55 (31.1%)
Girl - Big Waste of $$$
 34 (19.2%)
Guy - Symbol of your love
 41 (23.2%)
Guy - Big Waste of $$$
 47 (26.6%)

Total Members Voted: 163

Author Topic: Engagment Rings  (Read 18168 times)

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Engagment Rings
« Reply #140 on: May 17, 2007, 09:17:36 AM »
I work in a part of the city where I run into a lot of women with HUGE rings. And I think the vast majority are pretty ugly.

A huge cluster of rocks does not look good.

InUtahForNow

• ??? '10
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #141 on: May 17, 2007, 09:29:46 AM »
I don't have time to read all the posts right now, but I've worked selling diamonds for about a year now and I have a few opinions on the general buying process.

First, buy from a nationwide company with a FREE diamond warranty. I work at Jared: The Galleria of Jewelery (yes that's how we have to say it) and their prices are very fair and the warranty is great. If the diamond chips cracks or falls out we replace it for free, and that has no strings attached. We do ask to inspect the ring twice a year, but that isn't too much of an inconvenience for most people.

Second, buy what you can afford. Don't go into a huge amount of debt for a ring. Finance it through the store if possible (we have in house financing), but also check your bank/credit union for a signature loan.

Third, the 4 C's definitely are important, but don't get caught up in them. The fact is grading of a diamond is incredibly subjective and the different companies which grade the diamonds will grade most diamonds differently. IGI, AGS, and GIA are probably the 3 companies to trust while AGL, EGL, etc. aren't the greatest. I bought based on color for the sole reason that anyone can see a yellow diamond, but not everyone can see an inclusion in an I1 diamond. I'm assuming this has been explained, but if it isn't and you wanna know about it PM me. Also, look for ideal cuts certified by AGS and GIA. They will cost you more, but the brilliance is well worth it.

Finally, go into a store your comfortable with. For me Jared is great because it is very roomy, it has a ton of settings and loose stones, and everything is priced as marked. There is no negotiating price and, at least in Utah, the prices are lower than stores with similar warranties in the area.

There's my .02 and a slightly shameless plug for my employer.
Jeff
p.s. If your in the Salt Lake area and looking at getting married come see me  ;)
Attending:
Accepted: Chreighton, Willamette ($15,000), Gonzaga, Marquette, Penn State ($10,000), and Denver 
Denied: Ohio State
Waitlist: NONE!
Nothing yet: Florida State

160/2.78

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 17, 2007, 10:35:47 AM »
tag

No comments?

I can't lie...I want a nice ring...maybe 1 carat, a solitary stone--emerald cut w/wo side stones like so:
http://www.tiffany.com/expertise/diamond/rings/engagement_fancy_ring.aspx?ring=emdsides&

http://www.tiffany.com/expertise/diamond/rings/engagement_fancy_ring.aspx?ring=emd&

.  i'll mention that...but it's up to the dude where they get it from.  if they are factory made and are very good quality i'd be for it.

Columbia 3L

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 17, 2007, 10:44:55 AM »
hmmmm, seems like (some of) you wenches are making at least half the guys waste their $$$
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

h2xblive

« Reply #144 on: May 17, 2007, 10:50:33 AM »
Not everyone has to like diamonds, but I don't think "they're a waste of money" is a fair reason.

Chibundu

• Sr. Citizen
  • PrimeTime!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Bunz
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #145 on: May 17, 2007, 10:51:40 AM »
tag
Bunz

SMU!!!!!

But still waiting to be called upon to be a Cougar-- UHLC

Law School 2007 Either Way!!!!

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 17, 2007, 10:51:47 AM »
hmmmm, seems like (some of) you wenches are making at least half the guys waste their $$$

they don't have to pay that much--i just used those links to show a pic of what i'm talking about.  tiffanys is just a name--you could prolly get the same diamond someplace else way cheaper.  hell, my mom got me diamond earrings for my 21st bday--paid about $1200 cash.  Got them aprasied--they are worth almost 3gs.
Columbia 3L

sck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 17, 2007, 10:52:13 AM »
Heh.

I can say it, I didn't want a huge huge rock. Seriously, I didn't want more than a carat -- they intimidate me. My mom has some huge stones, and I'd be afraid to wear them! (OK, if she gave me the 2 carat hunk of ice she has, I'd wear it, but I would never want to pay for one.) I got so annoyed with jewelers telling me I could trade up later. No, I wanted the ring I wanted now, not later.

And let's add to that the fact that I'm not a diamond girl, at all. I like the sparkle, but when it comes right down to it, I'd rather have color. So my engagement ring is a sapphire.

There is no rule that an engagement ring needs to be a diamond. The diamond industry has brainwashed us into that. And now a lot of people expect it.

Our wedding bands are from Jared, and they treated us well. They were the only place we found a band that a) coordinated well with my ring, stylewise, and b) had actual pretty sapphires that matched the blue of mine.  I can't tell you how hard it was to find good-looking sapphires! Most of them were ugly. And when my husband developed a terrible allergic reaction to his wedding band, they let us exchange even though we were well out of the return period.
LSN
Nontrad, with a crazy split

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 17, 2007, 10:57:32 AM »
I work in a part of the city where I run into a lot of women with HUGE rings. And I think the vast majority are pretty ugly.

A huge cluster of rocks does not look good.

This is true. Huge bling bling doesn't look cool unless you're a rapper rolling up in a Hummer really.

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 17, 2007, 10:58:23 AM »

So a guy should essentially limit his spending on his lady to food, clothes and shelter? Because everything else can be considered a waste?