Law School Discussion

Emory vs. Notre Dame

Emory vs. Notre Dame
« on: May 21, 2006, 10:50:19 AM »
Edited post bc Emory just offered me $60k!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all the help; I was ready to choose Notre Dame, but I guess the third time really was a charm!!!

Re: Emory vs. Notre Dame
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 11:50:19 AM »
Another thing to consider is do you want to work in the South or in the Midwest/East/West?

NYC, DC, the west coast, or somewhere in the south.

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006, 09:11:49 PM »
I too debated between ND and Emory - except my situation was reversed!  Before the April 15th deposit deadline, I chose Notre Dame and did not deposit at Emory. A week later, Emory offered me money because they remembered I had asked for money and didn't get it earlier.

I don't know if this would happen to you if you withdrew from Emory, but it's possible. Of course, you would have to be willing to give up Emory completely if you withdrew and they didn't come back with an offer.   :-\

On another note, Emory's tution and COL are both higher, so that makes the $15K from Notre Dame really about a $20K per year difference.

Good luck with your decision. Its a difficult one!

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2006, 09:27:26 PM »
0 money from Emory (just emailed them for the third time asking for money)

15k/year from Notre Dame

I literally get depressed, moody, uncomfortable, and bedridden when the temperature drops below 40, so the prospect of moving to South Bend, Indiana is not so good for me. But 45k is a LOT of money, and it would be more when the COL is factored in.

Also, I'm not Catholic. Or conservative. And I love Atlanta. But the MONEY! I've already got about ~60k undergrad debt (it's amazing how quickly it adds up).

I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO.

first off, I would give anything to be in your shoes--congrats on ND. you're very lucky.

it's a great school and the money is really nice. if it were me i'd be there in a heartbeat--HOWEVER

1. how uncomfortable does Catholicism make you, if at all? from what i understand it doesn't really shape the curriculum at ND but will be discussed openly and freely if it comes up in the classroom.

2. is the weather THAT much of an issue for you? Indiana has about three or four months of bearable weather--the rest is cold, gray, ugly and disgusting. if you're not used to the midwest it will be an adjustment, but not one that you absolutely can't make.

i'm guessing emory won't offer any money if you've already asked three times. did they give a reason? do they need to wait for more seat deposits to come in??

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 07:11:23 AM »
 :D i love how emory throws money around

SplitFinger

• I'm a real pretend lawyer now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 09:15:09 PM »
I sure wish they'd throw some my way.  :(

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 01:56:49 AM »
well i asked three times. can't hurt to email.

SplitFinger

• I'm a real pretend lawyer now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2006, 05:53:28 AM »
Yeah, I did last night.  I called and begged with no luck a few weeks ago, but I'll keep bugging them.