Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Ask a Homosexual  (Read 43700 times)

eli250

Re: Ask a Homosexual
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2006, 12:16:04 AM »
cause they dont have to.

and a few folks out of control at gay pride are not representative of all of us.  i have gone and managed to not f*&% anyone in public.  just as the few folks at mardi gras who engage in flashing, public sex, and sex with animals aren't representative of all straight folks

According to most people the people at Mardi Gras don't represent straight folks.  However, at pride...

HK

• Sr. Citizen
  • One country, Two Systems...
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ZacharyJL
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2006, 12:18:30 AM »
and a few folks out of control at gay pride are not representative of all of us. 

eli250

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2006, 12:20:30 AM »
But straight people, especially conservative ones, will take any opportunity to look down on gay people.  Pride gives them that chance. 

caligal

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2006, 12:26:04 AM »
people who wish to judge and look down on others, people who wish to waste their time and energy on hate mongering will find an excuse anywhere...they dont have to even look that hard.  i dont have time for those arguments.  People who want to hate based on race point out the bad behavior of a few to condemn the whole for example...it doesnt make their arguments right.

eli250

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2006, 12:33:02 AM »
people who wish to judge and look down on others, people who wish to waste their time and energy on hate mongering will find an excuse anywhere...they dont have to even look that hard.  i dont have time for those arguments.  People who want to hate based on race point out the bad behavior of a few to condemn the whole for example...it doesnt make their arguments right.

You are completely right.

However, I saw the rhetoric the religious right spewed during the 2004 election in Georgia.  They took every opportunity to bash gay people when they introduced a referendum to deny gay marriage.  They showed pictures from the pride parade, and it made an impact. 

I am completely supportive of gay rights, but I see pride as an opportunity for conservatives to go back to their congregations with evidence of how terrible gay people are. 

Gay people are like us and reasonable people understand this.  But we still need to convince the fundamentalists.  we aren't doing a very good job at that.

caligal

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2006, 12:39:42 AM »
I agree...but cancelling gay pride will not do that.  The gay rights groups that exist have a few problems as I see it...1. money, pure and simple the conservative, religious right has millions and millions more than any gay rights group or even all of them combined.  2. we arent framing the issues right but we are learning;

when campaigns are run pointing out the problems with the inequities such as lost property when a loved one dies, the barring of gay partners from hospitals, the lack of basic tax rights and responsibilities, etc.  it resonates more.  People understand things on these levels.  In states that have fought anti-gay referendums and won, it can all be credited back to their framing of our issues.  it isnt about marriage as the religious institution that most straight people view it as...it is about the rights and responsibilities our government confers upon people who can legally marry. 

We need more money, more straight allies, and better framing of the issues.  As a general rule, the left isnt too good at framing and that is why the conservatives keep whupping our butts in elections. 

eli250

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2006, 12:48:39 AM »
In order for gay people to win the heart of middle America, they must be seen, not simply as outsiders, but as victims.

Y'all are victims of persecution and have been for many years.  However, Pride parades make you look like you are trying to take over america and turn all of the fine christian males into homos.

Trust me, I am on your side, I am just trying to be the devil's advocate and am being blunt about it.

caligal

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2006, 01:06:07 AM »
That is fine..every advocate needs a devil on the other side. ;)

I appreciate your support but hope that if you ever engage in this discussion with conservatives you do not echo their sentiments but rather challenge them on their thinking.  We need more straight allies.

As an aside, if you think of gay pride as the ONE DAY a year homosexuals can feel comfortable in a particular city with showing any sort of public affection -- holding hands, kissing, touching a partner's arm or shoulder in affection, etc. you may understand it a bit better.  Straight people can do it everyday without thinking twice, without looking over their shoulder or questioning what neighborhood they are in.  Maybe homosexuals are like kids in a candy store with a $20 bill and no parental supervision!!!  Our one moment, one day a year of true and public freedom...no wonder some of us get a little crazy!! ;)

I would love to continue the dicussion at a later time but I must admit it is off to bed with me now!  Feel free to post back, I will surely be back on tomorrow since I can't seem to stay away. In the meantime, maybe others will weigh in.

odaiko

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2006, 01:11:32 AM »
I'll happily join the conversation by pointing out eli250's original post (emphasis added)...

What do you think of the Gay Pride parades? I live in the gay section of Atlanta and see the parade every year.  If I were a moderate I would be much more likely to vote for the referendum to ban gay marriage after seeing the parade last year.  Shameful.  Can't y'all f### in privacy.

If you think Gay Pride parades are "shameful", then you're not being the devil's advocate and you're definitely not on my side.
University of Pennsylvania Class of 2009!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=agnetha

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2006, 08:48:57 AM »
whats up with the lisp?  almost every guy ive ever met that had a lisp was gay...
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?