Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Ask a Homosexual  (Read 43695 times)

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
Re: Ask a Homosexual
« Reply #390 on: May 27, 2006, 03:51:14 PM »
Do male homosexuals prefer male children to female children when adopting?

Is it the opposite for lesbians?

As a gay man, I would take either, but I would probably prefer female children. If I had a son I would need to find a good hetero male role model he could hang out with, because if he develops typical straight male interests (sports, cars, fixing things) I would be completely clueless... but I would always be available to discuss ballet and Madonna's career trajectory.
I have straight friend who says that if she were to have a kid, she'd want a gay son so that could go shopping together.

Anyway, I hate to disappoint you Odaiko, but I have a little girl who (until recently) acted like a geeky boy (comic books, video games). If it weren't for my boyfriend, I would have had no idea how to entertain her.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #391 on: May 27, 2006, 03:55:33 PM »
Do male homosexuals prefer male children to female children when adopting?

Is it the opposite for lesbians?

I had never heard this.  I know gay men with boys (only one family) and lots of lesbians with both boys and girls.  I think, given the fact that it is very common for women (single mothers, for instance) to be primary caregivers to both male and female children, women might have less of the anxiety Odaiko describes about having children of one sex or the other.  And Odaiko, I don't think you should worry too much.  Plenty of women who are helpless in sports and such have reared perfectly butchity little boys. You would do just fine. 
The lesbians I have known who have had children have had female children. Of course those were biological children, and this is anectdotal, FWIW.
I also agree with the bolded part of Miss P's statement. That is because I have good reason to believe that one's personality largely determined at birth (I know this is a controversial point of view, but if you knew my daughters you would understand why I feel that way).
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #392 on: May 27, 2006, 04:01:05 PM »
Unless there's something to indicate she really believed in their stance on gay issues (as opposed to supporting them in spite of their stance and because she agreed on other issues), I think she can still redeem herself.

Both Mary Cheney and D!ck Cheney are opposed to the Constitutional amendment defining marriage as between a man and a woman (which George W. Bush supports.) That is to both their credit(s).

Other than that... I think Mary Cheney should be ashamed of herself for supporting the Bush ticket through two elections. Whether she can "redeem herself" is unlikely. If she'd like to try, I'm sure the USA will be watching, though I won't.
It is tough not to support a relative.
My brother is a politician, and a JERK.  I still wanted him to win, because he's my brother.
Of course my brother wasn't running for Vice President (he plans to run for president one day, if things go according to his master plan). If my brother were running for a high-ranking office I admit I might not vote for him.  In any case, I would not work on his presidential campaign unless he changed a lot of his platform. Wow, I'm rambling today :-[

-TMcGraw

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #393 on: May 27, 2006, 04:03:42 PM »
Why do some homosexuals, who by definition do not wish to engage in heterosexual sex, desire to have children, whom are typically created by said action?

Well, i won't presume to hijack the role of resident expert here; instead, I will pose a counter-question: why do so many heterosexuals have sex, which biologically is for the purpose of making children, when they don't want children?

Yes, why do you want to eat* souffles that you don't care to learn to cook?  Why do you want to drive* cars that you haven't yourself learned to manufacture, or even fix?  Why do you want to take advantage* of medical advances that you haven't yourself even investigated?  etc.

No offense, but this just seems like nonsense to me.  Is it really the fact that heterosexuals are able to produce children through their sexual intercourse what legitimates their family choices?  What about people with fertility and health problems?  What about people who adopt for religious and moral purposes? 

*not that I am advocating eating, driving, or taking advantage of children.

I never stated that the capability to produce children legitamized family choices.  However, you fail to consider that both groups, those that are infertile and religious, could possess a desire to procreate.  You seem to be sidestepping the question.  I never addressed adoption rights.

As for your opening analogies, it seems nonsensical that one would equate the creation of a child, the union of your genes and another's to create a new and unique form of life, to the creation of a consumable good such as a souffle or an automobile.

That's true, a souffle or an automobile can be made to one's specifications. They nearly always turn out the way you wanted.  And few can claim that a souffle or an automobile broke their hearts.

-TMcGraw

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: May 27, 2006, 04:04:56 PM »
That's true, a souffle or an automobile can be made to one's specifications. They nearly always turn out the way you wanted.  And few can claim that a souffle or an automobile broke their hearts.

Clearly spoken by someone who has not made a souffle lately!
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #395 on: May 27, 2006, 04:08:10 PM »

Clearly spoken by someone who has not made a souffle lately!
Truthfully I've never had a souffle in my life  :-[ However, I was referring to the fact that a person can order a souffle.
I wish I could return my daughters until they came out just how I wanted 'em.  :D

-TMcGraw

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: May 27, 2006, 04:10:14 PM »
Truthfully I've never had a souffle in my life  :-[ However, I was referring to the fact that a person can order a souffle.
I wish I could return my daughters until they came out just how I wanted 'em.  :D

With you as their mom, they'll turn out great, db, I promise.  How old are they?

I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

posnerd

• Sr. Citizen
  • f' off Dworkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: May 27, 2006, 04:13:08 PM »
"Heterosexual lust is not a necessary element of the desire to have children or a family."

Here is where we disagree.  Which leads me to...

Another question(s):

Is homosexuality a genetic trait, an environmental trait, or both?

If it is genetic, then why do twin studies reveal that many homosexual twins do not share the same sexual orientation with their idential twin counterpart?

If it is environmental, what environmental influences could cause one to be homosexual?

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #398 on: May 27, 2006, 04:23:28 PM »

With you as their mom, they'll turn out great, db, I promise.  How old are they?
Awww that's sweet Miss P.
Let's just say they aren't THIS little anymore.

EDIT: Pics removed to prevent blue from flirting with them.

-TMcGraw

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: May 27, 2006, 04:25:06 PM »
dbgirl, they're gorgeous!