Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Calling all students who have visited both ND and GW  (Read 1272 times)

FinalFantasy777

• View Profile
Calling all students who have visited both ND and GW
« on: May 17, 2006, 02:17:00 AM »
Tell me about your visit, this is really bad but I have to choose a school without visiting, so i'm trying to go for the second best thing and would like to know what others think of these schools.  Thanks.

FinalFantasy777

• View Profile
Re: Calling all students who have visited both ND and GW
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 02:21:59 AM »
oh and any advice would be helpful not just from ppl who have visited

kingralph

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 09:37:09 AM »
They are so different. Do you have any familiarity with the midwest or mid-atlantic?

tinytim

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 11:12:44 AM »
Notre Dame
The law school is actually pretty old and cramped, but has that gothic feel to it. The rest of the ND campus is amazing. South Bend is a rather small town and the school is on the outskirts. The closest big city is about two hours away (Chicago). There is a strong Catholic tradition at ND and they openly admit that Catholic doctrine is the foundation for all of their classes. They did seem to be tolerant of other religions and views though.

I decided not to attend ND mostly because of location and it just didn't feel right. I am all about religion, but don't like it forced on me and didn't want it to be the center of my legal education. The alumni base I hear is amazing.

George Washington
I visited this school during the Roe v Wade demonstrations. We drove into DC in the late evening and their were police cars on every corner. The inside of the law school is rather nice and state of the art, but the GW campus isn't your typical campus setup. You will have a building here and then two or three building down the street there will be another GW building. The school is right in downtown DC. Housing is rather expensive and hard to come by and traffic is a nightmare.

The school has a great reputation, but it is very expensive, especially with cost of living figured in. It is also huge with over 1000 students. I felt like I would get lost with so many students and such a spread out campus.

I actually turned down both of these schools, but if they were my only options, I would go with Notre Dame unless you want to work in DC then I would go with GW.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Lenny

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 11:22:58 AM »
I would go with Notre Dame even if you want to work in DC.  Almost every student at GW is going there over some other school because they want to work in DC - why else would you pay such a huge premium when there are similar options for a fraction of the price?  Thus, when it comes to OCI, the GW student will be competing against almost all of their class - the supply of applicants far far outweighs the demeand from the firms because firms want diverse summer classes.  In contrast, your classmates at Notre Dame came there, for the most part, for the reputation of the school, not so they could get a job in Indiana.  They will be looking to go all over the country, meaning that a relatively small percentage of your classmates will actually be trying to end up in any one market.  This greatly tilts the supply side.  For example, the DC firms want a Notre Dame student, just like they want a GW student, a UVA student, a W&L student, G-town student, a Harvard student, etc.  So, the supply/demand comparison is much different, and I think better, for the Notre Dame student, plus you're not paying a ton to still live a 40 minute metro ride from school.

Lenny

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 12:37:38 PM »
My reasoning is the result of having spent two summers as a summer associate at large law firms, one of which was a large DC law firm, and observing the makeup of the summer classes at my firms and at other firms.  Without a doubt, there is a more than adequate supply of qualified students from GW and Georgetown for all of the DC firms to fill their ranks with those students and never have to spend the money to go recruit at far away schools.  Yet, in a class of 18 summer associates, I had ONE GW student, ONE Georgetown student.  As a result, Washington and Lee, Harvard, Yale, NYU, UVA, Stanford, GW and Georgetown all had equal representation at one firm.  Why would a firm spend the money to go to all of those schools if they saw GW and Georgetown students as equal or better than the other schools?  The answer is that the firms want a diverse summer class from many schools - this allows the firm to be plugged into several networks instead of just a couple, which is important as most new business is the result of referrals, and most referrals come from your law school classmates. 

Does GW place more students in DC than Notre Dame or Emory of W&L or WUSTL?  Yes.  Does this mean that a GW student is more likely to get a job at firm X than is a student from some other school?  I don't think so.

TheGunner

• Sr. Citizen
  • Seems simple enough...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 02:13:00 PM »
I would go with Notre Dame even if you want to work in DC.  Almost every student at GW is going there over some other school because they want to work in DC - why else would you pay such a huge premium when there are similar options for a fraction of the price?  Thus, when it comes to OCI, the GW student will be competing against almost all of their class - the supply of applicants far far outweighs the demeand from the firms because firms want diverse summer classes.  In contrast, your classmates at Notre Dame came there, for the most part, for the reputation of the school, not so they could get a job in Indiana.  They will be looking to go all over the country, meaning that a relatively small percentage of your classmates will actually be trying to end up in any one market.  This greatly tilts the supply side.  For example, the DC firms want a Notre Dame student, just like they want a GW student, a UVA student, a W&L student, G-town student, a Harvard student, etc.  So, the supply/demand comparison is much different, and I think better, for the Notre Dame student, plus you're not paying a ton to still live a 40 minute metro ride from school.

This is, to put it mildly, not very good advice.  Do a search of the NALP directory to find how many firms from DC interview at GW, and how many interview at ND.  I can assure you that many more interview at GW. 
Maybe a student at the top of the class at Notre Dame will have some choices in DC, but a median student from Notre Dame will not be getting any jobs over a median student from GW in DC, simply because the firm wants a "diverse class".

kafkakafka

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 02:51:30 PM »
I visited GW, but not ND.  I visited GULC the same day and was very impressed- GULC is kind of this independent little colony with very nice facilities, including a law school pool(!).  GW was pretty bland in comparison, and I didn't really care for the set up of the campus.  The law school building is like all the other buildings on GWU, just on a corner amongst other random buildings throughout a few blocks downtown.  That said I would have considered GW only with a large scholarship.

I understand that NDLS facilities are quite old, but I've always loved the ND campus, and the tuition (with fellowship) + cost of living and the alumni network are really attractive to me; I'm going to ND.

bruinbro

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-Blitz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2006, 10:28:49 PM »
I visited GW, but not ND.  I visited GULC the same day and was very impressed- GULC is kind of this independent little colony with very nice facilities, including a law school pool(!).  GW was pretty bland in comparison, and I didn't really care for the set up of the campus.  The law school building is like all the other buildings on GWU, just on a corner amongst other random buildings throughout a few blocks downtown.  That said I would have considered GW only with a large scholarship.

I understand that NDLS facilities are quite old, but I've always loved the ND campus, and the tuition (with fellowship) + cost of living and the alumni network are really attractive to me; I'm going to ND.

This is pretty accurate. I might add that the interior of GW is very nice and ND has been rumored to be building a new law school in the future.
In: Case Western ($$), IU-B ($$), USD ($$), Pitt ($$), Iowa, Wisconsin , George Mason ($), Loyola-LA ($$), UC-Davis, UIUC ($), American, Tulane ($$),GW
Out: Notre Dame,BC,WUSTL,Cornell,W&L

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2006, 06:42:01 AM »
South Bend would be a miserable place to spend 3 years.  There is NOTHING there except drunken undergrads.  No city, no fine food, nothing.

Attending GW in Fall '06