Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: BU/Fordham/GW/(Georgetown?)  (Read 4211 times)

EJRothman

• View Profile
Re: BU/Fordham/GW/(Georgetown?)
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2004, 06:12:38 PM »
Ivy_Hopeful - not sure what you mean about making the choice easier with regard to Cornell.  I still have no idea what I'm going to do.

As for the grades, yeah I know 3.8 is law for Summa, but that's how it works here.  Magna starts at 3.6 and regular cum laude is at 3.4. I guess they figure it's harder to do well at an Ivy League school, but being here, I find that logic questionable.

-Eric

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2004, 04:26:21 PM »
EJ, I don't know where I was going with that (get married in a month and can't keep my thoughts in order) However, I do hope that you can get into G'Town they have a great program so does Fordham in fact which ever school you decide, you will have a great legal education (especially g'town and cornell  ;)
Winners: Cooley w/$, UDM
Losers: MSU, DePaul, NYLS, UI, Georegtown, WSU, PSU, Kent, Cleavland State, ASU
In Limbo + Purgatory: N/A

Law School Numbers.com

LSD Debut UGPA 3.651 Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT October 1st, 2005: 141

CarpeDiem

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2004, 07:07:34 PM »
I feel you pain.

CarpeDiem

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2004, 07:07:58 PM »
oops

your pain

Speedracer

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2004, 12:08:19 AM »
Hey whats up guys,

First of all I would advise against Cornell, I go there right now and I am in the same boat as you
 I have a 3.8 166 annd am currently chosing between BC, Vanderbilt, GW and waiting to hear from a bunch.  I got defered and waitlisted alot.  Also do not take cornell for granted it got way hardto get in I got defered and I go there lol.  I am still waiting to hear from them but I probably wont come back.  7 years in Ithaca is scary.  Right now Im leaning towards Vandy whada u guys think?

EJRothman

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2004, 06:45:45 PM »
Hey Speedracer,

Sounnds like we're in almost the exact same situation.  Both Ivy 3.8/166.  It's also good to get info from someone at Cornell already.  I'm most certainly not taking acceptance there for granded - hell I applied last minute on Feb 4th!

I can understand your pain over being in Ithaca for 4 years and dreading another 3, but how were your first three years of college?  That will give me a better indicator of how I will like it.  Also, were you originally from a city, or did you grow up in the country/'burbs?

Finally - where are you leaning in terms of where you are going?  I like a lot of things about GW, but the fact that I want to work in NYC (where I grew up) and NYC firms don't do on-campus recruiting is making me look more closely at Fordham and BU.

Sorry to pepper you with all the questions, but it's nice to find someone in a very similar position.

-Eric

Speedracer

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2004, 02:05:46 AM »
Hey Eric,

I am from Long Island, so I know what you mean by being a city kid.  I love NYC.  Cornell is a acquired taste.  If you like drinking it will not be to bad.  Mostly a bar scene but they close at 1 am which sucks.  Also girls a are something to be desired lol.  It is a beautiful school but the weather can be very annoying at times.  Id advise against GW, I hear they have horrible career services.  I am also not a fan of Fordham cause I hear the kids their are very bitter and competitive.  Personally I like a more relaxed environment.  Any reason you did not apply to Vanderbilt.  They are top 20 and have one of the best career services in the country.  Also coming from Vandy you have a great chance to be placed in NY or DC.  They give you a counselor who helps u from first year so you can end up where you want to.  ALso I hear the weather and atmosphere is amazing.  BU would be nice, I love Boston.  Yea um other schools I applied to are Duke, Northwestern, Michigan, UCLA, Berkeley, Columbia, NYU, Georgetown, and Penn.

I got waitlisted NW, Michigan, and Berkeley.
Defered Penn, Columbia, and Georgetown
Still waiting to hear from UCLA, NYU, and Duke

Fan of the dirty south even though I am a NYer at heart

-Binoy

EJRothman

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2004, 10:15:48 AM »
Binoy,

Thanks for the reply.  I can imagine Cornell is an acquired taste.  I applied so late, I'm not sure I have much of a chance to get in, and wouldn't be crushed if I didn't.  Where are you getting your info about GW's bad career services, btw?  I feel like it's hard to get information like that and welcome valid sources.  The main reason I didn't apply to Vandy is that it's in Tenn.  I'm a Northeastern city boy, and sure as hell ain't going to the deep south.  I'm sure it's a great school though - just not for me.  As for Fordham being bitter and competitive, I can definitely see that.  However, I'm pretty competitive, and currently bitter about not making it into the top schools (as of yet, still hope with G'town, and slim hope with NYU & Columbia), so that's not a big issue for me.  If I don't get into G'town, I'm going to visit BU, Fordham, and GW to compare the schools - my gut tells me that save a miriacle acceptance from NYU  or Columbia, I'm headed to either Georgetown or Fordham.  We shall see.

Good luck with UCLA, NYU, and Duke.  So are you leaning toward Vandy?

-Eric

macheko

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2004, 08:54:10 PM »
GW also places a lot of people in NYC, a majority of GW grads take the NY bar. I'm sure Fordham places better there though.

ichiban

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2004, 03:04:54 PM »
Hey EJ, I would love to hear what you had to say about your visits to those schools, because I for one do not have the funds to make these trips and I have gotten into those schools as well. (well, except for BU, it's BC for me.)  Though we would probably be weighing different factors more than others and our personal preferences might vary greatly, I would just like to get another's opinion on the schools.  Thanks!  :D