Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: BU/Fordham/GW/(Georgetown?)  (Read 4120 times)

EJRothman

• View Profile
Re: BU/Fordham/GW/(Georgetown?)
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2004, 10:49:52 PM »
no I didn't apply to Cornell.  I know I'd have a pretty good shot at getting into Cornell, but the thought of 3 years in Ithica, NY scares me.

I'm scared that if I apply and get in I'll force myself to go and hate the experience.  I've been a city boy all my life and from what I hear Ithica is not a good place to start a country experience.

I don't know - should I apply - what does everyone think?

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2004, 11:16:48 PM »
I think the school is worth the pain LOL  ;)
Winners: Cooley w/$, UDM
Losers: MSU, DePaul, NYLS, UI, Georegtown, WSU, PSU, Kent, Cleavland State, ASU
In Limbo + Purgatory: N/A

Law School Numbers.com

LSD Debut UGPA 3.651 Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT October 1st, 2005: 141

EJRothman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2004, 12:56:27 AM »
I dunno, man - it's a lot of pain.  I don't know if you live in a city, but if you do, spending extended periods of time in bumblef**ck is very depression.

EDIT: I just checked the Cornell Law website and the app was due Feb. 1st.  Guess that makes the decision pretty easy.

asdasd

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2004, 01:58:40 AM »
i figure cornell would be good for me since it would have less distractions...plus u going to to be so busy neways its not like u can really enjoy all that city provides....as long as i have a consistent booty call...ill be happy.

applyingsoon

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2004, 11:16:38 AM »
you're numbers are great, i too am surprised you didnt get into penn. guess its true what everyone's saying, the pool is more competitive these days cuz the job market sucks. are you going straight out of undergrad or do you have other experience?

EJRothman

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2004, 11:29:21 AM »
More on the Update front.  I called Cornell and they said that I could still apply but might not receive a decision until after April 15th (the day deposits are genreally due).  I stil don't know if I could actually get myself to go assuming I got in, but at least now I have the choice to make.

To answer applyingsoon's question - I am straight out of Ugrad.

As for wanting to be in a city, I grew up in New York City and have spent the last four years in Philadelphia.  Being in a city is not just about the attractions for me, it's a way of life.  I feel like a lot of who I am is shaped by an urban environment, if that makes any sense.  Whenver I'm in the country for more than a week or the suburbs for more than a day, I get very anxious.

Anyway, keep the opinions coming, and I'll keep everyone posted.  Maybe G'town will come through and I won't have to worry about this Cornell bull.

I still want more opinions on the Fordham/BU/GW decision from anyone who has yet to weigh in.

Thanks!

applyingsoon

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2004, 11:58:57 AM »
i would say dont settle for someplace you dont want to be (ithaca) or for a school you dont want to go to (fordham, unless you do want to go there, but you dont sound enthused). any thoughts on taking a year off to do something interesting, really snuggle up to the admin office at penn, and try to get in next year?

applyingsoon

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2004, 12:08:56 PM »
also, for what its worth, DC aint much of a city. i moved there from NYC a few years ago and was very disappointed. that said, it is a unique place to study because of the vast govt, historical, and political resources and events around you. i mean, free access to the lib of congress? cool! but dont expect to stay out later than 1pm on any weekend night!

EJRothman

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2004, 05:30:59 PM »
It is troubling that I may have to choose between a place I don't want to be (Ithaca) and a school I don't particularly want to go to (Fordham).  As for DC, I'm well aware that it's not much of a city.  I spent a semester there and found a lot more to dislike than to like.

That being said, I'm not very big on the idea of taking time off before law school.  If I had something worthwhile to do with my time then I'd consider it, but just to bum around at some one-year only job, I'm not sure it's really going to do much.  It seems every year law school gets harder and harder to get into.  Penn - for whatever reason - has been impossible to get into.  I know people with acceptances from Harvard/Stanford/NYU who did not get into Penn.  I'm not sure a year off will make a difference.  Nor will it make much difference at NYU/Columbia especially if I didn't spend my year at a particularly worthwhile job.

It's not like I face the prospect of going to a low ranked law school.  GW is 22nd, BU is 28th, and Fordham is 31st - all top tier schools.  It's just hard when all my peers seem to be going to top 5 and top 10 schools, and I'm sitting here with a Summa Cum Laude Degree from an Ivy league school and can't break the top-20.

Anyway, we shall see what happens.  Until then I shall remain borderline depressed.

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2004, 06:06:54 PM »
EJ I guess that makes choices easier (about Cornell)
You're lucky at my U summa cumme laude is 3.9 and above (it is not the top 10% of graduating class it is the number and that's it! If you had a 3.8 at my school you would have graduated magna cumme laude (and barely 'cause 3.8 is the border between cumme laude and magna). Just a tib bit of info for you  ;D Good luck at which ever school youy choose!!
Winners: Cooley w/$, UDM
Losers: MSU, DePaul, NYLS, UI, Georegtown, WSU, PSU, Kent, Cleavland State, ASU
In Limbo + Purgatory: N/A

Law School Numbers.com

LSD Debut UGPA 3.651 Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT October 1st, 2005: 141