Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law Prep Boot Camps  (Read 809 times)

fpotus

• View Profile
Law Prep Boot Camps
« on: May 18, 2006, 03:39:59 PM »
I have decided I am going to go to one.  I figure it can't hurt anything and maybe it can help.  A little more debt isn't going to make any difference anyway. 

So, I have narrowed it down to Law Preview, BarBri law school prep program or the Law Masters series (rec by Anna Ivey)

Any advice on which one is best, (or for some of you, the least worst). 

Is anyone else enrolling in any?

hbkromeo

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Law Prep Boot Camps
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 04:21:43 PM »
I have decided I am going to go to one.  I figure it can't hurt anything and maybe it can help.  A little more debt isn't going to make any difference anyway. 

Exactly my thoughts.  I am attending Law Preview's Chicago session in July.

J D

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 05:40:09 PM »
Agreed.  Don't waste your money; any advantage you receive will be at best ephemeral.  By the 3rd week, you're all pretty much on the same playing field in terms of whatever skills a week-long course might impart.  Not worth it.  Use the money for rent or groceries instead.
"I never think of the future.  It comes soon enough."--Albert Einstein

fpotus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 05:48:29 PM »
well--i am going to do it, the money isn't a issue, and even it it doesn't help---it gives me something to do this summer. But I understand what both of you are saying---it is good advice, but I am going to ignore it.

I just need to decide which one to do

fpotus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 07:42:08 AM »
I thought, as did the people I paid for admin counseling, having a 3.8 for the last 6 semesters meant something---it didn't

I took an LSAT prep course---score went up 12 points from my diagnostic

and I am happy with how everything turned out--not satisfied, but happy

plus--I am getting an MBA from Carnegie Mellon (joint degree)

life isn't so bad

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2006, 09:40:31 AM »
Look into the programs and find one that offers more strategies than actually legal knowledge.  Knowledgewise, what everyone said is true, you'll either be on the same footing by week 3 or 4, or you'll be at a disadvantage if you learn too strongly the oversimplied stuff they teach in these courses.  So don't expect to get a leg up knowledge wise.  But if they can give you study methods, outlining methods, exam taking tips that you can buy into, then it won't be a toal waste of money.

When people say that these courses are total wastes of money, I think it's becuase there's little correlation between going to these courses and doing well, because a given person doesn't necessarily need to go.  But exam taking is all about comfort and confidence, so if you feel like you need to do this, then you're helping yourself, at least a little bit, by indulging yourself.

moonpie

• Sr. Citizen
  • No it's not mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2006, 11:54:58 AM »
Honestly, i'm not sure a bunch of 0Ls and others who have never taken a boot camp program should be thinking the OP is an idiot because the same handful of people told all of us not to bother. I don't think it's worth it for me after reading LSC, but the anxiety-relieving aspects of it alone seem worthwhile.

I think it's a mistake to say there's so benefit if there's no sigifnicant difference between the boot camp takers and the rest of the LS population. A good portion of people going could know they are unprepared and self-select for the program. This means that these people would have done worse had they not taken the boot camp than had they not.

mjca83

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2006, 12:52:19 PM »
If this person wants to prepare more for law school -- you should absolutely go.  These types of prep course help one strategize and organize their approach to law school. 

Someone said that it would be better to spend the money on taking an LSAT prep course.  That's ridiculous.  The LSAT may generally measure some analytical thinking ability, but it is largely insignificant the difference between the 84th and 94th percentile is 4 or 5 questions. 

Law school is what really counts, not the LSAT.  Anything that can help you stay focused and make the most out of your time would be helpful.   

pipskicks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2006, 07:39:23 PM »
I can't believe people are jumping on the OP like this...

How exactly would it be COUNTER-productive?? 

So maybe he's wasting money?  At worst, he will have more self-confidence than others, whether it will last or not who knows?

I personally will buy some books and read them, I figure even if it doesn't help, most people advise buying the books eventually so it isn't that badly wasted.

hbkromeo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2006, 02:23:30 AM »
I can't believe people are jumping on the OP like this...

How exactly would it be COUNTER-productive?? 

So maybe he's wasting money?  At worst, he will have more self-confidence than others, whether it will last or not who knows?

I personally will buy some books and read them, I figure even if it doesn't help, most people advise buying the books eventually so it isn't that badly wasted.

Agreed.  I don't understand why people who have never gone to these things would badmouth it so much.