Law School Discussion

My 146 & My Dilemma

Re: My 146 & My Dilemma
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2006, 01:36:59 PM »
Florida Coastal, Cooley, or MBA program. If youre sure you can get at least about a 158, i'd retake it then. you'd be pretty money then

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2006, 11:17:39 PM »
You might consider Northwestern's JD/MBA program.  When applying to the joint degree program, a LSAT score is not required.  Instead, you'll need to submit a GMAT score but, trust me (I'm a LSAT and GMAT prep instructor), the GMAT is far easier than the LSAT.

I would try to find other law schools that offer this joint-degree because I don't see Northwestern accepting someone with a 146

CuteCUTigerr

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2006, 08:00:47 AM »
I wasn't thrilled with my LSAT score, either, but I decided to go through the admissions process this time around, anyway.

First of all, I wouldn't sell myself short and just get an MBA.  From the beginning of your post, I understood that you wanted to be a lawyer.  So if you don't do that, you'll always wonder what would've happened if you had gone on to law school.  And you already have an acceptance letter which just shows you have what it takes! 

Now, if you're not happy with how you did on the LSAT and might consider retaking it, I'll share what I thought about last year.  One option I considered was completing an MBA in a one year program.  If you do well on the GMAT, all the schools I know of offer assistanceships meaning you could get the degree for next to nothing.  This would give you a chance to improve your LSAT score and also improve your application.  Even if the schools you'd consider only have two year programs, it still would give you options you hadn't had before. 

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2006, 03:59:31 PM »
what? how did you get in with a 146?? i thought touro had a minimum of 150 this year? may i ask what your GPA is?

anyway, to answer your question. you should go to touro if you really studied for the LSAT. if you think you can do better... retake and reapply.

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2006, 08:03:56 PM »
what? how did you get in with a 146?? i thought touro had a minimum of 150 this year? may i ask what your GPA is?

anyway, to answer your question. you should go to touro if you really studied for the LSAT. if you think you can do better... retake and reapply.

3.89 GPA

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2006, 08:07:15 PM »
Thanks for your replies everyone. I think i will be brave enough to retake the LSAT. However i will also work on the GMAT just in case things dont turn out the way i expect.

Mr. Pink

• @#!* YOU! @#!* YOU! I'M f-in' DYING HERE! I'M FU
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2006, 05:29:10 AM »
Good Luck.

aquafinaisbetter

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2006, 11:46:12 AM »
mba=becoming a robot

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2006, 10:23:51 PM »
How is it that nobody has advised that the law might not be the right field for the OP and that he might want to consider dropping ther whole law school thing?

More surprisingly, how is it that nobody realized that someone who scored 146 on the LSAT has zero chance of doing well enough on the GMAT to get into Kellogg?

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2006, 08:28:27 AM »
How is it that nobody has advised that the law might not be the right field for the OP and that he might want to consider dropping ther whole law school thing?

More surprisingly, how is it that nobody realized that someone who scored 146 on the LSAT has zero chance of doing well enough on the GMAT to get into Kellogg?

This is exactly right.  The joint JD/MBA program at Kellog is one of the hardest programs of any kind in the country to get into.  The GMAT MAY be slightly easier than the LSAT to people who are math inclined, but is by no means an easy test.  Because schools put so much emphasis on these standardize test scores, I think it's very unlikely that the op will be going to a top business or law school.  That doesn't mean he/she won't be successful in his career.  I think the fact that you have always wanted to be an attorney puts you at a huge advantage.  From someone who is on the verge of investing 3 years and close to 200 g's because I've got no idea what I want to do, I can say I'm envious. If you know you want to practice law, go to Touro law school, work hard, don't look back.  If this is really what you want to do, it shouldn't even be a question.