Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Kaplan: Isn't all that bad, is it?  (Read 1994 times)

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
Kaplan: Isn't all that bad, is it?
« on: January 30, 2004, 02:43:50 PM »
I would like to hear the flip-side of this debate:

Kaplan sucks, I have heard this in the other topic, well here's the thing I won a free class (1,100 value) in a big drawing.  I couldn't believe it I was so happy to know that my prepreation efforts would not need to be allocated with burdensome cost (which I can not afford I get married in less than 2 months and I am paying for a Math tutor)
So here's what I need from all of you members, and guests of this forum. Please anybody who has a happy Kaplan outcome to share with me I am sick of seeing all these negative notes about Kaplan, but when I speak to other post-kaplan prep students whom have taken the LSAT they are more than pleased so. I beg of you, let's hear something positive about this company so I don't have to forfeit my free meal ticket. Please post if you have good things or good results from the Kaplan course (the regular course not internet based). I need good feedback before I go and spend elsewhere. Anyone??
Winners: Cooley w/$, UDM
Losers: MSU, DePaul, NYLS, UI, Georegtown, WSU, PSU, Kent, Cleavland State, ASU
In Limbo + Purgatory: N/A

Law School Numbers.com

LSD Debut UGPA 3.651 Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT October 1st, 2005: 141

dsds3581

• View Profile
Re: Kaplan: Isn't all that bad, is it?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2004, 03:12:47 PM »
Just because people tell you good things about Kaplan doesn't mean you're going to have a good experience, nor does it mean it should make or break whether you go ahead and take it. You got it for free, so go ahead and take it and see.

I also got the course for free. I took it, had a good experience...but I have also learned that A) there's not much difference in what the courses will teach you and B) there's not much difference in the material presented in the course books and the material presented in the store books (which kind of makes the prep courses a ripoff, in my opinion). I also had to put a lot of work into it, and I don't think most people in my class did...and I also don't think most of them saw any real improvement (I improved over 10 points). Whether or not you take a prep course, you will have to put a lot of time and effort into prepping, so you can probably get away with either/or. However, you've got the chance to take it for free!

The jump taking Kaplan has over just studying on your own is they give you access to pretty much all the old LSATs, give you practice on real LSAT questions and give you about 5 timed tests, score them and give you a detailed description of your problems. Even if you overall have a bad experience with Kaplan, that alone with help quite a bit if you take advantage of it.

I've also learned that the quality of the course differs all over this country. If you really want to get the best idea of what your experience will be like, you should talk to people who have taken the course where you're looking to take it and find out about instructors, also.

keating

• Click Profile to change this text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2004, 05:07:26 PM »
Just take it and don't worry about it. The biggest risk is getting a bad instructor, so if you get a bad one, just ask to switch to another class. Forget all the negative things you've heard and go for it with an open mind. It's free, after all, so enjoy your good fortune and get to work!

prelaw_undergrad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2004, 07:28:31 PM »
Hey, how did ya'll get the free courses? I have an average (self-testing) score of 165+ and would like to improve.  Can you two tell me how you won the free classes?

OH! I say take the course.  If you find that Kaplan's methods aren't working for you (Kaplan admits their courses do not help 40% whose use them), then you can quit and keep the books they give you.

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2004, 10:46:36 PM »
I won the free course in a large drawing at the University of Arizona. They did the drawing in (successful) hopes of drawing attention to their company by requiring those who wish to be enterd into the drawing to fill out a questionaire that asked them when they are taking their post grad class (LSAT, MCAT, GMAT, GRE etc) and when they graduate. They also had to leave their email phone number and address (just in case they won-- I felt this was a campaign to annoy those that left their information (but check out http:\\www.kaptest.com they might be having one now).

I was wondering where you heard of that astonishingly depressing statistic the 40% stat (hopefully not from someone whom works there that wouldn't serve them very well LOL).

I do appreciate all the comments keep 'em coming!
 :) ;) :D ;D 8)

Law School Numbers.com

gpv00

• Click Profile to change this text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2004, 01:12:12 AM »
I would encourage you to order old LSAT's from the LSAC and take them in a "test-like" setting as a supplement to the Kaplan course.In retrospect I wish I had. I tested very well (at least in my opinion) on the Kaplan tests and felt that the real thing, especially the LR, was a lot more challenging. My score suffered as a result. Later.

prelaw_undergrad

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2004, 10:07:51 AM »
I was wondering where you heard of that astonishingly depressing statistic the 40% stat.

I found that statistic in the front cover of one of Kaplan's LSAT test prep books.  The book admitted that "2 out of 5" students who use Kaplan's products (books/classes) do not have any improvement.  I've spoken to a few people who claim that Kaplan study guides actually LOWERED their score.  I've found difficulty in using Kaplan's LSAT test prep books, but I'd hope that the classes would be better than the books. 

I would advise you to read the review's of Kaplan's LSAT test prep books on www.amazon.com

Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2004, 11:31:06 AM »
Ivy-  I have heard bad things about Kaplan, but I think it depends on where you are.  Obviously, the instructors in one location are not the same as in another.  They have a core teaching method, but many tend to stray from it.
That being stated, I would check the credentials of your potential teachers.  Not simply their LSAT score, but their approach as well. 
I took the LSAT180 course, which was great!!!  They had a number of teachers that you could choose from after previewing their methodology in the first week.  There are soo many different ways to approach the LSAT (strategies, etc).  I happened to choose a teacher who showed us several options and then allowed us to experiment with what worked for us.  For example, in reading comp, I read the questions first and then did a key word search in the text for the answers.  Others, however, will read the first and last paragraph, skim the rest, and then answer the questions.  There were about six other methods discussed.
The point is, no matter what course you take, there will be some things you can pick up that will help, but try to avoid instructors who say "this is the only way to do it."  That is a fallacy, and many students who try to use methods counterintuitive to their way of thinking, will actually do worse! 
Find what works for you....consistently.  After you have a way to approach the test, then begin to take practice LSAT's under timed conditions.  Go back over what you missed, and figure out why you missed it!
Remember, practice does not make perfect. 
PRACTICE ONLY MAKES PERMINANT!

I would not pass up a free course.  Just make sure to ignore things that you feel will hurt your score.

Victor

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2004, 03:46:20 PM »
Kaplan is like Subway fast food. People go to Subway because: (1) Popular (2) Its a quick easy way to achieve a goal (3) and Location.

How does this relate to Kaplan LSAT ? Well people go to Kaplan because its the most popular one and people just assume its the best prep out there. This is not true. People also go to Kaplan because they feel it'll be a quick easy way to achieve a goal. The goal for Subway is losing weight, the goal for Kaplan is getting a 165. And lastly, another reason is location. Kaplan services are on many campus's. It's easy setting up a course with them and not having to travel far.

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2004, 06:24:48 PM »
Interesting philosophy but this thread exists in hopes of giving posive experiences of KAPLAN or opinions as such, not negative.

Law School Numbers.com