Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 3 hours 'till decision: Chicago v. Duke ($$) Deathmatch  (Read 782 times)

quantum

• View Profile
3 hours 'till decision: Chicago v. Duke ($$) Deathmatch
« on: May 22, 2006, 02:29:38 PM »
I've a personal deadline of today to make up my mind, I've agonized long enough over this and any input would be appreciated before those little FedEx envelopes make their way across the country.

All set on Duke with $20/year when a late cycle University of Chicago acceptance comes in (no aid).

About me, science dork, interested in IP but more on the international side.  Living on either coast is ideal, Seattle being preferred at this point though that could change.  Ideal career course would have me working in an overseas office of a firm.

Duke has a great program, I'm honored to have even been accepted, focus on international education, lower COL, lower cost of attendance, but it's in Durham (I'm a city gal)

Chicago... What can I say, dream school before the cycle even began.  Interesting course offerings in Japanese law and lots of international students everywhere.  Intrigued by law and econ perspective.  Love the city but am concerned about the cost (total of $165k in loans vs. $105 for Duke, potentially less for both with SA pay).

Let the fight begin...

theprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
Re: 3 hours 'till decision: Chicago v. Duke ($$) Deathmatch
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 03:06:16 PM »
I agree. With how close a fit Chicago is for you, the 60k really isn't that significant of a factor, especially since you are probably going the firm route. Sounds like you'll be a lot happier at Chicago, and Chicago has much better West coast placement. Go to Chicago. Please.

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 03:07:03 PM »
Chicago, no doubt. 

Duke is great, but Chicago is the better fit for you and will serve you better if you want to work internationally.
Yale.Law.School.2010

p0six

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 03:40:21 PM »
*I* want you to go to Duke, because then maybe there will be a trickle down spot at NU for me.  But if I were you, I'd go to Chicago. Plus you obviously want to go there, so just go.

irishguy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 06:04:02 PM »
One of my best friends did the UofC LL.M. and has never stopped raving about it. You should definitely choose the Chicago JD. I have a 2L JD friend there who had slightly below mean grades and got 15 offers with top firms around the country from 2L interviewing. Basically, if you go there, you can work wherever you want. The money you refer to is not insignificant, but I think you'd be excessively discounting the value of your education by choosing Duke over Chicago for the $ amount you're talking about.

Congrats!

Alexis27

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 06:23:57 PM »
Both are great schools, and just from reading the title, I wasn't leaning in either direction as far as what advice to give, but from your post I get the strong impression that Chicago is a better fit for you, so I agree with the others that you should probably go there. Either way, good luck and congrats!  :)

assembletheways

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 06:54:28 PM »
It sounds like you really want to go to Chicago.  It's your dream school.  60k-100k + col differences is not too much to pay to fulfill a dream over the life of your career.

onmyway

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2006, 07:05:52 PM »
It seems like Chicago is the place for you.  It's a great school in an amazing city.  As a non-trad entrepreneur, I've found that happiness is the biggest driving force that defines success.  You can make up the money difference.

Good Luck!
Going back to school - Temple '09

tttt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2006, 07:20:02 PM »
So what's the verdict? BTW, are you in for fall or summer start?

quantum

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2006, 10:16:10 PM »
Thanks for the insightful input everyone.

In the end, I did what I truly wanted - Chicago.

I just needed the last bit of assurance that I wasn't being a spoiled brat by passing up the money because, in the long term, the money difference isn't all that much for a dream.

Now I can put my life in drive again, and am relieved to do so.

If anyone needs a roommate in Hyde Park, let me know!

p.s.  I was fall start at Duke, emailing my withdrawal tomorrow and somehow sad to do so on a personal level, they've been wonderful.  At least this way, someone can get off the WL!