Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: pre-law EC  (Read 633 times)

aptiva

• View Profile
pre-law EC
« on: May 19, 2006, 12:11:27 AM »
what kind of clubs/organizations/EC's are pre-law students involved in specifically?

I am definitely looking to get more involved on campus / the community, but i dont know what organizations/clubs to join and which would specifically build and continue my interest in law and help my law school application in the future

...any suggestions?

costaragas

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: pre-law EC
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 09:23:33 PM »
There isn't anything specific really. Your community involvement, and participation in school are important, but that doesn't mean you need to devote every last free moment to buffering your resume.

I personally didn't really do anything law school related. In fact, I didn't realize I wanted to go to law school until about August of 2005. I played sports (rugby and martial arts) at university, and studied abroad on an experiential learning programme. That was enough in my case.

But really, it all depends on your interests. If you really like playing ping-pong, do that. What matters is how you showcase your participation and involvement in your personal statement when you actually apply to law schoo. In other words, describe how committed you are to your interest, and why. Discuss the time involved and how it (of course) taught you time management skills, team work (ping-pong in teams?), a sense of fair play and competitiveness, etc... etc...

Every law school admissions officer you talk to and ask about this will tell you the same thing. It doesn't matter what you did, or how you were involved. What matters is "why" and "what you were able to take/learn from it." And the only place they'll even want to hear about this kind of thing is on the personal statement.

At the risk of sounding redundant:
 - Pursue your own interests
 - Avoid trying to tailor your extra-curriculars to what you think a law school might want; they don't want anything
   in particular

Good luck!

Costa Ragas
Canadian Law School Admissions Web
http://www.clsaweb.com