55 (31.1%)
Girl - Big Waste of $$$
 34 (19.2%)
Guy - Symbol of your love
 41 (23.2%)
Guy - Big Waste of $$$
 47 (26.6%)

Total Members Voted: 163

Author Topic: Engagment Rings  (Read 17911 times)

Paper Chaser

• Sr. Citizen
  • http://guinnessandchocolate.blogspot.com
    • View Profile
Re: Engagment Rings
« Reply #260 on: May 28, 2007, 02:10:00 AM »
Agreed. Why spend 20K on a ring when you can put a downpayment on a house?

Because its important to live in a efficiency apartment for at least a year or two, so that we really are sure we are in love.

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 28, 2007, 08:12:17 AM »
Agreed. Why spend 20K on a ring when you can put a downpayment on a house?

Who says you can't do both?

If you spend 20k on a ring if 20k is all you have, you're an idiot. If you spend 20k on a ring because you can afford to spend 20k on something extra, you're not.

Paper Chaser

• Sr. Citizen
  • http://guinnessandchocolate.blogspot.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: May 28, 2007, 07:49:20 PM »
The average amount of mony being spent on a wedding today is 27,000. I know people at my job who slave away just so they can spend that amount on the wedding, and they do not make enough to reasonably do that. Average savings for Americans is at an all-time low. The last thing people need to be thinking about is blowing 20k on a shiny rock. How many average middle class americans can afford to spend 20k on a ring when most of them complain about the price of gas everyday?

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 29, 2007, 05:56:31 AM »
Well, that's my point really, you spend what you can afford. It's not like you need $20k to get a nice ring, there's plenty of nice rings in cheaper price ranges too. A few thousand you might have to spend, but nowhere near the 20k mark.

ljg

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: May 29, 2007, 09:14:08 AM »
Awww, KeNo, I'm sorry....I hope it goes well for you!!

Thanks, it's nothing dramatic though, just takes a while :) Oh, and I expect you to be saving your outlines for me ;)

Of course!!  ;)

smujd2007

• Sr. Citizen
  • January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: May 29, 2007, 11:15:43 PM »
Okay, that is way too much money. You can have a nice wedding for about half of that price, even less, with some planning.

I agree, its way too much money.  I personally think if you are spending more than $10,000 you are spending too much.  Your wedding is a special day, but you do not need to be going into debt over it.  Save that money for a house or something. 

quote author=Paper Chaser link=topic=63292.msg2255056#msg2255056 date=1180396160]
The average amount of mony being spent on a wedding today is 27,000. I know people at my job who slave away just so they can spend that amount on the wedding, and they do not make enough to reasonably do that. Average savings for Americans is at an all-time low. The last thing people need to be thinking about is blowing 20k on a shiny rock. How many average middle class americans can afford to spend 20k on a ring when most of them complain about the price of gas everyday?
[/quote]
smujd2007 is now an Attorney at Law!

Pugnacious

• Sr. Citizen
  • C'est law vie...
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: May 29, 2007, 11:24:44 PM »
Is Costco a bad idea for diamonds?
My cycle is officially over. Boalt Law 2010!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=pugattack

euphrasie

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - allardjr@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: May 29, 2007, 11:41:46 PM »
I think it's silly to say what is and is not too expensive. It's all relative. If you can easily spend 30k on a wedding, why not? It can be easier for one person to spend 30k on a wedding than it is for another person to spend 5k. The dollar figure is meaningless.

Okay, that is way too much money. You can have a nice wedding for about half of that price, even less, with some planning.

I agree, its way too much money.  I personally think if you are spending more than $10,000 you are spending too much.  Your wedding is a special day, but you do not need to be going into debt over it.  Save that money for a house or something. 

quote author=Paper Chaser link=topic=63292.msg2255056#msg2255056 date=1180396160]
[/quote]
Married: Seattle 2011!
Love: Fordham PT, Seton Hall PT, USF PT, Seattle PT, Lewis & Clark PT, USD PT
Like: W&M
Hate: Georgetown PT, Harvard

LSN

Texas2L

• Sr. Citizen
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: May 29, 2007, 11:56:43 PM »
I think the problem is people get way too caught up in flashy, fancy weddings, and whats "easily" spent is immaterial - you've got a guy willing to go way out on a limb to show his girl he'll do anything, and you've got a woman desperate to show how "together" her life is - bang, 30k on a wedding when they make 50k/yr together.  I've seen it.  Personally I made money on my wedding (love asians giving money rather than useless gifts) but I think we spent about 15k.  Even that was too much imo.

I think it's silly to say what is and is not too expensive. It's all relative. If you can easily spend 30k on a wedding, why not? It can be easier for one person to spend 30k on a wedding than it is for another person to spend 5k. The dollar figure is meaningless.

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: May 30, 2007, 12:25:00 AM »
I'm sure Euphrasie wasn't talking about ppl who spend more than they can afford.  But if someone is rolling in though, by all means, spend it on a blow out wedding.

I think the problem is people get way too caught up in flashy, fancy weddings, and whats "easily" spent is immaterial - you've got a guy willing to go way out on a limb to show his girl he'll do anything, and you've got a woman desperate to show how "together" her life is - bang, 30k on a wedding when they make 50k/yr together. I've seen it.  Personally I made money on my wedding (love asians giving money rather than useless gifts) but I think we spent about 15k.  Even that was too much imo.

Columbia 3L