Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Rate my chances at Columbia, Chicago, and NYU Law?  (Read 2015 times)

leftyguns

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Rate my chances at Columbia, Chicago, and NYU Law?
« on: August 11, 2004, 11:06:20 AM »
Hey everybody I am a new poster to this message board and am getting ready to apply to law school this coming app cycle. I was wondering if anybody could assess my chances at the above three law schools with a 3.4 and a 178 LSAT. Thanks in advance. I greatly appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Louder Than Bombs

Re: Rate my chances at Columbia, Chicago, and NYU Law?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2004, 11:14:53 AM »
I'd say you've got a good chance. Where'd you do UG? Any WE? Some guy I work with at Kaplan got accepted this year off the CLS waitlist with a 180 and (I think) around a 3.3 from Chicago...I am not sure about his GPA, though, as I heard the story through various other co-workers...

The people on xoxo would probably know best, seeing as a greater proportion of them will actually be attending these schools...most posters here are not quite that competetive (with a few obvious exceptions, of course)...

leftyguns

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2004, 11:16:47 AM »
I went to Brooklyn College, CUNY. I have two years work experience as a paralegal.

Louder Than Bombs

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2004, 11:24:43 AM »
I went to Brooklyn College, CUNY. I have two years work experience as a paralegal.

I'd like to say you're in, but I guess it all comes down to how they feel about your file and who else applies. I mean, a 178 is f-ing high...

leftyguns

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2004, 11:27:41 AM »
Thanks for the reply. I am actually shocked that CLS would waitlist someone with a 180 and around a 3.3. I bet he had a g.p.a lower then that. If you look at Law School Numbers. Com, some people got in with g.p.a's of 3.3 with lower LSAT's like a 174. But who knows maybe your friend applied late or something

Louder Than Bombs

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2004, 11:34:33 AM »
Thanks for the reply. I am actually shocked that CLS would waitlist someone with a 180 and around a 3.3. I bet he had a g.p.a lower then that. If you look at Law School Numbers. Com, some people got in with g.p.a's of 3.3 with lower LSAT's like a 174. But who knows maybe your friend applied late or something

Like  say, I don't really know the whole story - in fact, I never really formally met the guy, I just got the story from other instructors...and I was pretty shocked as well, considering he went to Chicago for UG...

In any case, good luck...

leftyguns

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2004, 11:46:18 AM »
Thanks and good luck to you too. Are you applying this year? If so, where are you applying? BTW, since you are not so sure about the applicants grades and because you know he went to Chicago for udnergrad, I can bet my right hand he probably had a sub 3.0 g.p.a. But that just goes to show you how important the LSAT is.

Ginatio

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2004, 11:46:46 AM »
lol. ass

The people on xoxo would probably know best, seeing as a greater proportion of them will actually be attending these schools...most posters here are not quite that competetive (with a few obvious exceptions, of course)...

Bamaboy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2004, 12:04:12 PM »
Feel like I am in a similar situation to you with a 174/3.2 GPA.  Went to Penn.  You may want to consider Northwestern also because they seem to value LSATs highly.

Louder Than Bombs

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2004, 12:06:32 PM »
lol. ass

I wasn't talking about myself...in fact, I had you and zpops in mind when I wrote that...