Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Ask a Homosexual  (Read 44358 times)

posnerd

• Sr. Citizen
  • f' off Dworkin
    • View Profile
Re: Ask a Homosexual
« Reply #410 on: May 27, 2006, 06:58:01 PM »
"Heterosexual lust is not a necessary element of the desire to have children or a family."

Here is where we disagree.

How?  You really think that most people want to have children because they like having heterosexual vaginal intercourse?  It's absurd.

I'm not particularly interested in these other topics, but you may want to look back at the beginning of the thread for other people's responses to related questions.  I'll just answer that I think that homosexuality has the same origins as heterosexuality, whether they are environmental or genetic.  And I don't particularly care which.

All I've been saying is there is an innate drive to participate in sexual intercouse... to procreate.  You can call it heterosexual lust... or whatever term you want.
Of course, there are other reasons to participate in sex... societal pressure, entertainment, etc. 

Do birds and bees contemplate their future offspring before they get it on?   

Anyways, it would follow that it appears that homosexuals simply lack this trait or it is suppressed.

Anyone else in the thread is free to answer my question on genetics vs. environment.  I'm interested in people's responses.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: May 27, 2006, 07:08:52 PM »
"Heterosexual lust is not a necessary element of the desire to have children or a family."

How?  You really think that most people want to have children because they like having heterosexual vaginal intercourse?  It's absurd.

I'm not particularly interested in these other topics, but you may want to look back at the beginning of the thread for other people's responses to related questions.  I'll just answer that I think that homosexuality has the same origins as heterosexuality, whether they are environmental or genetic.  And I don't particularly care which.

All I've been saying is there is an innate drive to participate in sexual intercouse... to procreate.  You can call it heterosexual lust... or whatever term you want.
Of course, there are other reasons to participate in sex... societal pressure, entertainment, etc. 

Anyways, it would follow that it appears that homosexuals simply lack this trait or it is suppressed.

Anyone else in the thread is free to answer my question on genetics vs. environment.  I'm interested in people's responses.

Now you're missing my point.  Even if I accept your rather primitive formulation that people are inspired to have heterosexal vaginal intercourse so they can perpetuate the species and vice versa, don't you believe that there might be other reasons people might want to have children?  For instance, what if I want to have children because I enjoy being around children?  How is that an insufficient motivation?
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: May 27, 2006, 08:16:03 PM »

Now you're missing my point.  Even if I accept your rather primitive formulation that people are inspired to have heterosexal vaginal intercourse so they can perpetuate the species and vice versa, don't you believe that there might be other reasons people might want to have children?  For instance, what if I want to have children because I enjoy being around children?  How is that an insufficient motivation?

thats just crazy talk.  your crazy!!!
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: May 27, 2006, 08:17:15 PM »
Even if I accept your rather primitive formulation that people are inspired to have heterosexal vaginal intercourse so they can perpetuate the species and vice versa, don't you believe that there might be other reasons people might want to have children?  For instance, what if I want to have children because I enjoy being around children?  How is that an insufficient motivation?

thats just crazy talk.  your crazy!!!

Don't worry, blueb.  It was all in the conditional.

I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

posnerd

• Sr. Citizen
  • f' off Dworkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: May 27, 2006, 08:25:20 PM »

Now, you're getting to the heart of the question.  From where comes this motivation?  Is it natural to want to have children... do women enjoy being around children because they are naturally mothers and must carry the developing child?  Or is it more influenced by societal pressure...?  

I really don't think desiring children can be equated to just taste... like some people want chocolate and some want vanilla.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: May 28, 2006, 12:49:18 AM »
Now, you're getting to the heart of the question.  From where comes this motivation?  Is it natural to want to have children... do women enjoy being around children because they are naturally mothers and must carry the developing child?  Or is it more influenced by societal pressure...?  

I really don't think desiring children can be equated to just taste... like some people want chocolate and some want vanilla.

I don't know what will satisfy you if loving and wanting to spend time with kids in itself is not enough.  Are you looking for a biological origin?  I probably can't help you with that.  But I can think of a number of explicitly non-biological reasons people might want to have children (some of which I mentioned before): to please their parents, spouses, or partners; to receive public benefits; to gain acceptance in their community; to vicariously live out their bygone dreams; to populate their religions or armies; to find a bone-marrow match for their sick loved ones; to work the family farm.  Some of these reasons may be less legitimate than others, but they all seem like sufficient motives to bear and/or rear children absent heterosexual desire.

I am also interested in the answers to archival's questions.

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: May 28, 2006, 12:51:41 AM »
Now, you're getting to the heart of the question.  From where comes this motivation?  Is it natural to want to have children... do women enjoy being around children because they are naturally mothers and must carry the developing child?  Or is it more influenced by societal pressure...? 

I don't know what will satisfy you if loving and wanting to spend time with kids in itself is not enough.  Are you looking for a biological origin?  I probably can't help you with that.  But I can think of a number of explicitly non-biological reasons people might want to have children (some of which I mentioned before): to please their parents, spouses, or partners; to receive public benefits; to gain acceptance in their community; to vicariously live out their bygone dreams; to populate their religions or armies; to find a bone-marrow match for their sick loved ones; to work the family farm.  Some of these reasons may be less legitimate than others, but they all seem like sufficient motives to bear and/or rear children absent heterosexual desire.

to start their own cult

the Cult Of Blue.

open to impressinable babes off all ethncities

must be able to chant.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: May 28, 2006, 12:52:47 AM »
Now, you're getting to the heart of the question.  From where comes this motivation?  Is it natural to want to have children... do women enjoy being around children because they are naturally mothers and must carry the developing child?  Or is it more influenced by societal pressure...? 

to start their own cult

the Cult Of Blue.

must be able to chant.

Exactly!  Like I said, to populate their religions or armies...

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: May 28, 2006, 12:56:24 AM »

to start their own cult

the Cult Of Blue.

must be able to chant.

Exactly!  Like I said, to populate their religions or armies...

yep, and there is no country on earth that wouldnt love to be invaded by the Blue army.

my babe brigades run out and, ummm, cause the enemies to prematurely fire.

again and again and again....

;D

trogdor

• Sr. Citizen
  • the BURNINATOR!
    • View Profile
    • LSN profile
« Reply #419 on: May 28, 2006, 01:19:18 AM »

comparisons with birds and bees?  come now... care to try again? 

this discussion has already been had... look back in the thread.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." Orwell