0 (0%)
 0 (0%)
 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: .  (Read 2171 times)

redemption

Re: The Domestic Life of Lawyers
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2006, 12:57:33 PM »
Also, "good lawyer" doesn't necessarily mean "lawyer who works long hours".

Nemesis

• LSD Obsessed
  • The High Priestess
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2006, 01:25:54 PM »
Of course, you could put off motherhood until 40+. I doubt it will be as frowned upon then as it is now. Oh, and adoption is always available.

The chances of having a child with a birth defect start increasing rapidly after age 30, tick tock.  At age 35 youve got a 1/350 chance of having a kid with down syndrome compared to a 1/1100 chance at 29.

http://www.musckids.com/health_library/hrpregnant/over30.htm

Yeah my sister told me that once...Oh well, sorry kid!

Of course I'm joking!
Who's your Daddy now?

laurrk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2006, 02:06:56 PM »
I'm going to be 32 when I finish law school, so I think children are out of the question.

So should I give up on having a family because I'm going to be graduating at almost 31?

laurrk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2006, 02:15:51 PM »
I'll be 28 when I start 1L, and I'm worried about the dating scene at law school. I don't want to have children past 35, and I'd like to have two or three kids, so if I don't meet someone in law school I'll really be in trouble.

"Legapp" Stands for "Legal Application"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2006, 02:19:35 PM »
what will you ladies do if you find you cant be a good lawyer and a good mommy?

This question misses the point.  The best parent is a happy parent, so if you're sitting at home angry and resentful that you had to give up a career, you'll take it out on the kid (or try to use the kid to fulfill your dreams)... bad stuff.  

To me, I'd find it far preferable to hire a loving nanny and have a happy mom taking care of the kid 3 hours/day than a bitter mom around 24/7.  But I still think the optimum thing, if you know you don't want to be a stay-at-home mom (like me), is to find a man willing to be a stay-at-home dad.  :)
I am officially a law school graduate : )

Hybrid Vigor

• Sr. Citizen
  • prestigious
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2006, 02:22:07 PM »
I'll be 28 when I start 1L, and I'm worried about the dating scene at law school. I don't want to have children past 35, and I'd like to have two or three kids, so if I don't meet someone in law school I'll really be in trouble.

LS is very High Schoolish, probably not wise to date someone in your school. Depends though. I'd keep a sharp eye out for the guys in other disciplines, like medicine or business (B school boys being my personal fave)
Die Luft der Freiheit weht

laurrk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2006, 02:25:49 PM »
If you want to have 3 kids by the time you're 35 and you'll be 28 when you start law school... so, starting right with the babies upon graduation?  Wouldn't it be tough to start out as a lawyer having baby after baby?

Yes, but probably not as difficult as it will be to meet someone who I want to have kids with. Maybe law school is really a big mistake. I wanted to go to law school because I am interested in the law, and it would be a good way to set myself up to earn more than I am making now, and it seemed to fit in really well with my plans with my ex-bf. But we broke up last month and now I'm worried that going to law school will mean I won't be able to have a family someday because I won't be able to meet someone to marry before it's too late to have kids. And that really depresses me.

Nemesis

• LSD Obsessed
  • The High Priestess
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2006, 02:26:43 PM »

LS is very High Schoolish, probably not wise to date someone in your school. Depends though. I'd keep a sharp eye out for the guys in other disciplines, like medicine or business (B school boys being my personal fave)

Gross, gross.
Who's your Daddy now?

Cree83

• Sr. Citizen
  • henry
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2006, 02:27:57 PM »

Gross, gross.

i'm with you there annabel.  though i do seem to like engineers.
She said "love, love, love is all that matters"
I said "sure, I guess, whatever"
She said "what does that mean"
I said "nothin, it's just good to have a backup plan"

"Legapp" Stands for "Legal Application"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2006, 02:32:18 PM »

Gross, gross.

My reaction exactly!  I'll be sticking with the artsy guys  :)

But then again, I'm also not looking for someone who will support me and a family financially.
I am officially a law school graduate : )