Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: stupid for heading to a low ranked school?  (Read 5519 times)

mirror

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: stupid for heading to a low ranked school?
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2006, 07:43:11 PM »

At many low-ranked law schools, the average starting salary is much less than 60-80k, we're talking about 100k+ in debt, and a small but significant number of graduates are unable to find legal employment.

Having mastered logic enough to score in the 90th percentile on the LSAT, I would assume that many of the people I am referring to in this thread can recognize the difference between "many" and "all".  Just because "many" of the lower-ranked schools have average starting salaries less than 60-80k, it does not mean that "all" do.  It is does not prove that "all" students coming from those schools with low average starting salaries will earn nothing higher.

I'm also a bit confused over the "100k in debt" that gets tossed around here so much.  I've read countless threads from t14-bound student claiming that they want to go into public-interest law.  I rarely see the same criticism of them.  If I go to a t3 schools and rack up 100k in debt (which I won't, by the way) in order to make $50k, it's a stupid decision.  If someone goes to Yale, racks up 100k in debt, and goes into a public-interest sector law and makes $50k, it's "noble".  :confused"  

its called LRAP.  look it up.

militarygrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2006, 07:45:51 PM »

I dunno, your rant there seemed to exhibit some sexism and had a unnecessay homosexul jab there that you were very deliberate in typing out.  Seems like youve got a number of things on your mind that you are trying to get off your chest.

Haha! :D  Sexism AND homosexual angst in one breath!  Cudos!

krumanadi

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2006, 07:48:13 PM »

I dunno, your rant there seemed to exhibit some sexism and had a unnecessay homosexul jab there that you were very deliberate in typing out.  Seems like youve got a number of things on your mind that you are trying to get off your chest.

It's "Kudos"

militarygrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2006, 07:50:11 PM »
I especially love the part about how 22-yr-old college kids with high LSAT scores aren't qualified to discuss this, because apparently firsthand experience is more trustworthy than objective statistical data.

Post a link to a website that has objective statistical data on the long-term relvency of a T1 education over a t3/t4 education.  I'm not looking for data that shows that first-year associates from Harvard make more than first-year associates from Widener.  What I'm looking for is data that proves that a majority of t3/t4 grads suffer greatly in their lifetimes as a result of their law school's rankings.

If you can do that, then I will consider listening to 22-year-old college students over 22-year-veterans of the legal community.

http://powerscore.com/lsat/help/salary.htm

Holy crap!  A company selling tips on how to succeed on the LSAT explaining the wide salary gap between low-LSAT takers and high-LSAT takers?!?!  WHOWOULDATHUNKIT!!!!

However, that only gives starting salaries.  Try again.

militarygrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2006, 07:51:55 PM »

Well I mean you wrote this right:

Because I do not log onto this site with a gaping mouth eagerly awaiting your c0ck, you assume that I am not proud of your achievement, or that I am not jealous or in awe.

Wow.  I never realized I was a gay woman-hater.  Thanks, doc.  The check's in the mail.

mirror

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2006, 07:53:27 PM »
I especially love the part about how 22-yr-old college kids with high LSAT scores aren't qualified to discuss this, because apparently firsthand experience is more trustworthy than objective statistical data.

Post a link to a website that has objective statistical data on the long-term relvency of a T1 education over a t3/t4 education.  I'm not looking for data that shows that first-year associates from Harvard make more than first-year associates from Widener.  What I'm looking for is data that proves that a majority of t3/t4 grads suffer greatly in their lifetimes as a result of their law school's rankings.

If you can do that, then I will consider listening to 22-year-old college students over 22-year-veterans of the legal community.

Holy crap!  A company selling tips on how to succeed on the LSAT explaining the wide salary gap between low-LSAT takers and high-LSAT takers?!?!  WHOWOULDATHUNKIT!!!!

why dont you give us some more insight on how going to Yale -> public interest is the same as going to a ttt -> only job you can find

Happy_Weasel

• LSD Obsessed
  • Me and Gir, the happy weasel.
    • MSN Messenger - ominusdemon2@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2006, 07:53:32 PM »
I dunno, with the average salary coming out of my school at $60000 and a tutition of under 8000 A YEAR, I am going to take my chances, even if it is Wyoming. My goal is to have a 60 or 70 year job in Denver and I plan on making 100 within 5 years.... ambitious? Yes. Too ambitious? I think Im gonna take my chances.

AtlantaSteve

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SPerkinsManheim
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2006, 07:53:47 PM »
But clearly you want the "prestigious" people to notice you and your opinions.  You're like the abused child who acts up purposefully to get negative attention becuase its the only kind he knows how to get.

This is, hands down, the most moronic post I have seen in two years on LSD.  You should be absolutely ashamed of yourself.

***EDIT*** My bad, I wrote the above BEFORE seeing the post where you extrapolated sexism and repressed homosexuality from his post.  On review, I now say that the text quoted above is the second-most moronic thing I have seen in two years on LSD.

militarygrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2006, 07:56:02 PM »

Well I mean you wrote this right:

Because I do not log onto this site with a gaping mouth eagerly awaiting your c0ck, you assume that I am not proud of your achievement, or that I am not jealous or in awe.

Wow.  I never realized I was a gay woman-hater.  Thanks, doc.  The check's in the mail.

You are clearly in need, my friend. If i clipped off a little bit of my prestige, and gave it to you, would that help?

It will definately help stem the tide of proletariat tears gushing from my jaundiced eyes.

bobwil50

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2006, 07:57:58 PM »

You really think starting salaries can't give a good indication of lifetime earning potential?
LSAT: 168
GPA: 3.8