;

Author Topic: .  (Read 3234 times)

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Why do people not apply early?
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2006, 10:09:04 AM »
me harsh? to who?

me=work 3 jobs, sometimes with 13 hour days, often 7 days a week. me=late applier. me=oops.

Not you, lau. Your post appeared after I finished writing my post.

I think that the case IONLY is referring to does not happen the majority of the time, at least for people still in the workforce. I really have no clue about people still in UG since I haven't been in UG for so long.

redemption

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2006, 10:15:28 AM »
me harsh? to who?

me=work 3 jobs, sometimes with 13 hour days, often 7 days a week. me=late applier. me=oops.

Not you, lau. Your post appeared after I finished writing my post.

I think that the case IONLY is referring to does not happen the majority of the time, at least for people still in the workforce. I really have no clue about people still in UG since I haven't been in UG for so long.

Yeah, well, the "I work 40 hours, and I have kids, and a hubby and a dog" excuse is just about the lamest one out there and lord knows it keeps on coming up.

If you're in the workforce and going to a ranked school is a priority, then delay until the next cycle.

If you don't care about where you end up, go for it with your half-assed application.

If you don't rearrange your life to deal properly with the LSAT and the rest, then going to a competitive school is just not a priority for you. What could be more straightforward?

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2006, 10:23:06 AM »
Most people don't want to go to the most competitive schools. I'm just talking about the average non-trad who probably wants to go to a local school and already has ties to the community he/she is in. If you just want to go to the local tier 3 or tier 4 school, you're probably not going to stress about it because you think, "I'm doing well at my job, so I should have no problem getting into [insert school here]." 

redemption

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2006, 10:26:01 AM »
Sure if a lame application will get them in with max money, no problem. But "I work" etc should never ever be an excuse for not getting what one wants. That would be very lame. Very.

Einstein

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2006, 10:27:40 AM »
my friend that wants to apply said "Oh I just figured since I was smart that I would do really good on the LSAT"
And their first practice test ended up in the high 130's..
Practice LSAT: 147(d), 150, 151,143,152, 156,161,163,161,160,157,163,158,162

University of San Diego School of Law!

redemption

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2006, 10:31:53 AM »
Sure if a lame application will get them in with max money, no problem. But "I work" etc should never ever be an excuse for not getting what one wants. That would be very lame. Very.

FWIW, i applied at the end of january because I was swamped with work before then

she's so going to kick my ass.  :-[

Yes. I would have re-applied to YLS if I hadn't gotten in and if my other apps had been rejected. I took a deliberate gamble by not applying for this coming cycle.

Excuses? Me? That will be a dark day in hell.

Water

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2006, 10:34:09 AM »
I didn't apply to any US schools until January and it didn't hinder my application in anyway. The Canadian deadline is 11/1 so when I see a deadline of 2/1 I was in no rush.

redemption

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2006, 10:35:56 AM »

and why can't everyone else be taking a deliberate gamble as well?

Gamble away. Just don't make excuses.

smiley

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2006, 10:42:05 AM »

FWIW, i applied at the end of january because I was swamped with work before then

she's so going to kick my ass.  :-[

As it's been said a number of times for people like red. who have fantastic numbers, when to apply isn't as much of an issue. And she just wrote that she was taking a risk and would've reapplied had she not gotten into a school she wanted to go to (and I have a feeling she was quite purposeful in her selection of places to apply). But I'm assuming those who are asking this question don't have their numbers yet and want to do the best they can for this first cycle.

For me, EA was not the great stress-reliever that I thought it would be. Because I do work 40 hours a week, I wanted to have some assurance by December that I would be in somewhere. Well, I was in somewhere by December, but not at any of the EA schools. Well, I take that back, one of the schools. I got deferred to the regular cycle at the other two EA schools. The other schools I received word from were just rolling decision schools that I happened to apply early to.

I think applying early, before December let's say, helps out, but EA isn't necessarily any help in that regard.

I studied all summer and September for the Oct LSAT. I worked on my personal statement all fall and kept in regular contact with recommenders. I worked on the apps online during breaks at work and went in over the weekend to complete them.

defeatist

• Sr. Citizen
  • trust, but verify
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2006, 11:05:57 AM »
I personally think it's ridiculous that it even matters when you apply.  Why do they accept applications during a four month window? If these admissions committees lack the modicum of foresight it takes to understand that quality applications might come in after Xmas, why don't they just make the deadline December 1?

It's preposterous that these law schools have been in the business for over a hundred years, some of them, and they can't figure out the relative distribution of applications across the cycle? They'll say "rolling admissions" but they can't actually manage their applicant pool in a reponsible manner before January?  Every year they're shocked that admittable applications come in after the new year -- "If only we'd known that some qualified people would be applying later in the cycle, we would have saved room!" YEAR AFTER YEAR!