Law School Discussion

One more year to BOOST EC's...suggestions are needed and wanted. = )

SoCo2008

Hey guys....I have one more year left to boost my application with activities. For the past two years, I have worked part time and havent really done any EC's. I do plan on doing an internship Spring 2007. Any other suggestions on things I could do? I was thinking of starting my own club...but that may be a tad complicated. Ive always wanted to do a fundraiser...hmm maybe I just answered my own question. Anyways I would be interested in any other suggestions. Thanks  :)

Try to write for the school newspaper.

the original dunson

I have no ecs. I asked the dean at my school if I should get some on my resume.  He said they only look at your numbers unless you want to go to Yale or something anyway, and then you have to be a star.  It's not worth it.  Just work on your beerpong shot.

SoCo2008

hahaha. Im a girl by the way.  :D But thanks for the suggestions!

Da5id

• View Profile
Work on your GPA and LSAT. Do any ECs that you sincerely want to do in and of themselves.

But doing ECs specifically for apps is a waste of time. Devote that time to the library, office hours, and getting a 4.0.

rajkp

I call BS on the numbers. If numbers were the only thing law schools considered there wouldn't be any point in providing a personal statement or ECs. Hell, the LSAC could just run a computer program to match applicants with schools in the appropriate GPA/LSAT range.

I spent an extra semester in school to intern with a professor. I think that may have been one of the best decisions I made. Not only did I get a great LOR, but I got a very nice item to add to my EC resume. I was a borderline student for most of the schools I applied to, but I believe that the ECs from the extra semester pushed me into the yes pile for nearly all of them.

the original dunson

They cant do that numbers thing directly because people would sue them about the lsat being racist.

fainana

• :)
    • View Profile
    • Email
OK, so if you have high numbers, the other stuff is pretty insignificant. If you have low numbers, ditto. If you are in between, "soft factors" are what might make you get into a reach. I think the fundraiser is the best idea you've got. Joining clubs, or even starting one, seems fake this late in the game- you wouldn't have time to make a meaningful contribution, and that would show. Also, being an undergraduate research assistant or working the student government office (in an appointed rather than elected position since you probably wouldn't have time to campaign) shows you to be a contributing member to the campus community. This is just what I've picked up along the way, good luck in whatever you decide to do.

alexdn

• View Profile
    • LSN:
Of course, I'm not an admissions officer, but I would think that it's pretty easy to spot an applicant who piled on random EC's at the end of their career just in order to beef up their resume.  If this is what you'd be doing, then I think the other posters are right- your time is better spent working on bringing up your GPA and LSAT score. 

That said, if you're really interested in something for its own sake, and not only because it fills your resume, obviously you should do it.  The idea about starting your own club/activity, or organizing the fundraiser, might also be good ones, because my sense is that the schools want to see not only that you were involved, but that you involved in a leadership role

the original dunson

The problem is not so much that they will be detected as filling up their resume, ecs just don't matter enough to make it worthwhile for this purpose.