Law School Discussion

Law Specialization and your Future Plans?

Law Specialization and your Future Plans?
« on: May 16, 2006, 03:26:08 PM »
What type of law specialization will you be studying in Law School and What are your future plans in that area?

...I'm going with the Criminal Law career track and hope to work in a Local, State, or Federal Prosecutors Office.
 upon graduation.

Re: Law Specialization and your Future Plans?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 10:05:03 PM »
Entertainment Law

Towlie

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 10:33:55 PM »
I have no clue what I'm going to do when I graduate. Besides, I hear many people go in wanting to practice one type of law and come out practicing another. I'm going to keep an open mind and see what excites me, I guess.

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 10:58:46 PM »
Right, I kinda feel the same way because I am interested in Entertainment law but not sure about the job prospects in that field. I'm interested in IP Law as well but because I majored in Criminal Justice I would think that would be the best field for me.

Is it expected that your law specialization correlate to you undergraduate major? and is it odd for someone who majored in Criminal Justice in UG to go into something like Corporate law, IP, Entertainment, or Real Estate law?   ???

tacojohn

• "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 06:54:26 AM »
Right, I kinda feel the same way because I am interested in Entertainment law but not sure about the job prospects in that field. I'm interested in IP Law as well but because I majored in Criminal Justice I would think that would be the best field for me.

Is it expected that your law specialization correlate to you undergraduate major? and is it odd for someone who majored in Criminal Justice in UG to go into something like Corporate law, IP, Entertainment, or Real Estate law?   ???
Absolutely not.  It's actually very rare for people to know prior to the start of 1L what specialization they want to go into.  A lot of people end up finding that say, for example, IP law isn't nearly the fast-paced action-packed field they thought it was (I have no idea, maybe it is) and that income taxation is a lot more interesting than they thought.  I believe you can't really say you're set on being a litigator until you take a couple trial advocacy courses.