Law School Discussion

Duke question

slojo

Re: Duke question
« Reply #110 on: May 23, 2006, 10:55:20 AM »
I would attribute it to their desire for high admissions #'s, but isn't it the case that only fall starters' data get reported to LSAC/ABA/USNWR?  If so, the summer admit process should be more holistic, no?

« Reply #111 on: May 23, 2006, 11:06:46 AM »
that's interesting about the summer numbers-- i wasn't aware that it worked that way.

and i think that everyone on the summer waitlist has reason to be REALLY annoyed-- i have no idea why they pulled this stunt.... if they truly care about getting a class full of people who are going to do well in their programs, then why 'force' applicants with (possibly) little interest in these joint programs to do them just to have a chance to attend duke?  it seems rather ridiculous to me.  why even HAVE a summer waitlist if they're going to do everything they can not to admit the people on it for the program they want to do.  duke gets my vote for being one of the most asinine admissions offices i've dealt with this cycle.

« Reply #112 on: May 23, 2006, 11:17:07 AM »
that's interesting about the summer numbers-- i wasn't aware that it worked that way.

and i think that everyone on the summer waitlist has reason to be REALLY annoyed-- i have no idea why they pulled this stunt.... if they truly care about getting a class full of people who are going to do well in their programs, then why 'force' applicants with (possibly) little interest in these joint programs to do them just to have a chance to attend duke?  it seems rather ridiculous to me.  why even HAVE a summer waitlist if they're going to do everything they can not to admit the people on it for the program they want to do.  duke gets my vote for being one of the most asinine admissions offices i've dealt with this cycle.

I am extremely pissed off at Duke right now. If summer admits aren't included in the USNWR numbers, then why not admit people with slightly lower numbers who have shown an interest in the program? I for one have received no further communication since I got my waitlist, other than the standard "Do not call us" email they sent after I sent in my email expressing continued interest in the program.

assembletheways

« Reply #113 on: May 23, 2006, 11:35:17 AM »
I know it is tough when people don't get into a program that they wanted to attend.

However, I think people should be responsible for their emotions.

From all of my interactions, Dean Hoye is a very nice person, and I think they offered an opprotunity for people to adjust their application strategy after being through a long process.  This was to the benefit of both the law school, who could consider other applications, and individuals who decided to try to apply.  Duke is not forcing individuals to do anything. Period. You can still be considered for fall admission. It was an option.

The waitlist game is a long-shot effort for everyone.  If you don't want to play the game, then withdraw.

Finally, I am pretty sure that summer admits are included in the stats.  Either way, I don't think that Duke admits very many people who have LSAT's around the 25th percentile and GPAs signficantly below the 75th percentile.

slojo

« Reply #114 on: May 23, 2006, 11:46:59 AM »
I may be wrong about the reporting of admission statistics.  I'm still pretty sure that USNWR, at least, only publishes data on full-time, fall-term entering students. 

Anyway, it didn't help me out.  Just got my 'class is full' email (in the same form as that previously posted here).  Good luck to the rest.

« Reply #115 on: May 23, 2006, 11:51:07 AM »
i think we're all aware that waitlists are not compulsory- we play at our own risk.  

however, from what i've found, everyone who was admitted outright seems to love duke's admissions office... and most of the people waitlisted have a lot of complaints.  

of course, we could attribute this to the fact that we're all bitter because we didn't get in in the first place, but this isn't always the case with waitlisted applicants.  i for one have been continually impressed with the professionalism and care shown by michigan's admissions office throughout the whole process.  they make sure that applicants on the waitlist are kept up to date on what's happening and happy to provide more information whenever its asked for.  

duke, on the other hand, has not been as easy to work with.  sure, they've offered another opportunity for some us to gain admission, which is great, even though those it was offered to were forced to agree to do a joint program in order to take it.  however grateful we are and should be for this chance, i think the frustration you're seeing here and elsewhere has come from the fact that duke hasn't been great about communicating what's going on.  at first, all summer start programs were seen as options, but people were given different answers about the availability in reality of many of these.  we also were told that we would be given an up-or-down answer by several different deadlines, all which have since elapsed.  

on top of this, it certainly HAS to be annoying to those who were placed on a waitlist for the specific program that apparently had spots available to watch a bunch of people with no formerly expressed interest be consulted first.  

and finally...many of the people who got this email have 166/3.75+... which is low on the LSAT side, but certainly not in terms of gpa.

« Reply #116 on: May 23, 2006, 11:55:19 AM »
Just here to vent my anger with Duke.  Since getting the email last week I called the office a few times to talk to hoye but never got in touch, and emailed a couple times to convey interest.  I also sent a real letter of continued interest the other day and had a recommendation faxed this morning.  There was no response to any of this until I emailed hoye again after seeing the stuff on this thread this afternoon, where I then got the general letter that every one else has gotten.  I'm pretty pissed off at the the way they went about the whole thing.  That is all.  

« Reply #117 on: May 23, 2006, 11:56:22 AM »
That is the thing... they have been very shady and underhanded about it all... regardless of what the Duke class of 09 says.

« Reply #118 on: May 23, 2006, 11:59:04 AM »
ooh, i just got my '@#!*-off'...erm, i mean, 'we're sorry it's full' letter from hoye as well.   ;D

« Reply #119 on: May 23, 2006, 12:00:53 PM »
Every time I have dealt with Dean Hoye he has been very nice and  polite.  I have to agree that they must use summer programs in USNWR.  It is just hard because a waitlist gives you some hope.  Then to read that even though they say there is no ranking in the summer or fall waitlists they are asking people from the fall to think about the summer. 

We do the same thing that law schools do.  We apply to safety schools.  If they asked if we would for sure attend their school, we would say we are thinking about it.  We than would put them in our own waitlist.   I know I did this with at least one school.  Until I got into a better one. 

We understand the why, it is just the way it is done that we arenít super happy about.