Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transferring from University of Detroit-Mercy or Vermont Law?  (Read 1341 times)

Toogie

• View Profile
    • Email
With UDM I'm already accepted to their dual JD/LLB program with the University of Windsor (3 yr program and I'll be a part of a select group of 50)and with Vermont Law I plan on completing their JD/DESS-DJCE with Cergy-Pontoise (4 yr program). Plus Vermont is known for their excellent environmental and international law program.

My question is that my first priority will be to transfer but ultimately if I can't or decide against it, which would school would you recommend going to. Also which school would be "better" to transfer from in terms of being accepted into a tier 1?

Troy

• View Profile
Re: Transferring from University of Detroit-Mercy or Vermont Law?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 04:46:13 AM »
Toogie,

I'll be attending the JD/LLB program in the fall.  I've considered going to school for a year and transfering.  One issue with the JD/LLB program is that many of the first year courses are taken at U-Windsor.  Those credits may be difficult to transfer to another school in the states.

What I find most appealing about UDM's joint degree program is their graduates seem to have a lot of flexibility with where they work.  U-Windsor has a high placement rate in Toronto, and last years' grads ended up everywhere from Washington (state) to New York.  Most lower tiered schools (including UDM's traditional JD) are very regional.  A financial incentive I stumbled upon is that U-Windsor offers all US citizens in the JD/LLB program a 6,000 scholarship - which I'm assuming you'll qualify for.  Last year's JD/LLB tuition was also considerably less than UDM's traditional JD program because U-Windsor costs less.  In all, 22,500 v. 25,500.  With the reduced tuition and the scholarship, the JD/LLB program is going to be cheaper than just about anywhere.  Comparing UDM with Vermont is difficult.  If you're really, really interested in environmental law, go to Vermont.  They have a good reputation in that field of law.  If you're interested in business or international trade, I'd probably say UDM.

Good luck choosing!  If you want me to forward my emails from the Windsor financial aid office I'd be happy to.
Going to Detroit Mercy (JD/LLB)
Waitlisted at U-Oregon (1st choice)

Toogie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 04:03:13 PM »
Hey man!

Yes please do, I'm very interested! So you're saying the joint cost of both tuitions is 22500?

My email is (edit

Please post here when you forward them.

Troy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 04:41:31 PM »
Last year's tuition was around 22,500.  They haven't set tuition for the incoming class yet.  The tuition breakdown was 8,500 CDN for U-Windsor and 14,800 USD for UDM.  I've emailed you the scholarship info.  You've probably been to this site but check out http://www.jdllbprogram.com/.  It has tuition info, a summary of the program, and a listing of required courses.  Also know that summer school is required for all one Ls at the end of their first year.

Toogie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 05:10:09 PM »
How likely is the chance you'll jump to U of Oregon? We should def talk and coordinate our schedules and stuff? Do you plan on living in Windsor? I picked up the 2006 edition of the USNews report and I was pleased to see Detroit's starting salary went up by a lot. I think the school is on the rise with the new Dean and the facilities they plan on building.

Troy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 05:47:59 PM »
I don't think I'll get into Oregon.  They have a small class size and there won't be many students withdrawing.  I have been successful at getting off waitlists at lower tiered schools but Oregon would be much tougher. 

This fall, I'll be living in Windsor.  I've heard that it's considerably nicer than Detroit (that's according to a bartender at the Racoon Lodge in Portland, OR - he overheard my table's conversation last weekend and jumped in  :) ).  We can exchange phone numbers on email and talk later.  How serious are you about Vermont or environmental law?

Toogie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 06:19:23 PM »
Ya I might stay at one of their student halls over there. I heard Alumni Hall is pretty decent.

The only reason I'm interested in Vermont is their JD/DESS-DJCE program which basically gives you the J.D and an advanced French law degree. I've always dreamed of working in a law firm in Paris, but I don't know how difficult that will be. Most of the lawyers at Paris offices, even the American firms that have an office in Paris, are native French. Of course it's a 4 year program unlike Detroit's. Plus I don't know the reputation of Cergy-Pontoise in comparison to Windsor (which does have a decent rep for producing grads that go to Bay Street BigLaw).