Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: BU/Fordham/GW/(Georgetown?)  (Read 4110 times)

EJRothman

• View Profile
BU/Fordham/GW/(Georgetown?)
« on: January 31, 2004, 02:02:07 PM »
Hi all,

I just got rejected from Penn which was a big disappointment.  I was kind of counting on getting in there and am now very lost as to where to go to school.  I have been admitted to BU, Fordham and GW, (and Cardozo, but don't care) and am still waiting on Georgetown, NYU, and Columbia.

I have no shot at NYU and Columbia.

Ultimately I am 100% sure that I want to be in New York no matter where I go to school.

So please help be choose between the schools I got into and G'town if I happen to get in.

moxygal

• Place Personal Text Here
    • View Profile
Re: BU/Fordham/GW/(Georgetown?)
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2004, 11:52:54 AM »
go to Fordham if you are sure you want to live and work in NYC. It places best next to NYU, Columbia, and other top ten schools.

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2004, 12:22:30 PM »
If you get in go to Georgetown  ;D
Winners: Cooley w/$, UDM
Losers: MSU, DePaul, NYLS, UI, Georegtown, WSU, PSU, Kent, Cleavland State, ASU
In Limbo + Purgatory: N/A

Law School Numbers.com

LSD Debut UGPA 3.651 Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT October 1st, 2005: 141

applyingsoon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2004, 10:08:16 AM »
and dont be a snob about cardozo. be sure to decline the offer asap so other students who really want to go there can have the opportunity.

prelaw_undergrad

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2004, 02:50:29 PM »
I say Fordam (or NYU if you get accepted).  The best bet is to go to a good school in the area you want to work.

Andrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I just think the thing should work properly."
    • View Profile
    • Andrew Sinclair
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2004, 03:49:30 PM »
A lot of people from BU end up in New York, but don't underestimate the effect of being local.  I'd say Fordham is your best option.

Maybe you'll get some scholarship money that will ease your decision.

asdasd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2004, 05:13:13 PM »
if u guys had a choice between going to a local school that is ranked lower(but has a high chance of placing u in that city)

versus

a higher ranked school out of state(which can still place u in the city u want but maybe it is not as high as the local school) but with a clearly superior education....which would u choose?

prelaw_undergrad

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2004, 07:03:43 PM »
In response to chicken's question:

if u guys had a choice between going to a local school that is ranked lower(but has a high chance of placing u in that city)

versus

a higher ranked school out of state(which can still place u in the city u want but maybe it is not as high as the local school) but with a clearly superior education....which would u choose?

I would probably choose the school with the most financial aid because I don't rely too much on US News and World Report's so called "rankings."  Plus, if I went to a local school, I could stay where I'm at and not have to worry about making housing arrangements.

HOWEVER, if I had a choice between a "national" school (like Stanford, NYU, Harvard, Yale) or a "local" school (like Houston, UNC, Miami, Washington University, LSU) I would probably choose the national school.  Only because I'm not sure where I want to work after I finish law school.  Also, "national" schools are pretty good about finding jobs for their students.

Although, if a "local" school offered me a lot of scholarships or, even, a full tuition waiver, I would give it more consideration.

EJRothman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2004, 09:41:59 PM »
I appreciate all the help guys.  Based on some research I've done about where NYC firms do OCR recruiting, it seems like Fordham is going to be the best bet.  BU/BC do seem to get some recruiting via a job fair, but I'm not sure BULS has enough of an academic advantage over Fordham to justify my going there.  I do however think that I would choose G'town should I get in, seeing as it has prestige and gets good NYC firm recruiting. 

By the way, I know I forgot to post my stats when I started this thread, but I have a 3.8 GPA from Penn (hence the reason I was so disappointed at not getting into Penn Law) and a 166 on my LSAT.

I appreciate the thoughts and welcome additional considerations I may have missed, so keep them coming.

asdasd

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2004, 10:21:31 PM »
did u apply to cornell?