Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: stupid for heading to a low ranked school?  (Read 5575 times)

eatdrinkbemerry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
stupid for heading to a low ranked school?
« on: May 18, 2006, 05:33:33 PM »
I have a hard time turning down a full ride at suffolk in a city that i love. I am also a rankings slut and would love to attend a higher ranked school, but would rather not pay 150,000. IS it ok if i punish my ego for a bit, go to a lower ranked school and have little to no debt post j.d? On the other hand should I sack up and undertake a financial burden in order to appease the prestige whore in me?

George JeffersonČ

• Sr. Citizen
  • Suck on my salty chocolate balls!
    • View Profile
Re: stupid for heading to a low ranked school?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 05:47:44 PM »
I have a hard time turning down a full ride at suffolk in a city that i love. I am also a rankings slut and would love to attend a higher ranked school, but would rather not pay 150,000. IS it ok if i punish my ego for a bit, go to a lower ranked school and have little to no debt post j.d? On the other hand should I sack up and undertake a financial burden in order to appease the prestige whore in me?

Go to Georgetown. This isn't even based on prestige, it's based on the SRSLY huge difference in employment potential.
Put 'em in yo mouth!

Reaching

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 05:50:17 PM »
I second that. You'll always look back and think about what if you went to Georgetown.

J D

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 05:57:07 PM »
If you are sure that you want to stay in Boston after graduation, then Suffolk would be fine.  If you do very well there, then you will likely have great opportunities available to you.  Suffolk grads do well in Boston and in Mass. generally; they have a pretty big alumni network, and it's pretty good about taking care of its own.  The prospect of graduating debt free from Suffolk might also make it easier for you to do stuff after graduation that someone with a large debt load wouldn't have the flexibility to do, like public interest work at some LSC. 

Georgetown's prestige would probably give you moremargin for error, more of a chance to get those big firm jobs after graduation even if you're only middle of the pack.  If you're aiming for Boston as your post-grad market, however, be aware that Boston employers tend to prefer people who have connections to the city and who are likely to stay there for a while.  So, expect potential employers to ask the "why Boston?" question if you go to Georgetown.  It can be easily answered by maintaining your contacts to the city though: get your summer jobs in Boston, and it will become obvious to the employer that this is where you plan on working post-grad.
"I never think of the future.  It comes soon enough."--Albert Einstein

revelareveritas

• Sr. Citizen
  • Something strange is afoot at the Circle K...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 06:00:07 PM »
No, you're not stupid... What most people won't tell you is that any ABA accredited school, whether it's Harvard or Florida Coastal, enables its graduates to practice anywhere in the country, provided they pass the respective bar exam. While everyone is hung up on "employment potential", they ignore the fact that having a law degree is much like having a college diploma: you get out of it what you put in. Yes, some schools have a better alumni network, but you don't NEED connections to start out well. I know several DOZEN lawyers who all started at non-ABA's in California, transferred to a T4 ABA, graduated, and started their own practices. Several attained 7-figures within 5 years of graduating, simply because they essentially started their own businesses and made their own contacts. The way I look at it, is that if I wanted to work for someone else all my life, I wouldn't have pursued law school. Why spend tens of thousands of $$$ and several years of your life learning how to work for someone else in a firm, killing yourself to make partner, when it may never happen?
"It's not whether Iran likes carrots," he said. "Iran likes carrots. Iran demands carrots! If there is to be a solution in Iran, carrots must be part of the solution! We don't expect others to cook carrots for us then present them and then tell us, 'Eat them or else.' We can cook our own carrots!"

mirror

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 06:08:44 PM »
No, you're not stupid... What most people won't tell you is that any ABA accredited school, whether it's Harvard or Florida Coastal, enables its graduates to practice anywhere in the country, provided they pass the respective bar exam. While everyone is hung up on "employment potential", they ignore the fact that having a law degree is much like having a college diploma: you get out of it what you put in. Yes, some schools have a better alumni network, but you don't NEED connections to start out well. I know several DOZEN lawyers who all started at non-ABA's in California, transferred to a T4 ABA, graduated, and started their own practices. Several attained 7-figures within 5 years of graduating, simply because they essentially started their own businesses and made their own contacts. The way I look at it, is that if I wanted to work for someone else all my life, I wouldn't have pursued law school. Why spend tens of thousands of $$$ and several years of your life learning how to work for someone else in a firm, killing yourself to make partner, when it may never happen?

this is tragically bad advice.  wow. 

eatdrinkbemerry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 06:09:27 PM »
thank you all for quick replies...what it all comes down to is suffolk for free, or georgetown pt, lots of debt. I am fortunate to have the two decisions, it would be much easier if I would have been admitted to GT full time.

bobwil50

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006, 06:14:03 PM »
No, you're not stupid... What most people won't tell you is that any ABA accredited school, whether it's Harvard or Florida Coastal, enables its graduates to practice anywhere in the country, provided they pass the respective bar exam.

