Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: george jefferson opposes affirmative action!  (Read 958 times)

rhombot

• Sr. Citizen
  • hanthala
    • View Profile
case '09

UVA2Law

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: george jefferson opposes affirmative action!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 10:48:12 AM »
What are you trying to insinuate by posting this thread?  I'm just curious.  If it's something along the lines "this black man opposes affirmative action so you know there is something wrong with it" then I would like to throw a few things out there along your same line of reasoning.  Condi Rice, Bill Cosby, and Colin Powell are all conservative and despite Cosby's recent rants they all support AA.  Big time firms, typically run by white males, support AA.  Law School admissions boards, again typically composed of white men and women, all support AA.  Despite the Congress being in conservative hands they could outlaw AA but haven't done so.  AA is not a federally mandated program.  Undergraduate, law, and grad schools CHOOSE to use it.  You have to ask yourself why would they CHOOSE to use it when the program is so unpopular among White Americans?  Perhaps they know a little, no a lot more, about the pros and cons of the system and the majority of the big name schools figured the pros outweigh the cons.

I have posted something similar to this but I think it's worth repeating.  Affirmative action is not as prevalent as people make it out to be.  Few schools even get enough applications to practice it.  Also, the minority population is not substantial enough to claim that it makes a huge difference in the admissions process.  Let's take the University of Virginia undergrad. as an example.  Our undergraduate program is less then 10% Black meaning that any given class has around 300 Blacks give are take a dozen or two.  This year the University of Virginia accepted 5,829 applicants out of 16,252.  Let's assume for a minute that none of the 300 Blacks were qualified (very untrue statement), that would mean you have 300 open spots for the 10,423 applicants who were rejected.  What does this mean?  for every one Black admitted to UVA about 35 students are rejected.  The numbers don't add up for anyone claiming that a Black or other minority "took their spot" now do they? The numbers for UVA Law are just as bleak, if not more, for those who wish to claim the same thing at the law school.  The overall inference that can be drawn is that if you were rejected chances are you would have been rejected with out AA.

Now lets talk about some justifications for AA.  One: Diversity.  The Supreme Court has said that race is something that must be viewed with strict scrutiny and that the state must show a compelling government interest.  How about this for a compelling interest.  By the year 2050 the Whites will no longer be a majority, meaning over 50% of our nation be a minority (if the Hispanic growth rate continues).  Is it not a compelling government interest to see that the nation is represented adequately?  If not for the image and morality then for the economy?  Before I end my discussion on diversity I must stress that Whites benefit from it as well.  Race is NOT the only diversity factor.  There is geography, legacy, donation history (not really diversity), everyone gets a chance to explain how they are different in the personal state, etc.

Two: righting past wrongs.  In my opinion this justification is the best one.  Discrimination against minorities, with particular emphasis on Blacks and Native Americans date back to the colonial days.  For Blacks legal discrimination remained until the 1960s, only 40 years ago.  First there was slavery in the 1800s, then there was the Redemption Era which turned back most progress of Reconstruction, Black Codes (a result of redemption), Jim Crow laws, bill manipulation by the Southern delegation to Congress to exclude Blacks from programs like Social Security, Veteran's benefits, health care, etc.; there was and still is de facto segregation in our neighborhoods and schools (if you don't think this matters with funding or safety then I suggest reading Douglass Massey's writing on housing discrimination)... The general argument here is that you don't have to look as far back as slavery to see government and societal suppression of Blacks.  These things have had an effect on Blacks today.  It is NOT a coincidence or solely based on moral character that Blacks, a race that was enslaved in this country, had laws enacted to suppress them in this country, had law manipulated to exclude them in this country, is the race which is most disproportionately poor, unhealthy, and uneducated than their fellow White Americans.  Affirmative action doesn't punish Whites for what happened in the past or present, I have already established that if you got rejected chances are you wouldn’t have gotten in anyway, but it helps heal the wounds of the past which remain open until this very day.  It has been VERY effective.  Look at the stats on Black upward mobility over the past 40 years if you don't believe me.

Three:  everyone who gets in is QUALIFIED.

rhombot

• Sr. Citizen
  • hanthala
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 11:02:02 PM »
i'm not attacking AA. i'm just making fun of ward connerly cause he sort of looks like sherman hemsley.
case '09

UVA2Law

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 08:55:21 AM »
Sorry about the rant rhombot.... upon looking at the photo I will say he does look a little like George Jefferson.... I wonder how Wheezie is? :)

rhombot

• Sr. Citizen
  • hanthala
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 03:03:19 PM »
it's a good rant - it's just misdirected. i'm a supporter of AA and have worked hard while in student government to get the university administration to be more supportive of low-income and URM students.
case '09