Law School Discussion

What was the BEST LSAT ADVICE you ever had?

mingus

• Every big cat has some little cat
    • View Profile
Re: What was the BEST LSAT ADVICE you ever had?
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2008, 09:06:34 AM »
I broke into the 99th p'tile, and what helped me the most was routine practice under conditions nearly identical to the test day. 

Every saturday morning for 2 months before test day, and every morning for the one week before test day, I took a practice test under precise timing.  I took every section in the order it came, and didn't quit even when I knew I muffed the logic games.  Only ate during the "snack break," no drinks, no noise, no music, no cigarettes.

The point was to make the testing experience familiar and routine, and to know how to deal with my own hiccups under test conditions if they arose (upset stomach, fatigue, freakouts).  It's not just practicing the test, it's practicing the whole test experience, down to the pencils breaking.

Outside of these practices, I varied my routine, some days all logic, some days from the kaplan 180 book, some days just reading and thinking on the train.

Incidentally, the same strategy helped me pass a practice exam for an administrative agency a few years ago too.

« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2008, 09:24:15 AM »
I broke into the 99th p'tile, and what helped me the most was routine practice under conditions nearly identical to the test day. 

Every saturday morning for 2 months before test day, and every morning for the one week before test day, I took a practice test under precise timing.  I took every section in the order it came, and didn't quit even when I knew I muffed the logic games.  Only ate during the "snack break," no drinks, no noise, no music, no cigarettes.

The point was to make the testing experience familiar and routine, and to know how to deal with my own hiccups under test conditions if they arose (upset stomach, fatigue, freakouts).  It's not just practicing the test, it's practicing the whole test experience, down to the pencils breaking.

Outside of these practices, I varied my routine, some days all logic, some days from the kaplan 180 book, some days just reading and thinking on the train.

Incidentally, the same strategy helped me pass a practice exam for an administrative agency a few years ago too.

Does that include the day before? I assume it does, but I'm just wondering since most people seem to advise taking the day before off. Thanks!

mingus

• Every big cat has some little cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2008, 09:33:28 AM »
I took my last practice test two days before, then I practiced the rest of that day, and drove out to the test site to practice my commute, find the building, figure out parking.  The day before I just relaxed responsibly with friends and got a good night's sleep.

just some guy

• WARNING: May Contain Troll or Flame-like Substance
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2008, 09:42:06 AM »
I took my last practice test two days before, then I practiced the rest of that day, and drove out to the test site to practice my commute, find the building, figure out parking.  The day before I just relaxed responsibly with friends and got a good night's sleep.

Any post that reminds you to throw Ah-Um in the cd player is a good post. Goodbye Porkpie Hat.