Yeah, I hear Florida Coastal competes pretty well with Harvard too.

While everyone is hung up on "employment potential", they ignore the fact that having a law degree is much like having a college diploma: you get out of it what you put in. Yes, some schools have a better alumni network, but you don't NEED connections to start out well. I know several DOZEN lawyers who all started at non-ABA's in California, transferred to a T4 ABA, graduated, and started their own practices. Several attained 7-figures within 5 years of graduating, simply because they essentially started their own businesses and made their own contacts.

I know people that have won the lottery.  Thus, playing the lottery is a good idea.

The way I look at it, is that if I wanted to work for someone else all my life, I wouldn't have pursued law school. Why spend tens of thousands of $$$ and several years of your life learning how to work for someone else in a firm, killing yourself to make partner, when it may never happen?

If you want to work for yourself, don't go to law school period.

I can't tell if this is flame or idiocy.
LSAT: 168
GPA: 3.8

militarygrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2006, 06:40:25 PM »
No, you're not stupid... What most people won't tell you is that any ABA accredited school, whether it's Harvard or Florida Coastal, enables its graduates to practice anywhere in the country, provided they pass the respective bar exam.

Yeah, I hear Florida Coastal competes pretty well with Harvard too.

While everyone is hung up on "employment potential", they ignore the fact that having a law degree is much like having a college diploma: you get out of it what you put in. Yes, some schools have a better alumni network, but you don't NEED connections to start out well. I know several DOZEN lawyers who all started at non-ABA's in California, transferred to a T4 ABA, graduated, and started their own practices. Several attained 7-figures within 5 years of graduating, simply because they essentially started their own businesses and made their own contacts.

I know people that have won the lottery.  Thus, playing the lottery is a good idea.

The way I look at it, is that if I wanted to work for someone else all my life, I wouldn't have pursued law school. Why spend tens of thousands of $$$ and several years of your life learning how to work for someone else in a firm, killing yourself to make partner, when it may never happen?

If you want to work for yourself, don't go to law school period.

I can't tell if this is flame or idiocy.

After two years and two admission cycles on this board, I have finally figured it out.

High-scoring LSAT takers, for the most part, like to comment on the viability of a T3 or T4 law degree, stating that very little exists for those poor and stupid souls who were unfortunate enough to score under the 75th percentile.  They write fluid prose denouncing regional schools and the tiny firms that recruit from them, and announce, as though they have real world experience to back it up, that if it ain't T1, you may as well not go.

I recognized early on that listening to the advice of a 22 year-old college grad or junior was in bad form.  Not because you have no idea what you are talking about in general, but because you have no idea what you are talking about in regards to the legal community (as far as I can tell, not a single of you has served a single day as an attorney).  What I never recognized was the motivation behind this behavior.  Many of you are self-proclaimed liberals, so the "elitism" argument made little sense (except for the fact that most liberals are hypocrites).  Many of you are probably nice people in person, so the idea that perhaps you're just a toolshed was tossed aside.  I was left scratching my head.

But I finally figured it out.

You, and many people like you, scored well on the LSAT.  And you want a cookie, a slap on the back, a big warm hug of congratulations.  Because I do not log onto this site with a gaping mouth eagerly awaiting your c0ck, you assume that I am not proud of your achievement, or that I am not jealous or in awe.  So you lash out - you claim that only a select few from non-T1 schools will succeed.  You claim that if people like me are not retaking the LSAT over and over again with a 170+ in mind, we are mindless troglodytes who have been sold on a non-existent dream.

Well, here's to you, high-LSAT-taker!  Cheers!  Congrats!  Huzzah!  I open my arms, and welcome you into my loving embrace!  Congrats on your score, and congrats on your T14 acceptances!  YOU ARE BETTER THAN ME!  :)   

Disclaimer:  Before you respond angrily with an example of how you've defended t3/t4 schools, consider this:  if the shoe fits, wear it.

anrya

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2006, 06:44:26 PM »
This board does have a way of destroying my self confidence.....