55 (31.1%)
Girl - Big Waste of $$$
 34 (19.2%)
Guy - Symbol of your love
 41 (23.2%)
Guy - Big Waste of $$$
 47 (26.6%)

Total Members Voted: 163

Author Topic: Engagment Rings  (Read 17901 times)

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
Re: Engagment Rings
« Reply #110 on: May 16, 2007, 12:09:40 PM »
People like pretty things such as sparkling diamonds, bigger houses, nice cars and expensive clothes. It's normal, and nothing to be ashamed of. It doesn't make you a bad person.

Le Docteur De Peste

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ashes, ashes, we all fall down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 16, 2007, 12:10:35 PM »
People like pretty things such as sparkling diamonds, bigger houses, nice cars and expensive clothes. It's normal, and nothing to be ashamed of. It doesn't make you a bad person.

I think I'm just trying to justify spending most of my money not on the engagement ring, but the bands which I would have a part of as well, haha.

michelle d

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 16, 2007, 12:19:55 PM »
Because you don't exactly see men being proud of being married. They are proud of their investment portfolio, their golf score (or whatever it's called in golf), their promotion at work, etc. When you ask them about marriage, they refer to it as the "old ball and chain" and let's not forget the whole "trading in for the newer model" thing. Most men treat marriage as equivalent to walking the green mile when they actually have a ton more perks out of it than women. Just my 0.02.

...wow, I'm sorry.  Clearly you're very narrow minded and/or have had terrible experiences with men.  You could grossly stereotype either gender, especially in regards to marriage, but in my experience this characterization of men is totally untrue.  If anything, men often get *more* attached to their wives; in our society it's easier and more socially accepted for women to have a wide range of social contacts whereas married men often have a smaller social circle of wife, colleagues, and a few old friends.  All of the married men I know love their wives and are happier about their marriages(/children) than their golf scores.  Seriously.

Anyway, I do want an engagement ring.  I'm not huge on marriage because I'm not religious, but committment is good (and I will get married for legal reasons, especially if I plan to have kids).  My boyfriend knows well enough to go to an antique dealer, though, and spend less than a grand.  I wouldn't wear anything more expensive than that, and I don't really care for the way diamonds are mined or marketed, so I'd much rather have a sapphire that's been out of the ground for fifty years or more.  It's not the monetary value that's important, but the gesture, both in picking it out and the societal standard of what it means.
U of Chicago 2010.

sck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 16, 2007, 12:34:05 PM »
OK, I haven't read the whole thread.

But y'know, as someone who recently got married...

I love my engagement ring. My husband and I picked it out together -- he asked without a ring, because he was afraid he'd pick something I wouldn't like and we hadn't discussed jewelry. How was he supposed to know that I dislike round stones, and that I wanted sidestones? So we went and tried on rings and looked a lot and together chose the one that looked best on my hand. He wanted to buy me one.

We originally wanted sapphires in the setting. Since we couldn't find anything that looked good, I suggested we put the sapphire as the center stone. Voila! Ring that didn't break the bank, still had the size we wanted to suit my long fingers, and was different. And he chose the stone from the ones the jeweler ordered in without my input (my only input was shape and color rating.)

And yes, my ring is gorgeous and I'm totally happy with it. I get a lot of compliments.
LSN
Nontrad, with a crazy split

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 16, 2007, 12:45:53 PM »

I think I'm just trying to justify spending most of my money not on the engagement ring, but the bands which I would have a part of as well, haha.

By all means, I agree that the price or the carat of the stone shouldn't be the important thing. I like to believe that to most people, it isn't.

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 16, 2007, 01:51:36 PM »

By all means, I agree that the price or the carat of the stone shouldn't be the important thing. I like to believe that to most people, it isn't.

exactly.

and glass looks just as good....
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 16, 2007, 02:02:10 PM »
I want a lab diamond.  A perfect diamond without sociopolitical issues or Debeer's monopoly.  Can't go wrong!  :P
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

Le Docteur De Peste

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 16, 2007, 02:02:55 PM »
I want a lab diamond.  A perfect diamond without sociopolitical issues or Debeer's monopoly.  Can't go wrong!  :P

I want the biggest f-ing blood diamond I can afford. And a dominoes set made out of ivory. But only ivory from baby tusks.

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 16, 2007, 02:04:28 PM »

I want the biggest f-ing blood diamond I can afford. And a dominoes set made out of ivory. But only ivory from baby tusks.

You really shouldn't post stuff that makes me laugh out loud at work.  :D
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

Le Docteur De Peste

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 16, 2007, 02:06:41 PM »

You really shouldn't post stuff that makes me laugh out loud at work.  :D

::debates  ;) vs.  ;D vs.  8)::