good or bad

Has dome more good than bad
 2 (22.2%)
has done more bad than good
 3 (33.3%)
i have no clue
 4 (44.4%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: Hip-Hop Music  (Read 2325 times)

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Hip-Hop Music
« on: May 17, 2006, 06:05:51 PM »
seems to be a recurrent theme in some threads.

is it a good thing, or a bad?

and if you think its bad, do you still listen/watch?
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
Re: Hip-Hop Music
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 06:10:50 PM »
I won't lie, I love me some hip hop, especially in the club.  However, I know that a lot of this is straight up ridiculous *&^%--I'm in love with a stripper? Come the @#!* on.  THat's straight up ignorance. 

What I think is that people have a lot of problems separating this music from reality.  I can, and I would assume that most people on this site can as well.  However, there are those who can't.  There are some that think that hip hop music IS black culture (read: people who have never been around black people). In that way, it's negative, because it gives a distorted view of black life and culture.

Columbia 3L

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 06:13:10 PM »
ut what effect, if any, does it have on the black community itself?

LAcreole

• Sr. Citizen
  • The Struggle Continues
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 06:13:51 PM »
I think some of it is bad, considering a lot of it glorifies this hood rich type of mentality. But, I am very contradicting to myself, because I listen to it sometimes. It's all in fascination though, being that I had to sneak listening to hip-hop/rap growing up.
Sellouts for sale: 19.99 for reg. and 29.99 for the limit edition ones. Disclaimer: Not for a limited time only,they keep coming by the mintues.

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 06:53:27 PM »
would you continue to listen if you saw your young son/daughter immitating what they saw in the videos?

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 06:54:56 PM »
would you continue to listen if you saw your young son/daughter immitating what they saw in the videos?
ha, my dad used to beat my lil sister for mimicking dances in videos.  it's up to the parent to teach their child the separate videos from reality.
Columbia 3L

| J |

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 07:00:37 PM »
ha, my dad used to beat my lil sister for mimicking dances in videos.  it's up to the parent to teach their child the separate videos from reality.

I grew up listening to hip-hop, and I think I turned out ok.  Like someone said, you have to know how to seperate reality from fiction.  I don't think what's being marketed and sold is uplifting the community, but neither do i believe it is the source of our travails.  Quite the contrary, I think it reflects what is happening in many of our communities.  That's why many can identify with it.
USD '09.  Sunny San Diego, baby!

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 08:34:09 PM »
I love hip hop.  And I agree with jghall: it reflects problems in black communities at least as much as it perpetuates them.  That said, there is some truly foolish stuff out there.  The first time I heard Grillz I snarfed my Diet Coke.  And I love the WTC (I'm older, okay?), but some of those lyrics about women are just foul. But lots of music is like that -- dancehall, heavy metal, even pop tripe. 

snarfed?  is that legal?

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2006, 10:30:09 PM »
ut what effect, if any, does it have on the black community itself?

My main issue is that hip hop is exported all over the world as a representation of Black Americans. A friend of mine who is in Yale Law School, was student body president at Stanford, all around doing big things - so as you can imagine he carries himself a certain way and presents himself in a way that doesn't really scream "rapper" - walked into a music store in China and the clerk greeted him with a "Yo Whats up my n-word!!"

Yea. Outside of America there are NO positive representations of Black people. At least in the States there are black public figures who are not rappers. Even if white kids do digest this stuff, they can also turn on CSPAN and see Condi Rice. Not everyone loves her politics but she is still a positive representation of an African American woman. That is my problem with hip hop - it is exported all over the world and that's what people think Black people are. And I know it's not the fault of the artists and of the industry, but still. I'm not happy with this.

LOL - - that made me crack up!!!!  thats just so unexpected!

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2006, 10:35:31 PM »
its not funny, but its whatever the funny word is for unexpected hilartiy

like that eddie murphy bitfrom long ago

"i knowww you.  you the f*ck you man!  suck my male private part, hah?"