Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 0.0% International Students at Boalt, UCLA, etc?  (Read 1837 times)

goldrogers

0.0% International Students at Boalt, UCLA, etc?
« on: May 17, 2006, 06:03:33 PM »

I was looking at demographic data for schools on the West Coast, namely Boalt and UCLA,
and noticed that their percentage of international students was 0.0%. Does this mean
they have NO international students? And does that mean there are NO Canadian law
students at either of these schools? Do they have a policy of not accepting applications
from foreign students?

Any Canadians (or other foreign students), please advise! Thanks :D

farouk

• View Profile
Re: 0.0% International Students at Boalt, UCLA, etc?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 07:45:49 PM »
Why would you want to go all the way to the states and pay a ridiculous sum for a bad law degree, when you can get one here and write the bar in the US? 

I can't imagine the point of going to any US school beyond Chicago, when you can get an equlivalent or superior education from UofT for 1/3 the price.  That's why there's no Canadians at these schools.

mondesi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 08:09:33 PM »
This may not address your question, but I know international students do attend both schools for a the LLM program.

gillesthegreat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 08:14:01 PM »
Public schools in California most likely do not collect and/or report data about international students. I took a class at Boalt and at least two of the students in the class were not US citizens.
Penn (2007)

goldrogers

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 11:52:52 PM »
I guess the appeal of Boalt or UCLA would be the California weather, as opposed to Toronto. Not knocking on Toronto, mind you...both the city and university are exceptional, but for someone who's been dreaming about warm weather for a long time, heh...

I'm more interested in the JD, not LLM degree. So are there no foreign (including Canadian) JD students at Boalt or UCLA law? I understand many LLM students are foreign, but I'll be going for a JD.

farouk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 12:13:19 AM »
You have expensive taste my friend.  If you're worried that you'll be disadvantaged somehow, don't be.  If you have the numbers, you'll get in.  If anything, you may get a bump for diversity, unless they already have their requisite oddity candidates.

I can understand the weather appeal, but you should look into financing this adventure before you get too excited.  I know that top schools will finance their intl applicants, but I don't know if Boalt is so generous.

goldrogers

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 01:39:41 AM »
Yeah, I know...I'm entertaining an expensive thought. I figure I'll apply, await the results, and decide where to go after all the cards have fallen into place.

Good to know I won't be at a disadvantage. Hopefully I'll get into schools w/ generous financial aid...Boalt definitely doesn't seem to have all that much money to throw around.

Water

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006, 10:19:29 PM »
I'm not sure about Boalt and UCLA but I was admitted to the University of San Diego and UC Davis for the fall. I declined both acceptances because in the end I didn't want to pay the $35 000 a year in tuition.

HTH

gillesthegreat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2006, 11:06:49 PM »
It might be expensive, but the returns are interesting. I asked RBC for a loan to study in a US school. I was told that they could lend more than to typical studentes, based on the 'expected income' after graduation. Their loan manual apparently assumes a starting salary of 60,000$CA. Max amount of loan (total for 3 years, not per annum): 55,000$CA
Penn (2007)

Water

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2006, 10:04:05 AM »
I agree with you that salary prospects are much better in the US and because of that loans are easier to secure from banks. I decided not to attend a west coast school because the tuition and cost of living are just too high relative to other US locations. That being said I am still going to school in the US. I have other schools offering me sizeable scholarships which significantly cuts down on my fees.