Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: EMERGENCY...Duke vs. NYU  (Read 1866 times)

Pericles

• View Profile
    • Email
EMERGENCY...Duke vs. NYU
« on: May 16, 2006, 06:09:35 PM »
NYU gave me 15K/yr and Duke has done the same. I know I do not want to practice in New York so is there any reason to endure three years of New York life (with little or no spending $$$). Any comments are greatly appreciated.

prolesurge

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: EMERGENCY...Duke vs. NYU
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 06:12:27 PM »
NYU gave me 15K/yr and Duke has done the same. I know I do not want to practice in New York so is there any reason to endure three years of New York life (with little or no spending $$$). Any comments are greatly appreciated.

I think you just answered your own question.

Pt21

• AOL Instant Messenger - primetime211987
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 06:15:32 PM »
I would choose duke if i was in ur situation. Both schools are national so you probably wouldnt have a problem find a job. Plus the cost of living would be a lot cheaper at Duke.

assembletheways

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 06:30:04 PM »
The cost of living was huge for me.

I decided to attend Duke over NYU for this very reason (you will save 30k alone...and NYU's budget I think is very deflated to be honest).

I am very happy with my decision -- I found an apartment for about $400 (the average is $650 in the area), 1.5 miles away from campus (on the other side of the forest). :)

Duke and NYU would place very similarly in areas outside of NYC, I'd guess.

I know I will be happier studying the law in the triangle area rather than NYC. 

That said, NYU is probably a little bit better than Duke, but not enough for me. I talked to professors and alumni from my school, and they said, if I'd be happier studying at Duke, I'd probably do better in the curve, and in the long run end up with a very similar job.

:)

I can offer specific advice about what I've heard, if you know what you are interested in, or where'd you like to live.

Glannon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 07:21:22 PM »
Why such harsh words for city life?  I don't see myself "enduring" NYC, instead I'll have an opportunity to live it up in downtown Manhattan for a few years before I get old and decide I want to live in the 'burbs.

Towlie

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 08:18:54 PM »
I would chose NYU over Duke because, even though I don't like NYC or rural NC, I would prefer city life over non-city life.

Pericles

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 09:17:50 AM »
How much weight does the NYU name carry? Is there a significant drop off in terms of prestige if I chose Duke? Finally, is New York unbearable to live in with little disposable funds? Thanks again for any advice-- I'm truly in a dilemma.

Lenny

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 09:31:33 AM »
For the love, go to Duke.  Yes, NYC is hard to live in even with disposable funds.  Given your focus on money and debt, you would probably choose not to live in Manhattan, opting instead for somewhere way out in Brooklyn or Jersey City or Hoboken.  At that point, you've missed the boat on the ability to say "I lived in NYC."  And no, the prestige difference isn't THAT great.  When comparing such similar alternatives, what really matters is your comfort at the place you choose so that your performance is the best it can be.  You sound like you'd be more comfortable at Duke, so this seems like a no-brainer.  That said, stop asking people that have just as little experience, insight, and perspective as you do about such a huge, important decision and come to your own conclusion.

ACK!

• Sr. Citizen
  • RESIST THE EARTHQUAKE! REUNITE GONDWANALAND!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2006, 09:35:23 AM »
How much weight does the NYU name carry? Is there a significant drop off in terms of prestige if I chose Duke? Finally, is New York unbearable to live in with little disposable funds? Thanks again for any advice-- I'm truly in a dilemma.

If you are interested in working for a “name” firm outside of the Southeast, NYU might make things a bit easier (as far as how far down firms will go in class rank). In the Ciolli study both ranked in national employment roughly where they rank in USNews. This is a pretty marginal difference though (as they’re both great), and it sounds like for you it would not make up the difference of living in NYC.

I also don’t think there is some precipitous drop off in terms of prestige. Prestige tends to lag behind changes in ranking, and NYU’s is still lower than its supposed peer schools Columbia and Chicago. I know it’s horribly flawed, but in the last USNews the reputation score for NYU was 4.5 and for Duke 4.3. I’m not sure this would make up for being in a locale you clearly have no affinity for.
U Chi '09

segundo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Red Sox- Still champs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2006, 09:41:43 AM »
NYU, unless you know you want to live in the South.
BC class of 06'
-----------------
3.4 G.P.A.
162 (June)
166 (October)

Attending Fall 2006: Wake Forest