Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

What was the best part of Oprah's Legends Ball?

the Sunday service
 7 (29.2%)
the poem  "We speak Your Names"
 7 (29.2%)
the variety of guests
 4 (16.7%)
the fact that Whitney wasn't there, LOL!
 4 (16.7%)
Other
 2 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: Oprah's Legends Ball  (Read 4661 times)

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
Look to the left -- Look to the right

finally

ibroadrunr

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Oprah's Legends Ball
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2006, 02:12:36 PM »
tag  :-\
Work, and a PT online MLIS.  Reapply down the line.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=ibroadrunr

finally

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2006, 02:15:55 PM »

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!   >:(    Did you even see the legends ball; talk about that. 

So what'd you guys think of the black and white diamond earrings she gave out?

ibroadrunr

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2006, 02:17:51 PM »

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!   >:(    Did you even see the legends ball; talk about that. 

I didn't catch it.  Just moved and haven't set up a tv, but I'd been looking forward to it.  :'(
Work, and a PT online MLIS.  Reapply down the line.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=ibroadrunr

finally

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2006, 02:19:08 PM »
That ballroom transformation was amazing!  I was stunned when I saw what it looked like after completion.  I suggest to my wife that something like that could be done for the black men, but there are too few reputable yougins.  R.Kelly is a pedophile, Eric Benet is a philanderer.  Even the elders have issues.  Bill Cosby is lambasting the lower classes (deservedly so!).  Is it just poor reporting on the part of the press, or do black men have issues that makes it hard to celebrate their lives?

I think its both.  People in general have issues.  Nobody's perfect.  But black men's issues are publicised and repeared ad naseum in the press.  For the pedophile, we have Woody Allen.  The man slept with and married his stepdaughter (relationship commenced when he was still with her mother), yet he's widely accepted by the public and press.  For philanderers we have good ole Bill Clinton.  And even black America loves him!  

It seems like the public/press focuses on the character/personal life of a black man as paramount, despite his public works.  With a white man, the public good can overcome the private bad.  A Black man in the public eye needs to keep his private life squeaky clean, in order to avoid being tarred with the "just another thug" brush.

Agreed!

favor24

• The countdown begins...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2006, 02:52:59 PM »

I thought the earrings were AMAZING!!!  My favorite part of the whole event was the Sunday "service",  hearing all of those beautiful voices singing Gospel music was wonderful.

I definately relized the Whitney omission last night.  She is a legend- but her recent lifestyle would have put a change on the whole event.  No one probably wanted to hold their breath all night waiting to see what kind of scene she was going to make ( I saw about two episodes of that reality TV show with her and Bobby and that would have been enough for me not to invite her).

I really enjoyed the show- I think it is something everyone needs to see.  But it did make me sit and think about myself and what am I supposed to be doing to make a difference.  I mean, I am going to law school to fulfill all of these aspirations for my life I know there is something I am supposed to be doing...

I would really like to get a copy of this for my DVD collection.  I looked on Oprah's webiste but didn't see anything about her selling one.
Every obstacle presents an opportunity to improve our condition.

decisiontime

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2006, 03:08:21 PM »
I really enjoyed it and found it inspirational. Ehhmm, I noticed Whitney's absence. Maybe she was invited and turned it down. I'm glad she wasn't there but I hope she watched it on T.V.and realized she needs to turn her life around. Oh well, I checked to see if they had the dvd on sale. I think it'll make a nice gift.

| J |

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2006, 03:09:54 PM »
The gospel session was really great.  It's nice to see a real unscripted performance by some of the great black voices in history.  It really warmed my heart.
USD '09.  Sunny San Diego, baby!

finally

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2006, 04:32:42 PM »
The gospel session was really great.  It's nice to see a real unscripted performance by some of the great black voices in history.  It really warmed my heart.

yeah me too.  And I'm not that into gospel!