55 (31.1%)
Girl - Big Waste of $$$
 34 (19.2%)
Guy - Symbol of your love
 41 (23.2%)
Guy - Big Waste of $$$
 47 (26.6%)

Total Members Voted: 163

Author Topic: Engagment Rings  (Read 17975 times)

smujd2007

• Sr. Citizen
  • January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
Re: Engagment Rings
« Reply #130 on: May 16, 2007, 06:42:09 PM »
If you get a certified diamond from anywhere, you can have it insured if something happens to it.

Again, its about clarity and color.  At the end of the day no one is going to care all that much about whether the diamond came from tiffany's or zales, if it is colorless.

all i want(for my first ring) is a .49 carat tiffany's setting perfect diamond when i get engaged. Tiffany provides a payment plan AND you can trade in the diamonds for upgrades. I have a .24 carat necklace and earring set that i'm upgrading next week. same price as these ones, easily twice the size.

My boyfriend is well informed of what I want. We easily have a 10 year outline of a plan. I doubt he's suprised that I've thought about my ring... considering I've tried them on with him and currently have a tiffany's promise ring.

Yes I buy into branding. But I'd rather have the best diamond that I know they will take care of than buy on from Zales for less and be upset if it falls out of the setting. Tiffany replaced the emerald in my current ring for free... even though it was my fault it fell out. Might have something do to with my mother talking to her buyer about it though. yes she has a buyer... its slightly embarassing though useful since we get deals.
smujd2007 is now an Attorney at Law!

smujd2007

• Sr. Citizen
  • January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 16, 2007, 06:44:51 PM »
I see a man that is proud of being married every day.

Because you don't exactly see men being proud of being married. They are proud of their investment portfolio, their golf score (or whatever it's called in golf), their promotion at work, etc. When you ask them about marriage, they refer to it as the "old ball and chain" and let's not forget the whole "trading in for the newer model" thing. Most men treat marriage as equivalent to walking the green mile when they actually have a ton more perks out of it than women. Just my 0.02.

...wow, I'm sorry.  Clearly you're very narrow minded and/or have had terrible experiences with men.  You could grossly stereotype either gender, especially in regards to marriage, but in my experience this characterization of men is totally untrue.  If anything, men often get *more* attached to their wives; in our society it's easier and more socially accepted for women to have a wide range of social contacts whereas married men often have a smaller social circle of wife, colleagues, and a few old friends.  All of the married men I know love their wives and are happier about their marriages(/children) than their golf scores.  Seriously.

Anyway, I do want an engagement ring.  I'm not huge on marriage because I'm not religious, but committment is good (and I will get married for legal reasons, especially if I plan to have kids).  My boyfriend knows well enough to go to an antique dealer, though, and spend less than a grand.  I wouldn't wear anything more expensive than that, and I don't really care for the way diamonds are mined or marketed, so I'd much rather have a sapphire that's been out of the ground for fifty years or more.  It's not the monetary value that's important, but the gesture, both in picking it out and the societal standard of what it means.
smujd2007 is now an Attorney at Law!

h2xblive

« Reply #132 on: May 16, 2007, 10:49:51 PM »
People like pretty things such as sparkling diamonds, bigger houses, nice cars and expensive clothes. It's normal, and nothing to be ashamed of. It doesn't make you a bad person.

I think I'm just trying to justify spending most of my money not on the engagement ring, but the bands which I would have a part of as well, haha.

By all means, I agree that the price or the carat of the stone shouldn't be the important thing. I like to believe that to most people, it isn't.

exactly.

and glass looks just as good....

Shows what you know...

TraciRai

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 17, 2007, 07:59:58 AM »
but everyone loves glass!  ;D

http://www.xkcd.com/c260.html

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 17, 2007, 08:04:23 AM »
1.  An engagement ring is a gift to/from a loved one, and I don't think there's ever anything wrong with that!
2.  As a woman who is typically happy with nice-looking fake jewelry, it is extra special to have something "real" for my engagement ring and wedding band.
3.  This varies, obviously, but often it is the man rather than the woman who is into the size (surprise, surprise) of the diamond.  Men do often see this as something to symbolize their success to their friends and acquaintances, while many women just want a pretty piece with a sentimental/symbolic meaning.
Michigan Law Class of 2010

Nickledime85

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 17, 2007, 08:53:55 AM »
I think they are symbols of love, for the most part, but some girls are ridiculous with their expectations. A friend of mine said that unless her boyfriend gives her a certifiable rock, he's out of the picture... *rolls eyes*.
University of Pittsburgh, Class of 2010 :-)

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 17, 2007, 08:57:07 AM »
tag
Columbia 3L

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 17, 2007, 08:59:42 AM »
I think they are symbols of love, for the most part, but some girls are ridiculous with their expectations. A friend of mine said that unless her boyfriend gives her a certifiable rock, he's out of the picture... *rolls eyes*.

shes a keeper...

::)
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 17, 2007, 09:00:06 AM »
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

ljg

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 17, 2007, 09:10:22 AM »
1.  An engagement ring is a gift to/from a loved one, and I don't think there's ever anything wrong with that!
2.  As a woman who is typically happy with nice-looking fake jewelry, it is extra special to have something "real" for my engagement ring and wedding band.
3.  This varies, obviously, but often it is the man rather than the woman who is into the size (surprise, surprise) of the diamond.  Men do often see this as something to symbolize their success to their friends and acquaintances, while many women just want a pretty piece with a sentimental/symbolic meaning.

Credited. When I was a little girl, I would go to the mall with my Mom and when we passed by a jewelry store window we would play "pick your future engagement ring", hahaha. Because of that, it has become a habit for me to stop and look at rings whenever I pass by a display window. When my boyfriend is with me he'll play along, and he usually picks out a bigger diamond for me than what I pick out for myself!