Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: U of Houston, make some noise!  (Read 2563 times)

bassmaster

• View Profile
Re: U of Houston, make some noise!
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2006, 02:20:13 PM »
You can get any laptop you choose.  They say that IT people will not work on your computer if it is not the Dell model bought through UH.  However, this is not true.  There were many people in our section who did not have the Dell model and I never heard of anyone having problems getting IT to work on their computers.

ScurvyWench

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2006, 09:56:50 PM »
Just wanted to say welcome y'all! Look for an email from SBA soon. We'll start having get-togethers and happy hours for committed 1Ls next week. First one will probably be on Wed 6/7 at Dietrich's on Montrose.

Also, keep your ears open for info about bookswap where you can buy your books cheap with notes and stuff already in them.

PM me if you have any questions. It may take me a day or 2 to get back to you, but I will do so.

-SW the 2L

johnnydavis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2006, 11:43:12 PM »
I've been searching on the web for apartments around the campus area, but boy, the "ghetto" environment there seems to be no joke!!  Noise, security, and lack of maintenance are all huge concerns.  I didn't imagine it would be this bad.  I think I have no choice but to invest in a car and live off-campus....

KUHerb32, the place you live, Archstone Memorial Heights, were given very good ratings by its residents. 

sck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2006, 09:52:59 AM »
Just another random notation about UH: the area is seriously scary. My fiance worked at Yates HS, which looks at the campus -- and he filed charges on kids almost every week.

Live near the museums and Rice if you can swing it; Galleria area, Braeswood, and some of the apartments near Reliant otherwise. Look at them closely...Inside the loop is almost always going to be outrageously expensive, but just outside is just as close and often much cheaper.

Lots of good private rentals in Montrose and the Heights, as well. Especially garage apartments.

A car is definitely necessary. I can't imagine being in Houston without one.

(I'm just wandering in to peek -- applying for UH come fall...I went there ten years ago, though, for grad school. Fabulous apartments I lived in have long since been torn down, alas.)
LSN
Nontrad, with a crazy split

RichardMan84

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2006, 11:01:23 PM »
Just took a road trip to Houston over the weekend, a good 1200 miles round trip in 3 days, and took care of the living situation.  I found a place like 10 minutes from campus called Wakeforest Apartments.  Not too hot to look out on the outside, but the inside is pretty nice, the location is fantastic (10 min from campus, 5 from the Galleria, 10 from Rice bars) and it's only $670 a month for a one bedroom.  It's definitely far enough away from campus that it's not in the ghetto, but a few miles down the road it does get pretty bad.

How's everyone else's living situation coming along? 

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2006, 12:11:13 AM »
Houstonite here!

First off, you need a car in Houston. Period.

Second, don't live anywhere near the university. It's not safe. Mid-town, Rice Village, Medical Center and The Heights are much better bet.

Third, the faculty and staff are positively amazing at the law school! You will love everyone right down to the library security guard!

Good luck, Cougars!
Vanderbilt 2010

wakebrett1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2006, 01:42:59 AM »
Julie,

Great news to hear about the quality of the staff and faculty at UH. What year are you there? What type of work/internship did you do (if any) this past summer? Are you familiar with the clinical programs at UH, and if so, what is your overall impression of them?

Can you comment on the student body at UH? Are they cuthroat or supportive?

Any other comments are always apprecaited. Thanks.
University of Houston Law starting Fall 2006.

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2006, 08:38:33 AM »
I am not a law student of UH-- I live in Houston!

However, I have a story to share about the staff. I took the June LSAT at UH. My classmates and I were a bit nervous about the exam, and I called UH to see if they would allow us to take a proctored exam in Krost Hall the week before the test. They were so helpful. The assistant dean coordinated with the scheduler to allow us time to use the room. Her communication was so prompt and friendly.

We arrived for our practice, got halfway through, and then the head of security came in during our "break" to inform us that he had been going through the scheduling set for LSAT day and he believed that we were in the wrong room! I was blown away that he had actually cared to even check!

Apparently, Krost Hall was just the designation LSAC had given for the test site. The real test would be administered in a set of classrooms in the law school. He gave us a personal tour of the school, advised us on personal safety and invited us to come back over the weekend to take another practice test.

The following day, as instructed, we reported to the weekend officer on duty to let us into one of the classrooms. He was also really helpful-- everyone we dealt with went out of their way to be helpful, kind and really showed their enthusiasm for the school. I attended an open house at UH last year-- the same is true of the students.

Each of you has made a wonderful choice in attending UH. The natives call it Cougar High. After my warm and positive experience with the law center, I will take that to mean it is an extremely supportive and close knit environment. The people at this law school dispel all rumors about rude or cut-throat law schools-- UH is truly in a league of its own.
Vanderbilt 2010

sck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2006, 09:44:12 AM »
Hey, Julie.. that's great to hear. And looks like you're planning to make the drive up for the forum. I'm still on the fence.

But UH is really my top realistic choice. I'm hoping they don't hold my terrible performance in the political science PhD program ten years ago against me...
LSN
Nontrad, with a crazy split

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2006, 09:49:51 AM »
They will only look at your UG grades! They will see you've got a PhD, but they really make a point to level the playing field for all applicants to uGPA, LSAT and ECs/WE. They will definitely note you have gone on to higher education, but your lower PhD GPA isn't going to be held against you in the way a lower uGPA would-- this comes from the immediate past dean at last year's open house.

Let me know if you're going to the forum. I'm driving up that morning with another law school hopeful, and I'd love to set a time for LSD'ers to meet and grab lunch together!
Vanderbilt 2010