Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Ask a Homosexual  (Read 42895 times)

ScoopNY

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Ask a Homosexual
« Reply #120 on: May 19, 2006, 12:04:57 PM »
I totally agree, I've been to the New York Pride Parade about a dozen times and the worst I've seen are some topless middle-aged lesbians. Plenty of dancing boys with their shirts off on the floats, but most of the people in the crowd are indistinguishable from any other parade in New York, except just a tad more fabulous.
In:Northwestern, Emory, Temple ($$), Wash. U($$), Michigan($$$)! Cornell
Out: Columbia
Wait: GULC, NYU.

Phatmal

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 19, 2006, 12:19:52 PM »
Isn't that the truth.  We really need to keep our dullness from becoming public knowledge.  Seriously, how can the Gay Agenda and hetero to homo conversion campaign be a success if everyone finds out how dull, middle aged, and suburbanized we end up being.... :P

Angelina1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 19, 2006, 12:33:38 PM »
Oh puh-leeze.  I came to this thread with my bleeding-heart credentials firmly on my sleeve, but nude dancing and public sex-play in pride parades has about as much to do with "subversive identity politics" as looting during the LA riots had to do with promoting civil rights.  It's all about capitalizing on the opportunity to get a free TV, so to speak.

Pride parades are the one day out of the year when people who feel suppressed can "cut loose" in a supportive environment, so some people go wild with it.  I'm not saying it's "right" or "wrong" (that's more an issue for the gay community to debate internally), but I am saying it's more about the individual than any collective strategy for the greater good.

it's not the same at all.  you can agree or disagree about whether or not it has a positive or negative impact.  i am unsure myself, but i tend to think there are better ways to express yourself.  yet, looting has nothing to do with a person's expression of their identity.  sexual displays do have a lot to do with one's sexual orientation, however.  you may be right about some people doing it for their own reasons, but it also may serve to desensitize the masses to something that many are totally ignorant about and has long been considered "taboo" by many.  the easiest way to make something taboo is to not talk about it or be exposed to the possibility - make it seem as if it's just some underground activity that only a small segment of social deviants engage in.  think of all the sexual displays you see daily in heteronormative culture:  magazine ads with scantily clad women and men in suggestive poses, simulated sex on tv, hot makeout scenes, etc.  these are all taken for granted.  originally, such displays evolved not out of individuals taking advantage of an opportunity to have some fun or to "get a free tv"; it was a collective expression of identity meant to shock heterosexuals and display "pride" in oneself and the collective gay community. 

I totally agree--why shouldn't gay people be just as gross as heteros?  :D

Personally I find it distasteful and rude when people make out on the subway, for instance, regardless of their sexual orientation.
Michigan Law Class of 2009

!!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 19, 2006, 12:43:17 PM »

Personally I find it distasteful and rude when people make out on the subway, for instance, regardless of their sexual orientation.

Yeah... me too.

trogdor

• Sr. Citizen
  • the BURNINATOR!
    • View Profile
    • LSN profile
« Reply #124 on: May 19, 2006, 12:45:45 PM »

is that possible?!  ;)
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." Orwell

Angelina1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 19, 2006, 12:47:08 PM »

is that possible?!  ;)

:D :D  180  :D :D

AtlantaSteve

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SPerkinsManheim
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #126 on: May 19, 2006, 01:34:35 PM »
Geeze, I step away from LSD for a few hours, and people are making it out like I said pride parades are OVERWHELMINGLY about people being exhibitionist.  Hey folks, I work and play in the Midtown and Decatur neighborhoods of Atlanta... I'm pretty familiar with gay pride events.  Of course, I'm only referring to 1% of participants (if that).

At the same time, I still call major B.S. on the apologists who chalk that behavior up to "desensitizing people out of their prejudice".  Give me a break, it only reinforces people's prejudice.  When the African American community organized the Million Man March, were they accepting and supportive of participants "thugging out" in gang colors and firing guns at the sky?  In the immigrant rights protests earlier this month, would organizers have tolerated participants dancing around piņatas and eating tacos while wearing novelty-sized sombreros? 

OF COURSE NOT.  In those scenerios, you could make the same argument that participants are "expressing their identity" through shock value to desensitize people.  Oh, what's that you say?  Those behaviors aren't truly representative of their group's identity, and it's bigotry for me to suggest otherwise?  EXACTLY.  Most gay people are decent, well-adjusted people who practice sexual expression through monogamous loving relationships (well, at least in the same ratios as do straight people, anyway).  A small number of people dancing around and waving their d*cks in the middle of a public street is not "expressing the identity" of America's gay community.  They're expressing an exaggerated perversion of that identity that is used to fuel bigotry and hatred.  With friends like those, homosexuals don't need enemies.

(By the way, the comparisons to Mardi Gras and people making out on subways are spot-on.  How many straight people appreciate that kind of behavior representing THEIR sexuality?  I think there are common standards of "decency" that transcend the gender of your partners, and it represents true acceptance of homosexuals when they are included under that umbrella.)

trogdor

• Sr. Citizen
  • the BURNINATOR!
    • View Profile
    • LSN profile
« Reply #127 on: May 19, 2006, 01:58:30 PM »
At the same time, I still call major B.S. on the apologists who chalk that behavior up to "desensitizing people out of their prejudice".  Give me a break, it only reinforces people's prejudice.  When the African American community organized the Million Man March, were they accepting and supportive of participants "thugging out" in gang colors and firing guns at the sky?  In the immigrant rights protests earlier this month, would organizers have tolerated participants dancing around piņatas and eating tacos while wearing novelty-sized sombreros?

first off, stop with the bad analogies.  these also aren't applicable.

OF COURSE NOT.  In those scenerios, you could make the same argument that participants are "expressing their identity" through shock value to desensitize people.  Oh, what's that you say?  Those behaviors aren't truly representative of their group's identity, and it's bigotry for me to suggest otherwise?  EXACTLY.  Most gay people are decent, well-adjusted people who practice sexual expression through monogamous loving relationships (well, at least in the same ratios as do straight people, anyway).  A small number of people dancing around and waving their d*cks in the middle of a public street is not "expressing the identity" of America's gay community.  They're expressing an exaggerated perversion of that identity that is used to fuel bigotry and hatred.  With friends like those, homosexuals don't need enemies.

of course it's not representative.  that act of being perverse isn't supposed to be representative of how a group expresses that common sexual identity, but it can still serve two purposes (which were part of the ORIGINAL idea of pride, not necessarily what it has changed into - i.e. a demand for equal rights and welcomed assimilation):  1) like i said, shock and desensitize (maybe people think it's disgusting and it reinforces stereotypes, but the breakdown of taboo may be strategically more important initially for advancement), 2) protest (a simple act of defiance to say, "i don't need your approval"). 

don't attribute this to me just being an apologist.  i've already said i think there are more positive expressions, but it's hard to say "get away from us, you freaks".  i think sectarianism is more troubling than these types of limited expressions. 
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." Orwell

ScoopNY

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #128 on: May 19, 2006, 02:18:44 PM »

What if it's late at night and  no one's around?
In:Northwestern, Emory, Temple ($$), Wash. U($$), Michigan($$$)! Cornell
Out: Columbia
Wait: GULC, NYU.

Angelina1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 19, 2006, 02:23:49 PM »

What if it's late at night and  no one's around?

What i can't see can't disgust me!  ;)