Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: emergency decision: Duke 12k/yr vs. Vandy 18k/yr  (Read 1556 times)

hombre22

• View Profile
    • Email
emergency decision: Duke 12k/yr vs. Vandy 18k/yr
« on: May 22, 2006, 06:10:52 PM »

This is in response to a JD/LLM offer from Duke (classes starting June 1). I need to decide by tomorrow. The JD/LLM program costs around $20K, in addition to the usual three-year JD tuition at Duke.

I'm tempted to do the program, because I don't have any sexy plans for the summer and I am definitely interested in a carreer in international law. On the other hand, I like Nashville, I greatly enjoyed my visit a few weeks ago, and Vandy will end up being considerably cheaper! Also, are Duke and Vandy really that different?

Thoughts???

the original dunson

Re: emergency decision: Duke 12k/yr vs. Vandy 18k/yr
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 06:12:45 PM »
Duke

The Real Dunson

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 06:14:05 PM »
Vandy

Toogie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 06:15:38 PM »
Are you fluent in any different languages? If not getting an LLM as an American student won't really help you in that field I would assume, unless you wanted to become a professor.

lope

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 06:38:07 PM »
I would go to Duke.  I visited Vandy, and liked it a lot, but it just won't open the same doors that Duke will.  In terms of job opportunities, the Duke degree will give you more than the Vandy degree.  Both do very well in the Southeast (with the edge going to Duke), but if you want to go to NYC, SF, LA, DC, Boston, or anywhere else outside the Southeast, Duke is clearly better. 

Also, Duke's JD/LLM program seems very interesting and is a great opportunity.  Sure, you'll pay a bit more to go to Duke, but I think the improved job opportunities and earning power the Duke degree will give you makes it a good investment.  You'll obviously do fine going to either school, but I personally would go with Duke.  Either way, congratulations on the Duke acceptance and good luck!

lope

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 07:00:26 PM »
Are you fluent in any different languages? If not getting an LLM as an American student won't really help you in that field I would assume, unless you wanted to become a professor.

Since English is the international language of business, I would think the LLM would still be useful even if you're not fluent in a foreign language. 

I think the students take foreign language courses as part of the Duke JD/LLM program though anyway (if they're not already fluent in another language), so even if you don't have foreign language skills at the start of the program, you will by the end of it.  Anyone know about that for sure?

tttt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 07:16:41 PM »

Since English is the international language of business, I would think the LLM would still be useful even if you're not fluent in a foreign language. 

I think the students take foreign language courses as part of the Duke JD/LLM program though anyway (if they're not already fluent in another language), so even if you don't have foreign language skills at the start of the program, you will by the end of it.  Anyone know about that for sure?

I heard there is a "foreign language fluency requirement" but that it's kind of a joke. As in, you're really no where near "fluent". You just have to take up to a certain level class, 200 or 300-class level, etc. Anyway, I heard this from someone who has an incredibly high level in one other language and at least semi fluent in a 3rd, so it could be his perspective speaking...

Toogie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2006, 07:22:09 PM »

What's the point of that? Then you could do your business without the LLM anyway if foreign language skills weren't a big deal. 

lope

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2006, 07:35:03 PM »
What's the point of that? Then you could do your business without the LLM anyway if foreign language skills weren't a big deal. 

You could still do business internationally without the LLM, but not necessarily legal business.  Generally, what makes the Duke LLM in International and Comparative Law useful is the fact that it provides the students with knowledge of international legal systems.  The foreign language part of it just enables you to use this knowledge more effectively in a given international market. 

hombre22

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2006, 07:37:24 PM »

Can anyone comment on social/community aspect of the Duke Law student body?