Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Duke question  (Read 8902 times)

Stephon Devante

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Duke question
« on: May 17, 2006, 07:03:18 PM »
I just received an email from Dean Hoye updating me on my status...he said the fall class remains full, but there are seats in the summer class that are open if I would be open to a dual degree...

Is this a generic email sent to everyone or does it look like they are really considering offering a spot?
Paradiso: Vanderbilt ($$), UNC ($$), Wake Forest ($$$$), William & Mary ($$)
Purgatorio: Duke (WL), Northwestern (WL)
Inferno: Texas, Michigan, Penn, Cornell, Virginia

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?&cycle=0506&user=sdevante

almso

• View Profile
Re: Duke question
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 07:47:29 PM »
I got the same email. I'm not interested, but because of the short timeframe for a June 1 start, I bet they didn't send it out to everyone who was waitlisted, but some subset they were already interested in. I could be wrong though, just a guess.

joespecial

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 09:27:19 PM »
I got the email...

buju

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 09:34:46 PM »
I got it too.  My undergrad degree is in chemical engineering and Im interested in IP law, so would I even be able to do a joint degree?  Duke doesnt have a ChemE program, so would it be possible to do a joint degree with Mechanical Engineering without an undergrad degree in MechE?

Stephon Devante

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 10:38:40 PM »
Well looks like some people have gotten this letter... I didn't realize the start date was so soon, no wonder they are scrounging for people...

Question though... to do a summer start/joint degree program... wouldn't you have to have already applied and been accepted to the OTHER degree program as well?

Or do you summer start the JD then apply to the other program for the following year?

Further... supposing you summer start as a dual degree then don't apply for the other program...could they kick you out of law school? lol

Many questions... Dare I hope that Duke genuinely might love me? lol
Paradiso: Vanderbilt ($$), UNC ($$), Wake Forest ($$$$), William & Mary ($$)
Purgatorio: Duke (WL), Northwestern (WL)
Inferno: Texas, Michigan, Penn, Cornell, Virginia

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?&cycle=0506&user=sdevante

rainyday

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 10:46:45 PM »
Also got this letter.

Duke has some dual degree programs that are really, um, *unique*; I think if you apply to do an MA in their plain-jane graduate school of arts & science, your regular application materials for the law school suffice.  These are for like history, econ, etc.  But if you want to do a joint MD, MBA, MPP, etc., additional apps are required to those specific schools.  Your question's a good one...they aren't going to let you into med school w/o your MCATs.

buju

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 10:50:31 PM »
Further... supposing you summer start as a dual degree then don't apply for the other program...could they kick you out of law school? lol

I was wondering the same thing, but the website says that if you're in the joint degree program, you won't receive your JD until you complete the required courses in the other subject.  Not sure if they let you transfer out of the joint degree program, but it looks like they may not.

goinCRAZY

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 10:54:07 PM »
also received the email. it says that you have the option to choose between JD/LLM or JD/MA. I don't think JD/MBA is an option however. To do that, I think you need to apply separately to their business school. Did anyone respond yet?

tttt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2006, 01:45:16 AM »
It's not a generic email. I'm on the waiting list trying to get into the JD/LLM program and I didn't get it.  :'(

I just received an email from Dean Hoye updating me on my status...he said the fall class remains full, but there are seats in the summer class that are open if I would be open to a dual degree...

Is this a generic email sent to everyone or does it look like they are really considering offering a spot?

buju

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2006, 06:55:19 AM »
It's not a generic email. I'm on the waiting list trying to get into the JD/LLM program and I didn't get it.  :'(

The email wouldnt have applied to you because it was saying, "Even though you didnt apply for a joint degree program, would you be willing to do one and start in the summer?".  Did anyone on the waiting list who did not apply for the JDLLM or the JDMA not get the email?