Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Duke versus Vanderbilt  (Read 2345 times)

lope

• View Profile
Re: Duke versus Vanderbilt
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2006, 01:09:05 PM »
Well... I don't know.. there are all kinds of teacher positions in NC... but she just started, literally, this week at a preschool here in Nashville and thus far loves it. So it's kinda like chasing my dream might in a way be causing her to forfeit hers...granted, there's other jobs... but I almost would feel kinda guilty trying to get her to give up on her first job straight out of undergrad...

So many complications.

Yeah, NC is growing so fast that there are tons of openings for teachers there.  I'm from NY and I know more than a few people from here who have moved down to NC to teach because there are so many more jobs there.  

Before you start feeling guilty about trying to get her to move to NC, I'd just discuss it with her (or have you already?).  She might be much more willing to make the move than you think.  Good luck!

Stephon Devante

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2006, 02:01:19 PM »

Before you start feeling guilty about trying to get her to move to NC, I'd just discuss it with her (or have you already?).  She might be much more willing to make the move than you think.  Good luck!

I have mentioned it somewhat in passing...i.e. that I might have a chance of getting in. Not so much from a serious viewpoint of making arrangements to go if I actually did get in.
Paradiso: Vanderbilt ($$), UNC ($$), Wake Forest ($$$$), William & Mary ($$)
Purgatorio: Duke (WL), Northwestern (WL)
Inferno: Texas, Michigan, Penn, Cornell, Virginia

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?&cycle=0506&user=sdevante

oldhat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2006, 03:59:28 PM »
I'm struggling with similar problem with my girlfriend. Duke, why do you have to make this so difficult?

oldhat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2006, 04:04:45 PM »
If you start jerking her around now, she'll start eyeing the pool boy soon.

What a nasty thing to say. Jesus Christ...

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2006, 04:21:38 PM »
First, Duke's higher starting salary is a result of a large percentage of graduates going to work in NYC. The difference between the quality of the two schools is pretty negligible and it's just no fair to ask your wife to move for you two times in a very short period and putting you both $60K more into debt.

Stephon Devante

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2006, 04:34:47 PM »
You really seemed to like Vanderbilt. You're a bright person, and I don't think you'll see fewer opportunities out of Vandy than Duke, especially if you're not gunning for top NY BigLaw.

Your wife must be taken into consideration too. This is too early in the marriage to start jerking her around. That must wait until you're well into your 40s and you drop the bomb o her that you're leaving her and the kids because you've been nailing your secretary for the past three years.

If you start jerking her around now, she'll start eyeing the pool boy soon.

Nice...good stroke of optimism there...that's why we're having a pool GIRL... lol

This is a big mess... I just hope Dean Hoye decides one way or the other, very quickly, so I can get on with life.

Stephon Devante

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2006, 04:49:46 PM »
Well I definitely understand the train sentiment, which is exactly what makes even the possibility of getting in kinda bittersweet...

And as far as the terminal goal, yes Duke would be the primo school...UVA is very nice as well... but Duke is just awesome. And Cornell can blow me, haha, but I'm bitter with their bs. Back on track, yes I think Duke would be perfect...

But also, the train may have already passed that station

Doh

jackdeut

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2006, 05:14:54 PM »
I just got emailed from the dean as well as to whther I would be interested in coming to school this summer for the llm program. Right now I put my deposit down at USC and was totally stoked about Cal and L.A. Now it is whther I want to live in a bad ass city with a slightly lower school or live in Durham for three years and have a nice degree to hang on the wall. Hopefully the Dean will give us an indication shortly.

tinytim

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2006, 05:15:47 PM »
Three years down the road it won't matter to either school where you went or how much money you gave the school. It will matter to you though. Ya it sucks getting up and moving with a wife, but marriage isn't what these bozos on here refer to it as. Sit down with your wife. Tell her your thoughts and why you would like to go to Duke. Let her express her concerns and then together make a decision based on the overall picture. You are a partnership and you shouldn't feel guilty presenting her with a new deal. Look it over together and then together make a decision that is best for both of you.

allthatjazz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2006, 06:31:09 PM »
I feel your pain.  This would be a hard decision if it were me.  Oddly enough it was kind of me about a month ago.  My three top choices came down to UVa, Duke, and Vandy.  I choose UVa for the same reason you are agonizing over the possible opportunity to attend Duke; it was my "dream" school when I started applying to law school. 

Vandy is indeed an excellent school, but from my personal visit to Duke I liked the law school and the area there much better.  Even though Vandy would have cost me half of what Duke would have in terms of tuition, I had my heart set on attending Duke.  The only thing that changed that was the acceptance to UVa, which did not come until early April.  If simply having the possibility of going to Duke is causing you this much agony, do you think you will be able to look back in three years and not have a lot of regret over staying with Vandy?  Not a little regret but a lot of regret. 

Granted you have already moved and your wife has already found a job, so your situation is infinitely more complicated than mine.  Still, if Duke is your dream then perhaps you should sit down with her and discuss going there.  Lay out the pros and cons with her, and see what she thinks about the whole situation. 

Of course, you will have to break your lease and probably pay a penalty of some sort, but the Duke area is not hurting for nice and relatively inexpensive apartments.  Sure your wife has a job that she loves (at least one week into it), but she can find another education related job, especially in the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area.

So the real question is what about the next three years?  What about the possibility of passing up your dream?  I am a firm believer that you need to make the most of your opportunities, as you very often do not get a second chance; one chance to choose the right place to get your education and one chance to make the most of it.  This is particularly true when it comes to law school.

Would an education at Duke be that much better at providing you opportunities than Vanderbilt?  Most likely not, but isn't the journey a key part of the law school experience?

When it comes down to it, I am sure you will make the best decision for you and your wife, but do not let the possibility of a few hectic weeks dissuade you from seriously considering the option of attending Duke.  If the two of you can deal with the cost of moving to Durham and the uncertainty of her finding a job in a timely manner, then I say go for it.  Best of luck with whatever you decide.
What is history but a fable agreed upon?

UVa class of 09.