Law School Discussion

Ask a Muslim anything.

Re: Ask a Muslim anything.
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2006, 05:48:42 AM »
This thread is a gross disappointment.

Not only is it disappointing due to Trollick perverting the opportunity and turning it into a flame-war, but it's even MORE disappointing due to juvenille level of response.  I'm particularly disappointed in you, red.  I not familiar with most of these posters throwing out jr.-high-school obscenities, but in the time I've been around you've always seemed pretty solid and sharp.  Even half-asleep and cranky after a long day, I would still expect better that this.  ALL you guys disgust me though, and illustrate why liberalism will always be a minority position in America... even when you do agree with staunch liberals, you wish you didn't.

A quick comment about the level of Muslim extremism portrayed on Al-jazeera and Western media.  I don't care which culture you're in, the mainstream media is going to be worthless whores whose only concern is ratings.  Conflict and contraversy == ratings.  This is why U.S. news broadcasts have devolved to the point where EVERY story is accompanied by two wacko guests, neither of which really represent anyone, just yelling at each other for five minutes.  This is why the impression of Christianity one would develop from watching Western media would be shaped by Jerry Falwell calling homosexuals "Satanists", and Pat Robertson referring to feminists as "lesbian practicioners of witchcraft" and openly calling for the assasination of Venezuela's president.

Religious extremism is pervasive in the media because it's contraversial and drives ratings.  That doesn't mean that reality is proportional to the portrayal.  The face of "Christianity" in the media will always belong to the Falwell's and Robertson's... you'll never read about Quakers, who trend liberal, or mainline Protestants, who eschew extremism, or any Roman Catholic who is talking about an issue unrelated to sex.  The vast majority of Christians, and I suspect the vast majority of Muslims as well, are moderates holding reasonable views. 

At the same time, I strongly doubt that the Falwell and Robertson supporters, or extremist Muslims, are an insignificant minority in the 1-2% range.  They may be tiny minorities in the respective intellectual circles that drives each religion's high scholarship, but their popular support among the ignorant and poor are no doubt higher.  I would guess as much as 1-in-5 within Christianity today, and I'd be surprised if it were less than that in the Muslim world due to the economic disparities of that region.

redemption

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2006, 05:57:28 AM »
Oh, spare me. I have been through multiple waves of this issue on this board. I have seen anti-muslim trolls come and go with their barely-concealed bigotry and their shifting illogical arguments.

You want to pander to hate, go ahead. Not me, and not anymore. :)

(And for the record, I never post when cranky)

spanishpolice

• Oh well, there'll always be the Steelers
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2006, 11:21:34 AM »
So a grasshopper walks (hops, actually) into a bar.

The bartender says "Hey, you know what - we have a drink named after you!"

And the grasshopper says,

"You have a drink named Steve?"

I'm not even kidding, I will be using that at least ten times next time I go out.

Dear Ask a Muslim Anything,

Who's the best movie villain and what was motivating his evil scheme?  To clarify, by best I mean worst and most laughable.

I, personally, am going to go with the bad guy from the first Mission Impossible who becamse a traitor and went against everything he had previously stood for because after the soviet union collapsed, he was an "obsolete relic of the cold war."

« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2006, 12:29:41 PM »
   Who's the best movie villain and what was motivating his evil scheme?  To clarify, by best I mean worst and most laughable.

I, personally, am going to go with the bad guy from the first Mission Impossible who becamse a traitor and went against everything he had previously stood for because after the soviet union collapsed, he was an "obsolete relic of the cold war."

Every example of the "evil football coach" archetype... the guy who tries too hard to "control" the hero quarterback (i.e. calling lots of running plays as opposed to letting him throw Hail Mary's on every down).

Fidelio

« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2006, 02:02:22 PM »
So a grasshopper walks (hops, actually) into a bar.

The bartender says "Hey, you know what - we have a drink named after you!"

And the grasshopper says,

"You have a drink named Steve?"

I'm not even kidding, I will be using that at least ten times next time I go out.

Dear Ask a Muslim Anything,

Well I guess this question is directed to me, though I speak under full correction.  Nevertheless, I think the best villian would have to be Pyramid Head from Silent Hill.  Maybe it is because I just saw the movie or because I was an avid Silent Hill video game fan.  Pyramid Head turns out is actually an accidental mental creation of the game's (and film's) protagonist.

Fidelio

« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2006, 02:06:55 PM »
I totally have not read this thread *still* but i dont think you ever responded to my question like 4 pages back...  ??? ??? ???

Sorry about that Duck. 

Let me look back at your question  ;)

Fidelio

« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2006, 02:07:58 PM »
this is me butting in and ignoring every post made on this thread to say something i should have said when the thread was first started:

okay so, we had judaism, we had christianity and all the mess that caused...and you guys decided to create yet ANOTHER religion based around the SAME friggin god? give it a rest, sheesh!

I thought it was "Ask ___" day yesterday on LSD  ;D

Achilles

« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2006, 02:09:53 PM »
Would you call shias muslims or are they categorized as infedels/nonbelievers?

Fidelio

« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2006, 02:19:01 PM »
Would you call shias muslims or are they categorized as infedels/nonbelievers?

Good question..

I would without any hesitation consider most of them Muslim. 

However, there are a few (mainly the Alawites) who believe God incarnated into the form of a man. This particular belief places them outside the fold of Islam. 

Fidelio

« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2006, 02:21:07 PM »
this is me butting in and ignoring every post made on this thread to say something i should have said when the thread was first started:

okay so, we had judaism, we had christianity and all the mess that caused...and you guys decided to create yet ANOTHER religion based around the SAME friggin god? give it a rest, sheesh!

I thought it was "Ask ___" day yesterday on LSD  ;D

That isn't what i was saying. I was talking about your religion, not your thread. See? :)

???