Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: pray for barbaro or wish him well (for the non-believers).  (Read 1171 times)

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
  • University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
i just saw the barbaro break.  i almost cried.  he was just kicking that hind leg as if...  oh man.   :'( 

send some well wishes his way, thanx.
losin' sleep, gainin' knowledge.

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: pray for barbaro or wish him well (for the non-believers).
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 06:50:19 PM »
The horse who won the Kentucky Derby two weeks ago - he broke his leg in the Preakness yesterday.

It was absolutely painful to watch.  This won't make you feel better, but they usually put horses like that down.  There's a chance they might keep him pastured to see how he sires, but they don't usually do that.  Flat racing is an ugly business.
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

veg

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006, 06:52:14 PM »
I heard about that horse on NPR. :'( So sad.

Pirate Pete

• LSD Obsessed
  • member Em.eritus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 01:37:04 AM »
The horse who won the Kentucky Derby two weeks ago - he broke his leg in the Preakness yesterday.

It was absolutely painful to watch.  This won't make you feel better, but they usually put horses like that down.  There's a chance they might keep him pastured to see how he sires, but they don't usually do that.  Flat racing is an ugly business.

Barbaro is a Derby Winner, and hence is worth a lot of $$$ as a stud, so they will actually pay to try and save him.  Sad, but true, it is an ugly business.

The g.c. is very, very into horse racing.  He almost cried, too, and not because of money.  It's a cruel business, though, so I stopped participating in it.
fair like the sun that shines in my soul when you're near, emily
Wow, Em is genius!

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
  • University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 05:01:46 AM »
sex is going to be tough if his ankle won't allow him to mount.  plus, there could be some psychological problems for the horse that could cause him to stop eating.  an unhealthy, malnurished horse won't fetch a high stud fee. 
losin' sleep, gainin' knowledge.

Slow Blues

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 09:47:44 AM »
Eh, plenty of people die every day because they don't have access to health care. I can't get worked up about a horse.

gillesthegreat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 11:20:27 AM »
pray for barbaro

Pray? really? Aside from belief, I suggest you look at the data for the usefulness of intercessory prayer for health recovery.
Penn (2007)

maka nani

• LSD Obsessed
    • AOL Instant Messenger - redsox1079
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2006, 11:58:14 AM »
"Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro is making progress from surgery on his broken leg, even showing an interest in mares, but the colt still faces a long and perilous road to recovery, his surgeon said Monday." lol cute....i'm still praying for him.

I love horse racing.  my favorite horse when i was a kid was put down for a similar injury.  it is so sad.

There is a new substance thagt will be used this year i believe at keenland (polytrack) which is suppose to greatly reduce the risk of injury.  i hope it works and all tracks adopt it. 
DON'T GO TO LAW SCHOOL YOU DUMB FUCKS.

maka nani

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2006, 12:45:18 PM »
no not lasik,..it is a new track surface that is supposed to be much safer for the horse and reduce breakdown chances. 

http://sports.yahoo.com/rah/news?slug=ap-keeneland-track&prov=ap&type=lgns

http://www.polytrack.com/index.html

maka nani

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2006, 12:56:05 PM »
yea....it is a new substance to use on the track...instead of regular dirt tracks.  i hope tracks use it in the near future.