006, 03:40:07 PM »
Googler---you have to be kidding, right?

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2006, 03:53:38 PM »
I chose Penn, for the ridiculous hold-with-zero-notification time, and the dishonesty/disinterest of the office staff. I could have also chosen Columbia, for their obnoxious rejection letter, but I never called them and this poll seems more about interactions during the cycle, not the end of it.

Also, while Harvard's auto-response email says they get back to you within a few days, I sent them 3 emails during the cycle, and they never responded to one. Oh! Also they said my application was incomplete 2 months after they'd received everything from LSAC. You know, I think I want to change my vote! 

orangie

• GULC '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2006, 04:03:33 PM »

My understanding of contract law is of course very limited, but I was under the impression that when accepting or rejecting an offer, the manner of communication that is received by the offeror first is the one that counts.  Therefore, since your email had to have been received before the letter in the mail was received, the contract was void at that point.

Can anybody clear this up?  I'm thinking you may have a small claims case against Georgetown. 

you're right, but she dropped off her check at Georgetown, which means that they got her acceptance before rescission.  Still, they could have been nice about it.