Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Ask a Homosexual  (Read 45145 times)

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Ask a Homosexual
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2006, 12:49:50 PM »
In news that will surely disappoint some of you, women don't generally go to the bathroom in front of other women.  And no.

::)
I realize that you're working really hard to try and be funny to other posters, but maybe try harder or something.  Stalls and urinals often adjoin in such a way as to allow for sight and sound transfer.

No, if I was being funny, it was my natural wit or reflexive, misanthropic sarcasm (take your pick), but it wasn't work.  And if I remember correctly, you were the one that entered this thread telling me to "get a life" because I posted something you didn't recognize.

I tried to take this question seriously, but I have to be honest that I find it a bit silly.  But I'll try again.  My answer is, in general, no.  But sure -- the same way that you might be uncomfortable going to the bathroom at the same time as your boss or someone with whom you have a job interview, I wouldn't want to make the rustling sound of opening my tampon or fart or anything if some girl I thought was cute was in there.  But I'm generally a bit shy about using public bathrooms (for anything icky) anyway.  I also think this question is probably more apt for men, who actually do relieve themselves communally and reveal (in whatever limited sense) their flaccid penises to each other.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

trogdor

• Sr. Citizen
  • the BURNINATOR!
    • View Profile
    • LSN profile
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2006, 12:50:00 PM »
if those seminars that claimed to "cure" gay people worked, would you do it?

Good question.  Now, no.  Ten years ago (I'm 28), yes. 

"I have a question.  Are you offended by someone supports gay rights (having equal rights as straight people) but at the same time believes homosexuality is immoral?  "

While I'm glad you support equal rights for gay people (for whatever reason), I doubt we could be friends if you think I'm immoral because I'm gay.

I have many friends who engage in various activities that I don't agree with but their some of my favorite people in the world.  I think people can be friends even though they disagree on certain issues. 

the interpretation is far different from the perspective of a gay person.  of course friends can disagree with certain actions of other friends and still be friends.  however, to a gay person, to say "your actions are immoral", is tantamount to saying, YOU are immoral!  it's difficult to be friends with someone who refuses to acknowledge your identity beyond sex.   
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." Orwell

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2006, 12:52:33 PM »
In news that will surely disappoint some of you, women don't generally go to the bathroom in front of other women.  And no.

I realize that you're working really hard to try and be funny to other posters, but maybe try harder or something.  Stalls and urinals often adjoin in such a way as to allow for sight and sound transfer.

Do shut up, will you? I know that you're working really hard to be the resident moron, but that spot's over-subscribed. Putz.

Thanks for the reinforcement, love.

I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

trogdor

• Sr. Citizen
  • the BURNINATOR!
    • View Profile
    • LSN profile
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2006, 12:52:51 PM »
If others thought my actions were evil I wouldn't really care because their beliefs are different than mine and thats okay.  As long as they weren't infringing on my rights, then they are entitled to their beliefs. 

i would never say that you're not entitled to your own moral beliefs.  this is why i think offensive is an improper way to phrase it.  however, i think that you're deluding yourself if you think that it wouldn't affect you and your perceptions. 
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." Orwell

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2006, 12:54:15 PM »

No, if I was being funny, it was my natural wit or reflexive, misanthropic sarcasm (take your pick), but it wasn't work.  And if I remember correctly, you were the one that entered this thread telling me to "get a life" because I posted something you didn't recognize.

I tried to take this question seriously, but I have to be honest that I find it a bit silly.  But I'll try again.  My answer is, in general, no.  But sure -- the same way that you might be uncomfortable going to the bathroom at the same time as your boss or someone with whom you have a job interview, I wouldn't want to make the rustling sound of opening my tampon or fart or anything if some girl I thought was cute was in there.  But I'm generally a bit shy about using public bathrooms (for anything icky) anyway.  I also think this question is probably more apt for men, who actually do relieve themselves communally and reveal (in whatever limited sense) their flaccid penises to each other.

ok, now we KNOW your kidding, cause we all know women dont fart.

doesnt happen.

nope

never.

unh uh
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2006, 12:57:18 PM »

imnot going to try and convert you, butt

"I can't answer this question.  But I do count myself lucky that a lot of lesbians "do anal."  And it "works" for me."

i can def help you  ;)

You are unstoppable, blueb!

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2006, 12:59:48 PM »

imnot going to try and convert you, butt

"I can't answer this question.  But I do count myself lucky that a lot of lesbians "do anal."  And it "works" for me."

i can def help you  ;)

You are unstoppable, blueb!

it was just the perfect opp....
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

odaiko

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2006, 04:35:00 PM »
Out of curiousity, do you think homosexuality is genetic, a learned behavior, or some combination of both? (But don't say it's a choice, because then you'll just get smacked.)

I ask because I've read some articles recently operating on the premise that most gay people believe they were born gay. I'm not sure I agree with this premise because it doesn't align with my own thinking.

I am gay, I know that I've been gay for as long as I can remember, but I don't know if it's because I was born that way or if some set of circumstances/events when I was very young led to my sexuality.

Other thoughts?
University of Pennsylvania Class of 2009!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=agnetha

jiggedyjared

« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2006, 04:37:08 PM »
Most research says that it's a combination of both.  Things like different mixes of hormones, etc, can play a large part in someone's sexuality.  I'd say it's 75% nurture, 25% nature.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2006, 04:40:59 PM »
My feeling is that sexuality (not merely homosexuality or heterosexuality) is produced within culture, and I don't give a lot of credence to these biological studies (such as the one I read about yesterday that has lesbians smelling things differently from straight women).  Also, who cares, really?  Unless we're interested in converting people, we don't really need to know the mechanics of it.  It's not the genetic, nurtured, or chosen nature of monogamous heterosexuality that gives it its special place in our culture.

Anyway, for me, as far as I can tell, it was a political/social choice.  And then I backtracked for a while.  And then things got complicated.