Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Ask a Homosexual  (Read 44085 times)

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Ask a Homosexual
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2006, 12:11:31 PM »
if those seminars that claimed to "cure" gay people worked, would you do it?
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

spud1987

« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2006, 12:20:33 PM »
I have a question.  Are you offended by someone supports gay rights (having equal rights as straight people) but at the same time believes homosexuality is immoral? 

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2006, 12:28:08 PM »
You probably want Bonkers' answers, not mine, but here goes anyway:

No way!  

I have a question.  Are you offended by someone supports gay rights (having equal rights as straight people) but at the same time believes homosexuality is immoral? 

Offended might be the wrong word.  I think I would feel sad for them and worry about queer kids who might grow up in their families.  

I also think that "equal rights" is a rather limited framework for the LGBT rights movement.  Does it include non-discrimination in employment and housing, for instance?  Does it include hate crimes laws (which I do not support, personally, but which have been a huge part of the gay rights agenda)?  Does it include rights to sexual expression, such as buying sex toys or wearing a T-shirt proclaiming one's lesbianism at school?  Being out in the military?  Do you support homosexual sexuality education as part of sex ed.?  These are just a few examples.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

trogdor

• Sr. Citizen
  • the BURNINATOR!
    • View Profile
    • LSN profile
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2006, 12:32:08 PM »

"offended" is an unhelpful word to express any sort of reaction to questions about morality.  i would say "of course" when it's put in such vague terms.  it's highly displeasing.  for one, it assumes that homosexuality is defined simply by one's actions.   of course, almost every gay person will strenuously disagree with that.  there is a much stronger sense of identity than simply sexual pleasure from someone of the same sex.  if a large percentage of the population were to say that your attachments to people of the opposite gender should be protected as part of your freedom, but your actions are evil, how would you feel?
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." Orwell

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2006, 12:34:23 PM »
I'll take these, too.

Do gay men/women have a hard time going to the public bathrooms in front of people they are interested in or significant others?

In news that will surely disappoint some of you, women don't generally go to the bathroom in front of other women.  And no.

What % of gay men do anal? I've heard it's lower than most think, and does that... work for the recipient?

I can't answer this question.  But I do count myself lucky that a lot of lesbians "do anal."  And it "works" for me.

Certain words that also mean homosexual are used as insults towards straight men and even objects.  Are you or others offended when you hear others use "gay" or "fag" as an insult towards straight men?

I think it is more embarrassing for them than it is offensive to me, but yes.  And it's occasionally funny.

That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

jiggedyjared

« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2006, 12:38:11 PM »
In news that will surely disappoint some of you, women don't generally go to the bathroom in front of other women.  And no.

::)
I realize that you're working really hard to try and be funny to other posters, but maybe try harder or something.  Stalls and urinals often adjoin in such a way as to allow for sight and sound transfer.

redemption

« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2006, 12:42:48 PM »
In news that will surely disappoint some of you, women don't generally go to the bathroom in front of other women.  And no.

::)
I realize that you're working really hard to try and be funny to other posters, but maybe try harder or something.  Stalls and urinals often adjoin in such a way as to allow for sight and sound transfer.

Do shut up, will you? I know that you're working really hard to be the resident moron, but that spot's over-subscribed. Putz.

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2006, 12:44:15 PM »
I'll take these, too.

Do gay men/women have a hard time going to the public bathrooms in front of people they are interested in or significant others?

In news that will surely disappoint some of you, women don't generally go to the bathroom in front of other women.  And no.

What % of gay men do anal? I've heard it's lower than most think, and does that... work for the recipient?

I can't answer this question.  But I do count myself lucky that a lot of lesbians "do anal."  And it "works" for me.

Certain words that also mean homosexual are used as insults towards straight men and even objects.  Are you or others offended when you hear others use "gay" or "fag" as an insult towards straight men?

I think it is more embarrassing for them than it is offensive to me, but yes.  And it's occasionally funny.

imnot going to try and convert you, butt

"I can't answer this question.  But I do count myself lucky that a lot of lesbians "do anal."  And it "works" for me."

i can def help you  ;)
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

spud1987

« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2006, 12:45:43 PM »

Good question.  Now, no.  Ten years ago (I'm 28), yes. 

"I have a question.  Are you offended by someone supports gay rights (having equal rights as straight people) but at the same time believes homosexuality is immoral?  "

While I'm glad you support equal rights for gay people (for whatever reason), I doubt we could be friends if you think I'm immoral because I'm gay.

I have many friends who engage in various activities that I don't agree with but their some of my favorite people in the world.  I think people can be friends even though they disagree on certain issues.  

spud1987

« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2006, 12:49:00 PM »

"offended" is an unhelpful word to express any sort of reaction to questions about morality.  i would say "of course" when it's put in such vague terms.  it's highly displeasing.  for one, it assumes that homosexuality is defined simply by one's actions.   of course, almost every gay person will strenuously disagree with that.  there is a much stronger sense of identity than simply sexual pleasure from someone of the same sex.  if a large percentage of the population were to say that your attachments to people of the opposite gender should be protected as part of your freedom, but your actions are evil, how would you feel?

If others thought my actions were evil I wouldn't really care because their beliefs are different than mine and thats okay.  As long as they weren't infringing on my rights, then they are entitled to their beliefs.